Is 1.5” @ 100 accurate enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 1.5” @ 100 accurate enough?

I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in .270 that I love and has lots of sentimental value. The best I can do with it is 1.5” 5-shot groups at 100 yards using 130gr Fusion and Core Lokt. I’ve tried premium loads and nothing works better. As far as I’m concerned that’s good enough for hunting over feeders in Texas, but I want to hunt the West going forward, and anticipate needing to get proficient to 300-400.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to do enough accurizing work to make this rifle sing? Or if I want to hunt elk and mulies in CO and NM, should I just spring for a dedicated rifle for that?

Do you have any friends/family that hand load? If so, get with them and try to work up a load that the rifle likes better.

As far as accurizing it, I have never really messed with one of those but have heard they are a pain to bed the action due to the angled screw. You can also try free floating the barrel if it is not already.

Comment

I sounds like you’ve got a good 100-200 yard gun. You’re shooting 1.5 MOA which will open your groups up to 6 inches at 400. That’s assuming no human error is introduced. I don’t think I could shoot 1.5 MOA at 400 with any rifle so to have a rifle that is already there leaves a little too much room for error for me. You may be a better shooter and 6” would be within the threshold of a medium body animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has it been cleaned? It could be copper fouling that is the problem.

Comment

I have exact same gun and caliber. It was a 2” at best gun. Had the horrific factory trigger cleaned up and that has it with most factory loads shooting 1”- 1 1/2”.
          Mine actually likes the cheap Winchester super x stuff best. It will always shoot 1” or less off bags

It will shoot minute of pig within my lethal range

Comment

I’ll let you in on a little secret. Sight the gun in where the aiming point (crosshairs) are at the center of the five shot group. Now you are hitting with .75 inch of your aiming point. Plenty good enough to take game out to 500 yards.

It wasn’t that long ago that an 1.5 inch group was perfectly acceptable. It still is. Not everybody has the skill or weapon to put all the bullets in one hole. Internet snipers excepted. Practice, practice, practice.
            Last edited by M16; 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I’ve considered using this as an excuse to get into reloading myself. Just not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze. It would be a big investment.

I run copper solvent about every 3 boxes now, but didn’t know much about that early in the rifle’s life

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                I’ll let you in on a little secret. Sight the gun in where the aiming point (crosshairs) are at the center of the five shot group. Now you are hitting with .75 inch of your aiming point. Plenty good enough to take game out to 500 yards.
                Whoa.

Comment

In all reality it’s plenty accurate for lung/heart shots. If you were taking head shots I would like a more accurate gun but most people double lung them.

Comment

Depending on your rest, 1.5" groups at 100 yards could be impressive. I would think you rifle is fine for hunting out west.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                      Depending on your rest, 1.5" groups at 100 yards could be impressive. I would think you rifle is fine for hunting out west.
                      That’s the thing - this is on a lead sled. On a bag it’s just outside 1.5”

Comment

1.5 moa at 100 yards could get better or worse at 300 and 400 yards, you just don't know till you go shoot it at those ranges. And I definitely don't recommend shooting at an animal at a distance past where you have practiced / verified where your gun shoots at that range.

Comment

Rugers M77 are hit and miss on .5 MOA accuracy. Are you capable of shooting less than 1” groups? Your rest has a lot to do with it. Long story short, a guy with a custom rifle at the range was shooting 1.5” groups off his rest...I told him try mine. He shot a 3/4” group at 200yds. There’s a lot that goes into a tiny group. Rifle, ammo, rest, shooter, skill and a little luck some times. 1.5” groups at 100yds is more than capable of vital zone hits at 300yds so yes it’s accurate enough for hunting at moderate ranges.

Comment

Did anyone mention 6.5 creedmoore

Comment

I have the ruger 270 with the boat paddle stock. I got it shooting to 5/8 inch at 100 by tightening the angle screw then backing it off a bit at a time until I hit the spot it shot best. That was with the federal fusion ammo. I saw a video on it but I can't find it now. Maybe u tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X