To camp I told my other friend we better go check to make sure
    He missed I texted and he told me which way he ran we went to
    The spot I walked 20 yds and there lay a beautiful 10 pt
    We loaded the deer and took him to camp
    My friend couldn’t believe it and accused me of shooting the deer
    I finally convinced him that it was his buck and he was happy happy
    Sometimes I believe he still thinks I shot tgat deer

Comment

One of my most favorite hated threads. Love reading about knuckleheads, hate that deer are the culprits in this case.

Comment

When you’re having a bad day just come to this thread 😂

Comment

I invited a number of guys out from work to thin out the hogs post deer season a few years ago, (three guys I work with and one of their sons). My only instructions were, make sure your gun is sited in and you're ready for cold weather (it was january). We all get out there fairly early, I personally walk everyone to their stands, tell them the direction they can shoot and said to not leave the stand until I came and got them (for everyones safety, didn't want a bunch of people walkin around in the woods with guns goin off).

After awhile, I hear a shot, and think that came from the area where I put my buddies son (he was 19 or so and had hunted by himself before). I was gonna give it awhile to make sure that whatever he shot, died, and I didn't wanna spook anyone elses feeders. a few minutes later, another shot, then another, then another with a few minutes between each.

Turns out the hogs only wanted to go to one feeder and they just kept coming back after every shot. He missed four times.......apparently the whole "make sure your gun is sighted in" part was missed by my buddy (we'll call him Dave) and gave his son his gun with a bad scope.

Spent two boxes of ammo trying to get it sighted in that afternoon but the best any of us could get was a decent group at 20 yards, I told him to take off the scope and shoot iron sights and I'd put him at one of the closer feeders but he was adamant. Well same thing happened for the evening hunt. With Dave's son missing a few more times (wasn't his son's fault) but ironically Dave getting the only kill at another feeder. With hog numbers in the 40's runnin around on 100 acres with all 4 feeders covered we only got a piglet but I'm confident all 40 made an appearance at one point or another that day, everyone was a little bit disappointed.

Fast Forward to August, was going to bring the same guys (minus Dave) with another that was new to hunting to do the same thing before deer season. New guy backed out at last second and the Dave caught wind we were going out and I caved and allowed him to tag along. He assured me that his gun was sighted in this time......It was August and most of the hogs around then/there were fully nocturnal so I told everyone to make sure their guns were sighted in and that they had good lights because we'd be hunting all night. I got everyone setup just before dark then made my way to an extra feeder I had up just for the occasion for me to hunt at.

As soon as I got near my feeder I saw hogs out there and dropped a sow in her tracks. A few minutes later I hear two shots come from Dave's direction. he texted that he had shot at a boar and missed..... the night went on and we had a few shots here and there dropping another 3 lone piglets but nothing else. While I was cleaning some hogs, I had my buddy go pickup Dave from his stand at which point he noticed that Dave's site was wiggling around on his gun......Everyone saw and at least got a shot at pigs which is my main goal when bringing people out there. But that was the last time I brought people out there......

Comment

^^^^
            I’ve got a shifted in rifle, good light, sharp knife, and can get groceries!!

Comment

Not really a mistake, but years ago I remember watching a video one of my uncles made. I was pretty young but as I understand it He got invited on a hunt with my other uncle at a buddies ranch. The rules were my uncle who's buddy owned the ranch, got to shoot a buck and my uncle tagging along got to take a doe.

Well my uncle nabbed him a doe at last light, then went out and staged the doe along the road with some driftwood branches at the head to make it look like it was a HUGE buck when someone would drive up in the dark. He then proceeded to film my other uncle and his buddy as they drove up on this supposed buck.

The reactions were priceless.....Gonna have to steal that one if I ever get invited out on a big ranch for doe only.

Those are the kinda guests you want, ones that understand the rules, abide by them, but are still a blast to have around camp haha

