Hot Water - Tankless on demand vs traditional hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Water - Tankless on demand vs traditional hot water heater

Doing my first build of any kind. Will be building a barndo on family place (no gas / all electric). 2,100 sq ft finished out for living with a 1,000 shop and utility room (washer , dryer, sink etc..).

Will be weekend home until retirement, then our primary residence until such time we take over the home places. Then it will revert to extra square footage when kids/grandkids visit and party hosting place.

Any advantages with on demand as compared to a traditional hot water heater. Cost differences, preferences, regrets..etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Its not on demand but you don't have to worry about running out of hot water if using gas. It is more expensive but if you will have extensive usage you will not risk running out.

Comment

Interested in reading responses too. Tagged

Comment

When I built the house I live in now I had them put 2 gas tankless heaters. I'm still unsure and not necessarily sold on them. First both are in attic and the master is across house. Water needs to run for awhile till.it gets hot. Way more than a water heater. If i were to do again I'd put one that just runs master and another for rest of house.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
          When I built the house I live in now I had them put 2 gas tankless heaters. I'm still unsure and not necessarily sold on them. First both are in attic and the master is across house. Water needs to run for awhile till.it gets hot. Way more than a water heater. If i were to do again I'd put one that just runs master and another for rest of house.

It doesnt have to run anymore than a tanked water heater if the tank is in the same place as the tankless. A circulation pump will fix you issue.

Comment

the home we just bought last Jan has a gas tankless and it is GREAT especially if you like to stay in the shower for a while. Yes it does take time to get hot water to other areas of the house. but it does not matter if the wife is doing the washing machine or dish washer and you are taking a shower, it does not run out of hot water. Ours is set at 120 top degrees but can be lowered at the controls or via the faucet. Only maintanince is to have it descaled once a year. If I was to build a house I would put one in it.

Comment

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post

Does yours have a continuous recirculating line on the system? Ours does and it cuts down on the wait time. Downside in our case it does use more C3 than I expected with the recirculating line. We live a very rural area and have C3 but the only two things we have on gas is the stove top and water heater.

Comment

Tankless on demand. No sense in putting space for traditional tank heater and plumbing for one when probably in near future they will not be available.

Comment

Tankless all the way. Run a circ line with it and you will be a happy camper. Also dont forget to run at least one hot water line to a faucet/hose bib outside with a small to medium size cement pad. Great for cleaning up things outside or washing the dog without having to stand in a mud hole.

Comment

Big plumbing friends of mine say to avoid the on demand ones. Lots of service issues you don’t get with the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just did a tankless. Hope it works well. Following...

Comment

Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
                        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                          Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
                          I have a small one on electricity in a barndo. No complaints but I have learned that in the winter time do not turn the shower "hot" on full volume. About a quarter turn then adjust the cold and will have more hot than you can stand for as long as you want. Apparently, the small unit won't keep up with heating in winter temps at full volume. This is basically a weekend place with kitchen and bath, no washer or dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            Does yours have a continuous recirculating line on the system? Ours does and it cuts down on the wait time. Downside in our case it does use more C3 than I expected with the recirculating line. We live a very rural area and have C3 but the only two things we have on gas is the stove top and water heater.

Do you have a timer on your pump? It should only be circulating at peak usage times. Otherwise you are constantly reheating the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

i have ben running an electric tankless for almost 10 years now, the first one was in my shop were only one faucet and a shower were hooked up,,, it was a very small unit and it had no problem keeping my shower hot as long as i wanted to stay in it, i really do like the adjustable temp setting on the tank,,, i found what was comfortable and used no cold water at all in the shower, only turned on the hot faucet
                              I lost the business that was in the shop with the flood from Harvey,,, we also lost our entire home,,, ,so we gutted the shop and built the house inside ,,, I went right back with an electric tankless but of a larger but not huge size,, and it will run both showers the washing machine, dish washer, and kitchen sink, and keep up with all of them!
                              I keep hearing about the horrendous cost of an electric tankless heater,,, I have not seen it!! my average monthly electric bill is under $120! that includes two people at least 2 showers a day clothes at least every other day, the dish washer at least every other day, 3 ac units ( mini splits which some rooms are cut off for longer periods of time but the master bedroom living and dining room run regularly heat or ac ),, the electric stove , microwave, drier and all too often every light bulb in the house and at least 4 outside!!
                              when the daughter and son in law and their 5 kids are at the house it is sometimes 6 -9 showers a day!

now we did go as energy efficient as possible with the build. The outside and inside walls both insulated, the walls between the rooms are insulated as well as the ceiling and the metal roof,,, all lights in the house are led.... but still the average bill is under 120$ for electric... almost forgot the well runs on it too!
                              the house part of the building is a little under 1600 sqft.

I think I will keep the tankless electric,,, even though their is one big disadvantage,,, when the power does go out there is ZERO hot water,,, but since their is no water at all,, what difference does it make for no hot water?

Comment

Working...
                              X