No announcement yet.

Is 1.5” @ 100 accurate enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's something that people have a hard time understanding. Most people smile when sighting in their gun and they hit the bullseye. They dance a jig and call it good. You can increase your hit probability by not doing this.

Target #2 has a direct hit in the bullseye. This is an 1 1/2 group. I did four just to make it simple. The higher and lower impacts are 1 inch from the bullseye. The far left is 1 1/2 inches from the bullseye. So at the most you are 1 1/2 inches from your point of aim.

Now let go to target #1. No shot in the bullseye but no sweat. The gun is sighted in correctly. Why you ask? Because the point of aim is in the center of the group that the gun is capable of shooting. The group is 1 1/2 inches. All four shots are within 3/4 inch of your aiming point. Congratulations! You just turned your rifle that shoots 1 1/2 inch groups to one that will hit within 3/4 inch of your aiming point.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Here's something that people have a hard time understanding. Most people smile when sighting in their gun and they hit the bullseye. They dance a jig and call it good. You can increase your hit probability by not doing this.

Target #2 has a direct hit in the bullseye. This is an 1 1/2 group. I did four just to make it simple. The higher and lower impacts are 1 inch from the bullseye. The far left is 1 1/2 inches from the bullseye. So at the most you are 1 1/2 inches from your point of aim.

Now let go to target #1. No shot in the bullseye but no sweat. The gun is sighted in correctly. Why you ask? Because the point of aim is in the center of the group that the gun is capable of shooting. The group is 1 1/2 inches. All four shots are within 3/4 inch of your aiming point. Congratulations! You just turned your rifle that shoots 1 1/2 inch groups to one that will hit within 3/4 inch of your aiming point.

Great news. The next one I get that shoots that way I’ll sell it to you haha

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Great news. The next one I get that shoots that way I’ll sell it to you haha
        Long as it's cheap. I got mad hunting skills. I don't have to rely on fancy smancy equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Long as it's cheap. I got mad hunting skills. I don't have to rely on fancy smancy equipment.
          I’ve seen what you post

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
            What will you be hunting? Deer and elk or fleas and ticks? I don’t shoot a rifle much but I don’t need to put 5 shots in the same hole to kill deer and elk.
            that..was good..lol

Comment

Is 1.5” @ 100 accurate enough?

Thanks everyone for the tips - this is great

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                More cleaning last night - same results. I have been using Hoppe's powder solvent, brass brush, Hoppe's copper remover, Gun Scrubber, powder solvent again till clean, then dry patch, in that order. When I repeat the process, I get dirty patches again after running the brush. I bought and used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner yesterday - still got dirty patches after using it then running the same process before. So it appears I have a lot of layers of baked-on fouling. Any recs for new products to try?
                Use a stiff nylon brush, bronze is a copper alloy and reacts to any copper solvents.

Any pattern to your groups? Also make note on where the first shot goes from a cold barrel. This will help tell if it's a mechanical, user, or inaccurate barrel issue.

Personally, I would prefer a gun that did better than 1.5" but for large game hunting I'd take the rifle I have confidence in over a unfamiliar sub 1" gun.

Comment

Tighten your scope mounts

Comment

Wish you were closer. Be fun to try different commercial loads and make sure everything is tight...........
                    Your gun should do 3/4 inch groups.

Brush it out and try another box of ammo......

Comment

FWIW I had a Ruger that got tighter as the barrel got dirtier. Every rifle has a personality. Many people have had accuracy issues with the model in question, and it seems most experts agree that it is a poor design with the way the stock fits to the rifle. If it has sentimental value, I say get it into a good smith. If not, I say sell it.

Comment

Have you tried shooting gallon milk jugs filled with water? Find the maximum range you can 'kill' those jugs and then determine if your rifle needs work. Shoot using different rests too.

Comment

Working...
                        X