Hot Water - Tankless on demand vs traditional hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GARY View Post
    Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).

I wouldn’t recommend an electric tankless. They require gobs of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I love my tankless, but I would typically suggest not going this route on electric.

Because you are a new build, you might look into though. It take ALOT of energy to do, so your will have a pretty significant dedicated circuit if you do.

Comment

I have propane tankless along with several propane appliances at my place.

I’d recommend putting propane tank. Either buried or above ground.

My wife can get her giant tub continuously hot and I can run 4 shower heads as hot as I want for as long as I want. It just feeds our side of the house. But 11 years going strong.

But if you’re set on full size we have a 50 gallon with a recirculating pump for the kids and the kitchen. We went with two because the areas were very far apart plumbing wise. It’s the second one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I wouldn’t recommend an electric tankless. They require gobs of power.

Never understood this. 🤔
          We have a small Eco Smart electric tankless in our living quarters in the shop. Does everything we need at only 3.1gpm output. 1 shower, 2 sinks, dishwasher and a washing machine. Yes, it’s wired to a double pole 50amp breaker but it ain’t using electricity when it ain’t working???? I know you know more about this than I do Mike but my electric bill ain’t much at all.

That said, our new house we are building has 2 gas (propane) Navien NPE-240A units in the attic.

Comment

Do you have a timer on your pump? It should only be circulating at peak usage times. Otherwise you are constantly reheating the water.

I do and have had one since 03 or 04. I couldn’t imagine not having one.
            I would change one thing if I were building though, I would buy 2 and split the house so it’s not so long for the hot water to get to the tap.
            We have 1 unit and we run 2 baths, washer, dishwasher and all the sinks on it and have no issues.
            Our first unit (older style) we could only run 2 of the bigger items above at one time or the water wouldn’t get as hot, now with the newer unit no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
              Never understood this. [emoji848]

We have a small Eco Smart electric tankless in our living quarters in the shop. Does everything we need at only 3.1gpm output. 1 shower, 2 sinks, dishwasher and a washing machine. Yes, it’s wired to a double pole 50amp breaker but it ain’t using electricity when it ain’t working???? I know you know more about this than I do Mike but my electric bill ain’t much at all.

That said, our new house we are building has 2 gas (propane) Navien NPE-240A units in the attic.

Your example shows what I am talking about. A small unit as you put it has to have 100amps if inefficient electric heat to provide a minimal amount of hot water.

Some of the larger units take (3) 240V circuits up to 100amps to provide the water output needed.

That causes you to have to upsize your service, panel, etc.....to accommodate them resulting in more up front cost.

We elected to go with (2) 50 gallon propane tank style heaters in our house with a circulating system. I get hot water anywhere in my house in under 10 seconds. It’s on a timer so it only runs for about 4 hours a day. We have a huge jetted tub in our master that my wife likes to soak in as well as a large walk in shower with multiple heads and we’ve never run out of water.

200 gallons of propane last is about 3-4 months and that includes using it for cooking and our outdoor hot tub and 2 fireplaces with gas.

I’m not saying my way is the only way but it works well for us at a seemingly reasonable cost.

Comment

Just get you a burner and a big pot. Take ho baths like at your old camptrailer.

>E

Comment

We went tankless on our barndominium in Iowa. Richmond Encore series (made by Rheem and sold at Menards). We installed the highest capacity (199,900 btu) even though it is just the two of us. Ours is on LP gas. We installed it in my wife's laundry room.

We love it.

https://www.richmondwaterheaters.com...ct-vent-indoor

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We did tankless and love it, replacing is east of you were to have trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      Never understood this. 🤔

i agree with you,,, most are repeating hear say at best,,,

Comment

Building a Barndo as we speak and I’m going tankless on LP gas. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them so hopefully it works good for me!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          i agree with you,,, most are repeating hear say at best,,,
                          Obviously; if they had one they wouldn't spout that ignorance.
                          I've had a Stiebel for 10 years; actually one in the guest house, one in the big house.
                          They work great. I think it is only about 10 seconds before the water starts warming up enough to get into the shower.
                          Nope, the electric bill is very reasonable !

Comment

Finishing a build right now. Chose two propane tankless because I have 4 kids. There’s never enough water in my current rental and my previous house, both had tanks. We did separate the two tankless on the build to each side of the house. The kids rooms are on one side of the house and the master is on the same side as the kitchen.

Comment

2nd home where I had an electric on demand water heater installed and don’t have any complaints. Bill isn’t bad and endless hot water is priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have a timer on your pump? It should only be circulating at peak usage times. Otherwise you are constantly reheating the water.

I am not sure but will need to check this out. I should know this but if so I forgot about it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X