No announcement yet.

Ultrasonic cleaner vs. Tumbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a bud back in AZ that uses both methods to clean his brass.

Tumbles 1st, then wet tumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a wet tumbler with SS pins. As spoken above I used dawn + lemishine because people on the internet recommend it. I use hot tap water to fill it, tumble until water is black with carbon, then drain water and refill with hot tap water and tumble a little more. Maybe excessive? I dunno. But they come out clean.

Comment

Are the brand wet tumblers worth the money over a harbor freight rock polisher? $60 for the HF dual tub vs $160 for the Frankford arsenal

Comment

I have the Frankfort and its been great so far. Can’t speak about other brands.

Comment

Wet tumbling!

Be careful with how much cleaner you end up using. Some of the ultrasonic solutions are acidic and will weaken the brass. If they end up pink, you've got weakened brass from dezincification.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              Are the brand wet tumblers worth the money over a harbor freight rock polisher? $60 for the HF dual tub vs $160 for the Frankford arsenal
              The HF ones work fine, but have a lower capacity. I think I only got 60 300WM in each run before it would slow down or stop. I think my Thumlers could do 10x that np.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanlail View Post
                The HF ones work fine, but have a lower capacity. I think I only got 60 300WM in each run before it would slow down or stop. I think my Thumlers could do 10x that np.

This. I had used the dry case vibrator cleaners for years and they work, but not like the wet tumblers. I kept mine for drying cleaned brass. I have a HF polisher and it works great, but has limited capacity (6 total pounds). Having said that, my Thumler's Model B is a beast and has over twice the capacity (15 total pounds.) You can find used Thumler's on ebay. There is also an interesting 5kg (11 pound) capacity tumbler with a clear polycarbonate drum on ebay for $75.

cricman

Comment

Wet tumbler with SS pins. Use Dawn. Come out sparkling clean.

Comment

Pretty much the same for me

Originally posted by Button View Post
                    I have a wet tumbler with SS pins. As spoken above I used dawn + lemishine because people on the internet recommend it. I use hot tap water to fill it, tumble until water is black with carbon, then drain water and refill with hot tap water and tumble a little more. Maybe excessive? I dunno. But they come out clean.

Comment

I do the ss pins wet tumbler method. Bought mine at harbor freight. Been working for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X