No announcement yet.

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for Record Rack deer feeds. Safeguard is the only dewormer feed companies can use in a feed mill. Very safe and can’t harm by overfeeding but can get costly. Our recommended rate can add about $200 per ton to add to your ration. That’s why we offer a maintenance ration that’s 14% protein and more cost effective around $14 retail per bag. Feeding rate is 12lbs per head so you can fill feeders with what you need depending on herd size then go back to regular feed once they’re empty again.

Most ranches deworm twice a year in fall after first freeze and spring. Would recommend getting fecal sample to vet to make sure you have parasites before spending extra money if you have the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Medicated Feed

I just put out 20 bags of L&E medicated. I am using timed feeders. I have alfalfa out as well. Are there any Ill effects if they eat this for several weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
        I just put out 20 bags of L&E medicated. I am using timed feeders. I have alfalfa out as well. Are there any Ill effects if they eat this for several weeks?
        In my experience no.

Comment

We feed our the Lyssy and Eckel medicated.

all deer harvested this year had no ticks or other bugs. also seemed to notice a much more healthier fawn heard

Comment

L&E is sending someone to my place on Monday to collect deer poop.

Comment

My feed store quoted me $1042/ton and it only treats 18 head? That sound right to y’all?

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                My feed store quoted me $1042/ton and it only treats 18 head? That sound right to y’all?

This can not be correct........

Comment

OUCH!!!!

Comment

Doesn't sound right? We pay about 750 a ton for LnE medicated. It sounds like a bunch, but we only feed a little over 1 ton of medicated a year. We have 11 feed stations, and put 2/3 sacks in each feeder in the spring and fall.
                    In all honesty I have no clue how many deer we're actually medicating but remember it only takes 2 or 3 mouthfulls to medicate a deer.
                    In all the deer we have harvested in the last 2 years we've only had one that had parasites present. Pretty good results in my opinion.

Comment

I am on a Facebook group called Habitat managers and have seen some guys talking about this, Repel X for ticks. I personally have not tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Doesn't sound right? We pay about 750 a ton for LnE medicated. It sounds like a bunch, but we only feed a little over 1 ton of medicated a year. We have 11 feed stations, and put 2/3 sacks in each feeder in the spring and fall.
                        In all honesty I have no clue how many deer we're actually medicating but remember it only takes 2 or 3 mouthfulls to medicate a deer.
                        In all the deer we have harvested in the last 2 years we've only had one that had parasites present. Pretty good results in my opinion.

Sounds like it’ll be worth a trip down there to pick up a trailer load. Or my guys fat fingered the keyboard. But I’m not spending 1k for wormer

Comment

We fed it this year and obviously hadn't seen any results but feel it can't be a negative.

Comment

Great info we are getting ready to start a protein regiment on our lease, all this information has been really helpful!!!

Comment

Charles Eckel with L&E out of Llano came to my place yesterday to take some fecal samples. I ask him about the rate of application and he told me they recommend 2 lbs per day per head for 7 days. Using that as a guide, a ton should feed 140+ head.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                                Charles Eckel with L&E out of Llano came to my place yesterday to take some fecal samples. I ask him about the rate of application and he told me they recommend 2 lbs per day per head for 7 days. Using that as a guide, a ton should feed 140+ head.

So basically they’re recommending that you only feed enough for them to clean up in a week?

Comment

Working...
                                X