Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRS Retired Medical Insurance..it's changed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish politicians would be put on medical/ pension plans like the ones that are good enough for us all. Most are wealthy but it has always made me wonder why they get vested into a pension after only a few years of service, I’d say give our vets that same pension/medical package .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife is not eligible for medicare due to age.

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
        What am I missing I retired from A & M and my insurance has nothing to do with TRS
        I have blue cross through A & M and have Medicare since I am over 65
        I have 30 years of service in higher education with the state. Our insurance is with ERS not the TRS system teachers are in. Our retirement is in the TRS system though. That may be why your not affected with the changes.

Comment

For perspective if you think you are getting ripped off........ My wife and I are retired and in the individual market paying $1500.00p/m premium with $6500.00 deductible. Now doesn't that make you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
            “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan”. Said somebody I think. Only thing Obamacare gave us is increased premiums on people already with insurance

Not true!!! It also gave us less coverage for more $$$!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

but they are going to "give" them each a $5,000 raise, so see there, all is good now

Comment

The state is trying get people to stop retiring at an early age. The old rule of 80 makes it possible to retire in your mid 50’s. Now they are penalizing people who retire early by hitting them with high health care premiums and deductibles. People coming into the profession now will not have the option of retiring at the rule of 80. It used to be one of the few perks of the teaching profession. Now, not so much

Comment

That sucks. I would imagine it has more to do with health insurance overall and everyone getting screwed, not a lack of appreciation for teachers. You are right though it is the politicians who messed it all up and made it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Really unfair considering that insurance was part of the retirement she earned with years of being an educator.

Absolutely!!!! To change the rules AFTER someone retires is complete crap.

Comment

Originally posted by br549redneck View Post
                      I have 30 years of service in higher education with the state. Our insurance is with ERS not the TRS system teachers are in. Our retirement is in the TRS system though. That may be why your not affected with the changes.
                      this is correct.

This is correct. ERS is for all state employees excluding teachers. My wife is in ERS and I’m in TRS. I’m thinking about dropping mine and being added to hers. I think it Would save us money when we retire

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        That's why I carry my wife on my insurance. Teacher benefits sick. We can spend $712 billion a year on bombs and new jets we don't need but can't take care of our educators.

Gary

This is the last year my wife will be on the teacher insurance. My work tries to make the spouse coverage expensive enough you won't take it but the TRS insurance had declined to the point that mine is a much better deal. Should have made the change for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          That's why I carry my wife on my insurance. Teacher benefits sick. We can spend $712 billion a year on bombs and new jets we don't need but can't take care of our educators.

Gary
                          Same. Except I would point the finger more at the social welfare programs as the wasted spending. At least we get something out of the bombs and jets.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                            “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan”. Said somebody I think. Only thing Obamacare gave us is increased premiums on people already with insurance
                            Nice try, but this was a good ole conservative, money-saving, low taxes, Texas legislature action of 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Nice try, but this was a good ole conservative, money-saving, low taxes, Texas legislature action of 2017.
                              because of the environment that obamacare created in the insurance world.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                                The state is trying get people to stop retiring at an early age. The old rule of 80 makes it possible to retire in your mid 50’s. Now they are penalizing people who retire early by hitting them with high health care premiums and deductibles. People coming into the profession now will not have the option of retiring at the rule of 80. It used to be one of the few perks of the teaching profession. Now, not so much
                                Will you please post your source for this information so that I can pass it along to some teachers that I know? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X