Long range shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range shooting?

Now with CCC closed I’ve been calling around to find a new range.

Seems fossil point has an $89 3 hour course to shoot 800 yards (pretty boring shooting that with an APR) I qualified before this in 9 shots with an old gun but they said that won’t work.

Some won’t allow anything over 308cal. (Buddy has a 338)

Where is everyone going? Fossil point said everyone is calling them to see what they offer in long range but 800 isnt great.

Im sure there was a post but search wasn’t working for me. Any suggestions? Seems long range shooting is getting chopped down now.

Scott

you got http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/ they are in terrell and got 1 mile ..
    i contacted them and non member 1 day pass would be $75.

I have not personally had a chance to go and check them out so can't really comment on how good or nice the range is , but it's there ...

hope that helps.

Comment

Yea I looked at them but 338 lapua is not allowed I believe so knocked out my buddy I usually go with. A mile would be plenty for the stuff we are looking for to.

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
      you got http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/ they are in terrell and got 1 mile ..
      i contacted them and non member 1 day pass would be $75.

I have not personally had a chance to go and check them out so can't really comment on how good or nice the range is , but it's there ...

hope that helps.

Comment

I haven't shot out at Fossil Pointe in a while, but fortunately qualified before the change. I'm new at long range, so for now 800 is plenty good for me. Now if you could only get ammo without selling your soul.

Comment

in

Comment

Just picked up 8lb of RL 33 and 600 primers and tons of 308 and Creedmoor ammo at Scheels today. They had lots of powder that would work for most rounds. Not perfect ones but you could shoot.

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
            I haven't shot out at Fossil Pointe in a while, but fortunately qualified before the change. I'm new at long range, so for now 800 is plenty good for me. Now if you could only get ammo without selling your soul.

Comment

Thanks, that store is crazy, went there for the first time about a month ago.

Comment

It’s nowhere near your neck of the woods, but the West Texas Ordnance guys are building the Caprock Rifle Club out here in WTX currently. It’s good to 2500 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  Just picked up 8lb of RL 33 and 600 primers and tons of 308 and Creedmoor ammo at Scheels today. They had lots of powder that would work for most rounds. Not perfect ones but you could shoot.
                  Did they have small rifle primers?

Comment

Yes small rifle magnums

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    Did they have small rifle primers?

Comment

My buddy had a gun built by them. Great guys. Still want a 7 SAW from them.

But not willing to drive that far just yet

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      It’s nowhere near your neck of the woods, but the West Texas Ordnance guys are building the Caprock Rifle Club out here in WTX currently. It’s good to 2500 yds.

Comment

I don’t know distances on the ranges near Dallas but just a few that come to mind that may be worth looking closer at.

ETTS
                        BTAC
                        Jacobs Plain
                        Spartan Tactical
                        Fouled Bore (OK)

Cawthon Cartridge Club in Millican, Tx too.

Comment

Used to be a private range outside of Glen Rose too that held the Lone Star PRS matches. No idea of it’s status now though. My guess is the Alamo guys would know more about it.

Comment

Are you having to take this class to shoot on the long range? I have already qualified 3 of my guns on the 200 yard range by shooting sub moa. Does this still count? Last time I qualified one there was a guy there that said he ran the long range now. And was talking about giving lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark116 View Post
                              Are you having to take this class to shoot on the long range? I have already qualified 3 of my guns on the 200 yard range by shooting sub moa. Does this still count? Last time I qualified one there was a guy there that said he ran the long range now. And was talking about giving lessons.
                              If you're already qualified then you're grandfathered in, but they "suggest" you take the course.

Comment

Working...
                              X