Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dove hearts and tenderloins- art of the cut (pics). How to remove them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove hearts and tenderloins- art of the cut (pics). How to remove them.

Yes it’s a lot of work but I look forward to this every year.

I debone the breast and remove the tenderloins. The breast gets marinated and yes some goes to poppers but most goes straight on the grill to medium rare.

The tenderloins are sautéed with butter, onion and garlic then mixed with brown gravy and put over toast.

The hearts taste like little pieces of beef filet. Coarse salt, pepper, skewer and sear for about 45s per side. Great with a good whiskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I leave the heart attached to the breast when I take the breast out of the bird. I leave the tenderloin attached to the breast meat when I take it off the bone, if I do.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        Too much work

I cannot disagree.... just pluck those breast nuggets off the bone with two end cuts, marinate and wrap em in the Texas dove popper special

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I cannot disagree.... just pluck those breast nuggets off the bone with two end cuts, marinate and wrap em in the Texas dove popper special

I have even less steps. I clean and de breast them. Put them in a bag and give them away to a fellow hunter that is dumb enough to put the work into liver flavored meat. I might eat one popper after a few beers.

Comment

I have even less steps. I clean and de breast them. Put them in a bag and give them away to a fellow hunter that is dumb enough to put the work into liver flavored meat. I might eat one popper after a few beers.

Well we probably cook a little better than you..

Comment

First I like liver but two if you don’t overcook it it doesn’t taste like liver. Past medium rare is over done. I like food with flavor.

Comment

I kept the hearts last year abs sautéed them. They were dang good.

Comment

Buddy and I saved all the gizzards out of dove one year. Cut them open and cleaned them out. They were good fried.

Comment

Yep, too much work for most people, but I'm in it for the food. I love all the different dove recipes.

I tried the livers and gizzards last year...they weren't for me. Livers had a good consistency but I didn't like the flavor. Gizzards- never could get them cooked right even after watching several youtube videos.

Comment

We keep the hearts and gizzards. Gizzards you have to fry

Comment

I’m with you. It’s never “too much work” when you’re on a quest for culinary enlightenment.

I’ve never been a fan of organ meats but your description of the hearts sounds delicious. I plan to tell my husband to start saving them but, earlier, I asked him to field dress the dove a little differently this year (keep the skin on and “spatchcock” them) and there are only so many times I can go to that well.

As for your tenderloin recipe, my mom used to make something similar when I was growing up. We called it “Sh*t on a Shingle.” Hah!

Comment

Pryer sent for you.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          I’m with you. It’s never “too much work” when you’re on a quest for culinary enlightenment.

I’ve never been a fan of organ meats but your description of the hearts sounds delicious. I plan to tell my husband to start saving them but, earlier, I asked him to field dress the dove a little differently this year (keep the skin on and “spatchcock” them) and there are only so many times I can go to that well.

As for your tenderloin recipe, my mom used to make something similar when I was growing up. We called it “Sh*t on a Shingle.” Hah!
                          lol!

Comment

Working...
                          X