No announcement yet.

Protein/Cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed is not a full ration and does not have everything it takes to grow a whitetail deer it s a supplement. Where a full ration deer pellet will do it all. But everyone wants to find the easy way to get protein to the deer and not have to worry about the feed getting wet in the rain and other animals eating it. Along with any other problem that may come along.

You know when people don’t have big deer (low fence ) on their place it’s because they don’t have the minerals in the ground. That’s why they fertilize the weeds and the brush. Not because they don’t have enough protein. And fat, it only takes so much and then it’s too much, they only need about 4 to 6% fat in their diet.

The rule of thumb that Dr Mick Hellickson told me was “if you are only going to feed one then feed pellets, but if you are going to feed cottonseed then you need to feed pellets also. ”

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
      Cottonseed is not a full ration and does not have everything it takes to grow a whitetail deer it s a supplement. Where a full ration deer pellet will do it all. But everyone wants to find the easy way to get protein to the deer and not have to worry about the feed getting wet in the rain and other animals eating it. Along with any other problem that may come along.

You know when people don’t have big deer (low fence ) on their place it’s because they don’t have the minerals in the ground. That’s why they fertilize the weeds and the brush. Not because they don’t have enough protein. And fat, it only takes so much and then it’s too much, they only need about 4 to 6% fat in their diet.

The rule of thumb that Dr Mick Hellickson told me was “if you are only going to feed one then feed pellets, but if you are going to feed cottonseed then you need to feed pellets also. ”

This is where Fortified cotton seed comes in. I haven’t started feeding it, yet, but I am intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
        I know of a feed that does not require seed for its fiber value.

PM if interested.

PS—I managed 30,000 acres in south Texas. Been through them all.
        No need to PM, just share it with the group and let’s see those pictures as well.

Comment

I’ll stick with PM’s for those interested. I’ll be happy to share everything I know and have. I’ll even meet u at your lease or ranch and offer any insight I have. I just have some experience but am not an expert. Just did some research and asked a lot of questions.

The only thing that I will argue here is that many will buy protein at the lowest price they can or whatever is easiest to get. I understand. Feeding deer is expensive and difficult. Especially on a large place. But they will also feed seed as well. So now you have an added expense of the seed as well. Most feeds have c seed or meal already in them so c seed is really needed for the fiber.

So I believe in spending extra on the protein that has the fiber needed.

Not gonna start a protein war here.

PM and I’ll even share my number as well as the reps.

Comment

I’ll stick with PM’s for those interested. I’ll be happy to share everything I know and have. I’ll even meet u at your lease or ranch and offer any insight I have. I just have some experience but am not an expert. Just did some research and asked a lot of questions.

The only thing that I will argue here is that many will buy protein at the lowest price they can or whatever is easiest to get. I understand. Feeding deer is expensive and difficult. Especially on a large place. But they will also feed seed as well. So now you have an added expense of the seed as well. Most feeds have c seed or meal already in them so c seed is really needed for the fiber.

Are you singing to Double Down song? If your truly interested in help just come out and say it!

Comment

No. Avoiding how all that goes.

Comment

'

Why don’t you provide the lab results? You know we have a famous thread on here about deer feed ingredients. Or tell us the name of the feed and we can get the lab results.

Comment

How much fiber does a whitetail need?

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                    '

Why don’t you provide the lab results? You know we have a famous thread on here about deer feed ingredients. Or tell us the name of the feed and we can get the lab results.
                    Ful-o-pep, he's talking about the Ful-o-pep feed....

Comment

Like I said—for those interested I will share my number and what I have experienced with anyone interested. If people like what they are feeding, I don’t want to get slam what they are doing.

Biggiesmalls—i sent the information to you with the hope you may have had some respect for what I was trying to do as I have seen how these discussions go and obviously you couldn’t do it.

My offer still stands for those interested. I’ll give you my number and even come to your place.

Comment

[ATTACH]1048036[/ATTACH]

Low fence

Comment

Protein/Cotton

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
                          I switched to Fortified Cottonseed. Vert vert little waste as compared to protein. Coons don't eat it, doesn't go bad when it rains, pigs don't eat it either.

I did the same thing and run the corn/soybean mix in my protein feeder now instead of pellets.

They love the fortified CS and eat 250 pounds per week. I also throw out a bag of large range cubes and they eat them down fast. I also still feed Bee County protein but in troughs now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X