Tomatoes in Gumbo by DJ Rhett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flex View Post
    No Okra, No Tomatoes, Roux darker than the dark chocolate.
    This^^^^^

Comment

If you want tomatoes in gumbo buy the can stuff but don't call it Gumbo!!

Comment

Ha

Comment

Old man at Lake Fork was bragging on his gumbo one year. Said he had won the church gumbo cook off every year! He brought some by one day and it had tomatoes, ears of corn, and carrots!!!

I told him he he made stew! His wife later told me they do votes for $.25 a piece and he put's $100 bill in his box every year at voting!

I used to think you couldn't screw up gumbo! I was wrong!!!

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
            My wife, a full blown Cajun from South La, makes an okra chicken and sausage gumbo without roux, but she also makes the traditional prairie Cajun gumbo with dark roux and no okra (or tomatoes). It’s all good to me, even many of the non-traditional variations!

By the way, the wife is an old timer[emoji44]

Where in south Louisiana is your wife from and what was her maiden name? That will tell the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

This
              Attached Files
              Last edited by sotx; 09-27-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Kery's roux

Comment

My wife's grandmother used to make an Okra "Gumbo" from her garden. We have the recipe now. Fresh tomatoes and okra, onion, garlic, seasoning. It's awesome. I wouldn't classify it as a gumbo due to lack of roux, but it's still REALLY good.

I've been making gumbo for years and make my own roux. It's labor intensive but SO worth it. I go about 30 seconds ahead of burnt....dark like coffee, then throw in the trinity to stop the flour from cooking, add stock, chicken, sausage, etc after that. Brings down the house every time.

I'm ready for the first real cold front to make the first batch for the year.

I know when it's time, because my wife walks in and goes "It's gumbo weather..."

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                    Where in south Louisiana is your wife from and what was her maiden name? That will tell the story.

She was born in Gueydan and later grew up in Crowley. She may not appreciate me putting her name out on a public forum, but its definately of French descent.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                      She was born in Gueydan and later grew up in Crowley. She may not appreciate me putting her name out on a public forum, but its definately of French descent.

That certainly lends her credit, but I have to wonder who taught her to cook “gumbo” that way. The only people I’ve known my whole life (62) who would cook it that way were people from north louisiana, west Louisiana (which we consider east Texas, and people from Texas. Hey if your family likes it, more power to y’all.

Comment

gumbo

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                        I love okra in a chicken & sausage gumbo. I don't make it that way often bc my kids don't like it so i'll usually put me some gumbo in a small pot on the side and ad some okra to it. Around Ville Platte, La the old timers didn't use roux in their gumbo. File and okra were the 2 thickening agents.
                        My grandma is from Chataignier, La near Ville Platte, and nobody I know around there puts okra in their chicken and sausage gumbo. They will put a scoop of potato salad in the bowl when they go to eating the gumbo.

Comment

I will veto the okra and tomatoes as well. I live on the border and my Dad grew up in Rayne, neither have been a part of any gumbo we cooked or eaten.

I will go out on a limb and tell you fried chicken in your gumbo is a game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                            My grandma is from Chataignier, La near Ville Platte, and nobody I know around there puts okra in their chicken and sausage gumbo. They will put a scoop of potato salad in the bowl when they go to eating the gumbo.

YES!!!

I had a college roommate that did this. I thought he was CRAZY until I tried it.

Comment

I saw Justin Wilson put tomatoes in gumbo on TV once. Anybody really gonna argue with him? You can put anything in gumbo as the headline, Squirrel, Beaver, Rattlesnake etc etc and even tomaters. I think Justin was using snapping turtle. Love me some shrimp gumbo and fried grits.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                                Well I worked in Ville Platte for almost 11 years and wen't to many camps and suppers with folks there so I can tell you some of them do put okra in it. Like I said it was some of the old folks way of doing it not necessarily the popular method today but some still do it. Yes many do put potato salad in it or on the side but thats pretty popular all over.

Also I wouldn't say tomatoes in gumbo is a north la thing. The main folks i've seen do it are from the Nola area and done by the creoles who tend to put a tomato base in most things that they cook.

Comment

Working...
                                X