No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to go the longer route and sand in a couple days after the epoxy cures then lay glass. I could have done it all in one step but then I would have more faring to do afterwards.

Comment

Coming along nicely sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
        Coming along nicely sir.

Thank you so very much my friend!

Well, I thought I would spend the morning removing blush from the epoxy and prep the hull for glass. Mother Nature blew another cold front in late last night/early this morning and the epoxy is not fully cured. Fortunately I am not in a rush but I was looking forward to getting some work done today. More than likely I will wait until Friday and check her again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
          I ran out of fumed silica to make thickened epoxy so unfortunately work has stopped for the day. More will arrive tomorrow but in the meantime I mocked up the trim tabs just because.

How do those tabs work for when you go in reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
            How do those tabs work for when you go in reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They stay where they are so yes, you do have some dig in when backing off the trailer. I don’t haul butt in reverse so it’s never been an issue.

Comment

I use the Smart Tabs and really like them. I bought the flip up brackets for when I'm drifting really shallow. They don't affect you much backing up, but l don't back up very far.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                , but l don't back up very far.
                No one does, boats are meant to go forward

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                  No one does, boats are meant to go forward

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Heck my boat won’t hardly back up at all

Comment

The epoxy is all cured so I started sanding. If all goes well I will have her in glass by the weekend

Comment

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to work on the boat at all this past weekend. Too many other projects going. We will resume work on the boat after spring break.

Michael

Comment

Alright, Spring Break is over and we returned home to the chaotic mess at the grocery stores and society. This morning we worked in the garden and this afternoon I got back on Project Skipjack!

First I wrapped up sanding then started laying out fiberglass. This build and one more will make two boats I’ve built so to say I was a little apprehensive about the glass work would be an understatement. It was a little stressful because I could feel the resin starting to flash just before I wrapped up with the sides but I was able to get it knocked out...both sides are now in glass!!! Tomorrow I will glass the bottom of the hull before going back to work.

Comment

Wow! Just seeing this thread. Awesome build!

Comment

Sides look great!

Comment

Well, Spring Break is over and it is sadly time to return to the chaotic reality of society today. With the CDC recommending people to remain isolated if possible, I escaped to the shop and got back on Project Skipjack.

Glassing solo I had to get a little creative so I had to work the bow section first then slowly worked my way back. After lunch I will install the strip down the center then jump on the spray rails.

Comment

Looking awesome, loving this build.

Comment

Working...
                                X