No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I were out on a cocktail safari this evening and I caught a solid 3 second glimpse with binoculars of a buck I call lopsided running from a feeder. He looked GIANT! Last year he was a 210" 5 yr old 10 pt. Still looked like a 10 pt. so far this yr. Huge frame. His shed is the 101" one I showed earlier in this thread.

IF he grows out as big or bigger as last yr. he may make my hit list this yr. I'll confess that I have never shot a top end trophy off the farm so it will be quite special to take such a magnificent whitetail in my back yard. Nonetheless very special to have such great native deer strutting around for our pleasure.

Comment

If he looks Big Now I would Bet he will Be Huge in Two Months.....Good Luck To Ya Rusty

Comment

Can't wait to see a pic of that freak
        Great thread elgato

Comment

It's a hot lazy Sunday afternoon in La. so I thought I would write a bit about the history of deer management on the farm.

For decades my neighbor and I managed for trophy deer using widely accepted conventional tactics . We had 2 or 3% of our property in food plots growing both summer and winter crops. We practiced annual timber stand improvement to increase the value of the timber as well as enhance the habitat for wildlife. We aggressively shot does, culled 'inferior' bucks and tried to let bucks mature. The herd was below carrying capacity according to traditional beliefs.

Nonetheless despite our passion, attention, experience and desire we rarely consistently grew mature bucks much less trophy bucks. It was as if all our management efforts resembled pouring water thru a colander. In spite of having over 2500 acres between us many of our yearling bucks were dispersing off the farm and over time many of the bucks we were trying so hard to grow would take a walkabout off the farm and get shot. Trophy bucks were rare to non existent.

Then one day I was riding around the farm with my wife when she asked a eureka question... " What fun is it to work so hard trying to grow deer and when you ride around you hardly ever see any? " Hmmmmm Brilliant woman. Got me to thinking. So we changed strategies in the neighborhood.

We increased our food plot acreage to over 10% of the property and got very aggressive with nutrition.We doubled down on protein feeders and enhanced the quality of our feed. We stopped shooting does for a couple of years to let the herd increase. Then spent 4 yrs. building a game fence around the entirety of the 2500 acres...very challenging considering the nature of the terrain. That was 4 yrs. ago and the deer herd today bears no resemblance to what we had for so many years before.

Today we are still well below carrying capacity though the herd has more than doubled in size. We retain all the bucks we grow and have many mature trophies including some giants. We ride around in the summer enjoying watching velvet bucks and the hunting is a blast. To be sure it is as challenging as ever. Hunting a specific buck is extremely challenging and there are bucks I have never seen with my eyes despite being on the farm almost everyday. However the difference is on a typical day you will see bucks almost every time including some big ones. My wife is right...once again. That is a lot more fun!

Growing trophy bucks is a numbers game. Only a small % of mature bucks will be trophies and an even smaller number giants. So it takes high recruitment of bucks annually to ensure an opportunity for the rare extraordinary ones. That means you have to have enough does to ensure high recruitment. Thus the more the better as long as you can ensure nutrition in the 100% 365 days a year every year of a deers life.

So today we are still doing all the things we historically did. We have just amplified it to more deer and have the opportunity to fully realize the complete extent of our efforts.And the results have been amazing.

Comment

very cool. Sounds like a dream. Truly a blessed property and a blessed deer herd. I wonder what your deer per acre ratio is. I have never seen any of your food plots destroyed, so I know you are feeding them well.

Also, good luck this year. I hope it is the year you harvest a buck off your hitlist.

Comment

You are doing things right, my friend!! Love your management tips, but more importantly I just love listening!! You're living all of our dreams......Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks again, I am learning from your experience and that is less costly ( my dollars and my time) than learning from my experience I am working with a much smaller property, but with the same ideas apply. I look forward to reading your day on the farm

Comment

The portal to paradise! My home and more importantly my vegetable garden are outside the game fence. So to avoid having to open a gate countless times a day I built this 'cattle guard' that deer cant/wont cross.

14'x14'. Never have seen a deer cross it though there are plenty in the neighborhood. This entry is about 200 yds. from my door. I plant the first 1/2 mile of the road you can see there with everything imaginable so we start seeing deer immediately. The females get quite used to the traffic thus fairly mellow. Mellow does...rutting bucks...fun combo!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    The portal to paradise! My home and more importantly my vegetable garden are outside the game fence. So to avoid having to open a gate countless times a day I built this 'cattle guard' that deer cant/wont cross.

14'x14'. Never have seen a deer cross it though there are plenty in the neighborhood. This entry is about 200 yds. from my door. I plant the first 1/2 mile of the road you can see there with everything imaginable so we start seeing deer immediately. The females get quite used to the traffic thus fairly mellow. Mellow does...rutting bucks...fun combo!
                    Too cool!!!! I think that gates needs a Phillips sign hanging from it!

Comment

Really like your place, how is the garden doing?

Comment

I know it's not even July yet and I normally dont start cameras till first of August. But I thought I would share some pics of bucks we are seeing as I scout around. I saw this one Thursday afternoon at 8:15 pm and ran 500 yds to get closer and watch. He still has a lot of growing to do but nonetheless took my breath. Last yr he was a main frame 10 w 7 kickers scoring about 195. I think he will soar past 200 this yr.
                        Attached Files

Comment

No doubt 200" +

That is exceptional considering it's still June

Comment

Following this one.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              I know it's not even July yet and I normally dont start cameras till first of August. But I thought I would share some pics of bucks we are seeing as I scout around. I saw this one Thursday afternoon at 8:15 pm and ran 500 yds to get closer and watch. He still has a lot of growing to do but nonetheless took my breath. Last yr he was a main frame 10 w 7 kickers scoring about 195. I think he will soar past 200 this yr.
                              Do you have imported genetics or are they all native?

Comment

All native homegrown bucks. Never have done DMP, TTT, or any introduction of any kind. THe central theme I hope to convey with this thread is what [ and how ] can happen if you keep nutrition at 100% 365 days a year for many years. I believe the deer in the photo to be a 5 yr old.

Comment

Working...
                                X