No announcement yet.

Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a serious conversation, that will result in any useful answers, will be difficult on here because there are to many biologists on the GS with greatly varying opinions..
    But with that being said, its not rocket science.. It sounds like ya'll are on the right track..

We are a small place but we try our best to make the genetics better by passing a lot of great young deer every year, many that we never see again.. They jump the fence and die.. We also pass big mature(4 year old) 6 points and 7 points and continue to see them year after year(neighbors wont kill them either) never to gain a point.. We do this just to see what they will do.. They NEVER do much but eat and get bigger bodied and meaner.. Some will die this year..
    We DO NOT shoot spikes unless they are 3+.
    Last edited by PondPopper; 10-19-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

What we’ve done which is low fence. Is after the 13 inch rule came out and then the doe seasons. We’ve killed a lot of does to straighten out the buck to doe ratio. We had a lot of does that weren’t getting bred and having fawns. We picked those out and shot them. Spikes were on the target as well. Reason for it. Is we had deer the same age as them that looked better than the spike. So if we knew the deer is on its second set of hard horns and it’s still a spike. He was getting shot and it will remain that way. This has all worked wonders for our place. The only problem is since it’s low fence the deer can’t mature because the people around us kill anything that is legal. 3-4 year old deer is mature at our place just because of that. What I think has really helped the most is the killing the does. Used to the bucks didn’t have to fight or go looking for does because they could just have their pick. Now they gotta go look for them. Prolly get flamed for shooting 2 year old spikes. But what we have done has improved our herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
        What we’ve done which is low fence. Is after the 13 inch rule came out and then the doe seasons. We’ve killed a lot of does to straighten out the buck to doe ratio. We had a lot of does that weren’t getting bred and having fawns. We picked those out and shot them. Spikes were on the target as well. Reason for it. Is we had deer the same age as them that looked better than the spike. So if we knew the deer is on its second set of hard horns and it’s still a spike. He was getting shot and it will remain that way. This has all worked wonders for our place. The only problem is since it’s low fence the deer can’t mature because the people around us kill anything that is legal. 3-4 year old deer is mature at our place just because of that. What I think has really helped the most is the killing the does. Used to the bucks didn’t have to fight or go looking for does because they could just have their pick. Now they gotta go look for them. Prolly get flamed for shooting 2 year old spikes. But what we have done has improved our herd.
        The problem with this at our place is when the "go look" across the fence BANG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          Having a serious conversation, that will result in any useful answers, will be difficult on here because there are to many biologists on the GS with greatly varying opinions..
          But with that being said, its not rocket science.. It sounds like ya'll are on the right track..

We are a small place but we try our best to make the genetics better by passing a lot of great young deer every year, many that we never see again.. They jump the fence and die.. We also pass big mature(4 year old) 6 points and 7 points and continue to see them year after year(neighbors wont kill them either) never to gain a point.. We do this just to see what they will do.. They NEVER do much but eat and get bigger bodied and meaner.. Some will die this year..
          We DO NOT shoot spikes unless they are 3+.
          Those older 6 and 7s get smoked on our place haha. I guess we shoulda culled my 165” deer since his G2s were short

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            The problem with this at our place is when the "go look" across the fence BANG!!!
            Yep I let a nice 10 point walk last year opening morning chasing a doe. Jumps into the neighbors and it wasn’t 20 seconds they shot. Woulda been my best deer too but he needed another year. So now if I like a buck I shoot them. I hate to be that way but might as well get the joy out it like the neighbors

Comment

Two year old spikes are an anomaly...

Comment

This is a JTeLarkin thread in the making....Have some success and start a debate with the experts

Comment

Both the high fence ranches I hunt manage very differently than we do on our small low fence place. On our place, we just focus on getting them mature. I’ll let a guest shoot a young deer if it’s junk but I’m not worried about culling young deer. When we “cull” it’s to remove a buck using the resources and habitat that would better serve other bucks with more potential.

We had a couple “cull” 4 year olds blow up this year.

The high fence ranches cull pretty hard and we shoot low end 8-9 point bucks at at 3. But those ranches have introduced genetics, massive feeding programs with food plots, cottonseed and protein and they grow some real monster youngsters. Why do we need to keep 110 inch 3 year old 8 points around? They never turn in to 170s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2 and 3 yr old spikes?!? I want on this lease!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I love an upper 30s to 149” 8 point ...
                      I bet Cha do

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        This is a JTeLarkin thread in the making....Have some success and start a debate with the experts
                        Big negative. I’m not changing a thing and this post has nothing to do with my deer. That deer was there and big before I came along.

I figured I could ask a legit question here but I guess not. I have several friends with big ranches that cull heavily and grow some huge deer. When this video was sent to me it was pretty surprising. I wanted some input is all.

And your comment was pretty ****ty. I’m far from an expert. But I’ve had a lot of success over the years and finally put a good deer down. Has zero to do with this topic. Our management wats won’t change.

Comment

Kicking this old horse again.

Comment

I’m out. Y’all keep posting dumb crap and looking for tracking dogs. Post a serious hunting topic and get hammered. Good grief

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              I love an upper 30s to 149” 8 point ...
                              Definitely nice. I'm all about 125 ish 8s that are big and mature if I can get 'em. Of course, bigger is better and cooler looking though.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                I’m out. Y’all keep posting dumb crap and looking for tracking dogs. Post a serious hunting topic and get hammered. Good grief
                                Too soon. Too soon.......

Comment

Working...
                                X