Ar15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar15

Is it really worth it to put one together yourself? I have a stripped lower, Anderson if memory serves me correct, an Anderson lower parts kit, an Anderson stripped upper receiver and an Aero upper parts kit.

It's been a long time since I put one together, like years and years ago, and not sure these days if it's cheaper to buy one or.....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

These days it is def cheaper to put in together yourself especially if you already have all those parts, most $500 ar’s are now 750-1000 ar’s plus you get to pick your parts and have better parts on it than just buying a “cheap”

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
      These days it is def cheaper to put in together yourself especially if you already have all those parts, most $500 ar’s are now 750-1000 ar’s plus you get to pick your parts and have better parts on it than just buying a “cheap”
      This brother! All day!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
        This for sure!

Comment

If you want to make a 300blk I’ve got an aero precision barrel that has less then 20rnds down it.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
            If you want to make a 300blk I’ve got an aero precision barrel that has less then 20rnds down it.
            Length? Price?

Comment

Originally posted by dfwpi View Post
              length? Price?

Sent from my sm-g998u using tapatalk
              16” $150

Comment

anderson parts....... :/

Comment

Originally posted by STJ View Post
                  Yes? No?

Comment

I don’t want to talk down on anyone who’s exercising 2nd amendment rights. Anderson lowers can work flawlessly, CAN key word. If using it for nothing more than shooting paper then try it out! If using it for anything else I would HIGHLY disregard it. Anderson is the dollar store equivalent in the AR world.

This is a good listen for sure, and a total recommendation for San Antonio based Sons of Liberty Gun Works

Primary & Secondary podcast- modcast 130 gun nerds QA/QC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All that aside I do run aero lower parts kits. Never tried a upper. But I have been happy with their consistency thus far on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s cheaper to put one together if you already have the parts. I personally prefer factory or custom builds over franken-guns. Also, why buy the pieces if you didn’t already plan to build one?

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                          It’s cheaper to put one together if you already have the parts. I personally prefer factory or custom builds over franken-guns. Also, why buy the pieces if you didn’t already plan to build one?
                          Guess probably because I was looking for something in gun safe and ran across 4 stripped lowers I've had in safe for about 3 years, and then a bag with the other stuff.

I really need to go thru my safe and probably clean it out to see what I still have hidden. I moved a few things and found half a case of Dove loads in one corner and about 50 rounds of 00 Buckshot. Found a Kimber 45 I had forgot was in there and another revolver I was given back in the early 90s for being Officer of the Year.

Last edited by DFWPI; 05-01-2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

i'll take a stripped lower off your hands if you decide to part ways with one ...
                            as far as your original question, you can't make a mercedes out of chevy parts ... but that doesn't mean a chevy won't take you from point a to point b ... many "manufacturers" that put their names on stuff don't always "make " lowers or uppers out of their own forgings ... however, the sum of all parts is what makes it a serious tool or range toy.

I would be most concerned about moving parts , as if they are out of specs or inferior, the gun won't run right ... barrel choice is key.. a good barrel in a cheap lower usually still shoots good ... some manufacturers sell barrels with matched bolts that are a precise mate .. after that.. it gets pretty vanilla ... a cheap lower as long as all the holes are in the right place will or should be just fine ... i have one that was a fraction out of specs and it would cause my giessele trigger to run off ... swapped it out for a trigger group that was in it's own housing so tolerances remain perfect, and never had an issue since .. put the geissele in a billet lower and it too works fine ..

i think you may end up with a better built rifle than say a palmetto , with select parts , and some palmettos run just fine too... much like you can pay a ton for a P.O.F , and have to send it back countless times to get it to shoot ( friend of mine sent his back 8 times)

i would not run bottom of the barrel anderson everything , but a lower or even stripped upper ... sure ... then i'd get more picky on the rest of the stuff and you'll end up with a darn nice rifle if it's put together correctly ...

factory lpk anderson or otherwise suck regardless ... i use some parts some times , then replace this or that for something better depending on the need ...

i'm no expert, but much like you get satisfaction of taking an animal with the bullets or arrows you made , making your own rifle just the way you like it is pretty rewarding. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by STJ View Post

Great contribution to the thread :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X