Comment

Any new ones after opening weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I could have been that guest, but had a doe pass and shoot my deer. Say a very nice buck come out and figured that it was better to tell the location to the owners in hope that they could locate him again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Theres a thread on pplfh where a father/son duo on a doe and pig guest hunt killed two donkeys. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Was also told a story this weekend, 2020 deer season. An older man was taken as a guest to shoot a deer. Doe or spike was allowed. He knowingly shot a 8pt instead which was the host's only allotted deer for the season. Then asked the host if he could clean it for him!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok I got one from opening day 2020. I have 3 little brothers 1 is an avid bowhunter, one doe not hunt and one is filthy casual. Last year on opening day he gets to the lease late and does not have time to shoot which he has done very little of. The next morning I give him my Steyr .260 Rem because it is such an easy rifle to shoot even for a noob. Not 10 min after I drop him off I hear a shot and he comes over the radio and says he killed a pig. Awesome one shot one kill pig down, I kill a 2.5yo spike the same morning and all is well. Fast forward to this year and my little bro shows up late to the hunt same as last year. I explain the 13" rule again give him the .260 and put him in the same blind (a pig Hotspot) I did not account for the fact that this stand had been logged this summer and now you could see 400 yards where before you could only see 70 to the feeder. I go out to my stand that night and just as I get off my 4wheeler boom. Little bro comes on the radio and says I shot a deer. I say is it down? He says yeah but its kicking.... oh it's getting up! Shoot again I say quickly. He comes back and says it's too late he already made it to the creek bottom outta sight. I say was it a doe? He says no it was a buck. Im a little confused because the only buck I had seen on cam there in months was a fat little spike. I said was it that little spike? He says no I don't think so.... Oh no Im thinking. I ask did it have one unbranched antler? Little Bro "Whats a branched antler?" I tell him to stay in the stand Im on my way. I get to the stand and ask where the deer was standing when he shot. He points to a spot almost 300 yards from the stand. He had horns I know that he says (Me Face In Palm) IDK what to think so we go to where the deer fell and there is blood everywhere. I am sure it was hit hard so I follow the blood my .357 in hand thinking for sure we are about to clean a 10" fork horn in the backyard. There laying stone dead in the creek bottom 30 yards away is a 14" 3.5yo 8 point. He says did I do ok? I finally exhale and say yeah kid your fine, 2 shots 2 kills some guys have all the luck. Needless to say I am making him practice shooting and deer ageing/point counting/spread judging alot this next off season.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Guest Mistake Stories...

Love this thread and saw this on Facebook yesterday lol

Last edited by 150class; 12-16-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

long Great read, of some great storys... glad to never have been "THAT GUY"

Comment

Well I took out 5 buddies this week with their young sons on a doe hunt. Most these guys are pretty inexperienced so we did are best to make sure we had them in descent positions with short shots. Typical rules no bucks, wait for broadside...
                            Well I take one buddy out with me and his tow boys and my boy. Kids are all around 7. Well most our blinds are small and we can’t fit into the blinds so we just set up on a wheatfield out in the middle where we left a plumb thicket. It’s pretty cold so I tell him as soon as a doe comes out shoot it as the kids weren’t gonna be still for to long.
                            We wait for an hour and see 1 doe that sees a kiddo move and skirts off. 20 min later 3 deer come out. I know one is a good doe, and at least one is just barely off the nipple. So he gets his gun up and I am watching the large doe. The shot goes off and the large doe jumps 10ft to the left. I yell “shoot again” he doesn’t and she runs off. I asked “why he didn’t and he said he saw the doe fall dead in his scope.” Gets me thinking about which deer he just shot. So I scan out there with the binoculars and see the fawn laying dead. Needless to say I congratulated him on a good shot and told him he will need to prepare for a good ribbing that night in camp(which he got). I shot a doe earlier that day and gave him the meat so he could at least have something to go home with. I don’t think the flaws back quarters had 3 pounds of meat. But his boys were proud of him and we had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

I sat there for about a minute pondering the issue in front of me...
                              Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.
                              Step on it? Probably wouldn't work.
                              (The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)
                              Then I hear only a part of something.. "...it's head!"

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

wham-wham-wham-wham-wham (the dove is still looking at me...)
                              wham-wham-wham-wham-wham "What the *eff* are you doing!?!"

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

I have gotten better over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                                I'll add one of my stories. Except this one is about ME! Not a deer hunting story, but bird hunting.

It was probably '98 and it was the first time I'd been dove hunting. Invite came from a co-worker and some of his buddies on family land out in Floresville. I had done some trap and skeet, so I was familiar with the concepts for bird hunting, just had never been.

Anyway, things were going good and I had some kills. About an hour into the hunt and with me hunkered down in deep grass in the middle of a field, I finally got my first non-kill dove. It was lying there on the ground still alive. My buddy was about 80 yds away on the tree line, so I yelled out asking what I should do... "Just kill it!" was the response.

I sat there for about a minute pondering the issue in front of me...
                                Blow it's head off at point blank range with the 12ga? Probably not going to leave anything left of the dove.
                                Step on it? Probably wouldn't work.
                                (The dove kept looking at me trying to figure what kind of idiot I was for taking so long...)
                                Then I hear only a part of something.. "...it's head!"

Oh...OK! (This is the part that even after all these years, I have yet to live down)

My thinking was that its head was the key to killing it, but the actual process is what elluded me. I knelt down and proceeded to (try to) smash its head in with the butt of the shotgun! I must have looked like I was digging for oil with my gun!

wham-wham-wham-wham-wham (the dove is still looking at me...)
                                wham-wham-wham-wham-wham "What the *eff* are you doing!?!"

"I'm trying to kill it!"

I swear for the next few years I was only invited to dove hunts for shear entertainment value as the re-enactments of that afternoon were always well embellished!

I have gotten better over the years...
                                That might be the best one yet

Comment

Working...
                                X