X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can keep bees and get you exemption

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
      Go wildlife exemption. Easy. No cows, sheep, or whatever to mess with you when sitting on stand. Also super cheap to keep up with each year. Same tax break as Ag.
      yes, much easier to deal with.

Comment

Why not just ask the neighbor who had the land in AG exemption
        Seems he would know

Comment

Every county is different on Ag Exemption. The best advice I can give you is to call the Tax Appraisal office and ask them these questions. They will tell you exactly what you need to do. There is no minimum in my county and for 10 acres I just needed to put 2 cows on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
            Go wildlife exemption. Easy. No cows, sheep, or whatever to mess with you when sitting on stand. Also super cheap to keep up with each year. Same tax break as Ag.
            Wildlife exemption is not easier. It requires a ton more paperwork every year and there are improvements that have to be made. I have done both and that small of a property you probably won't qualify for a wildlife exemption anyways. Cows are easier keepers if you keep them fed and watered.

Comment

I am gonna look into the wildlife option. May or may not be feasible. wife is not keen on bees...but it is an option also.

Originally posted by texasrazor View Post
              David give me call after you talk to county, if you decide to graze to keep ag. My neighbor
              Can probably put calves on before going to market. He lives between you and me.
              And he will feed if you've got water.
              Larry
              That sounds pretty good. I will talk to county next week.

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              Why not just ask the neighbor who had the land in AG exemption
              Seems he would know
              the guy I bought it from leased the grazing rights to our neighbor to get the ag exemption. As the new owner I have to apply for ag exempt and the neighbor don't need the extra grazing land.

Originally posted by Rawbits View Post
              PM sent.

good info

thanx,

Comment

I have 11 ac in Lampasas county. I am on year 4 of 5 I need to get the exemption. Was also told 7 goats would work.

Comment

I am in Fayette county. The tax appraiser sets the requirements for ag exemptions. Give them a call. DON’T let it lapse. It takes five years to get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    Wildlife exemption is not easier. It requires a ton more paperwork every year and there are improvements that have to be made. I have done both and that small of a property you probably won't qualify for a wildlife exemption anyways. Cows are easier keepers if you keep them fed and watered.
                    Glad we both have our opinions. I've done both as well. I prefer wildlife. So do the dozen or other folks I've helped switch over to wildlife from Ag. To each his own.

Comment

I don’t think Burnet will let you wildlife 10. Most of these counties in the area are pushing for 20 plus.

Comment

I think the comptroller has the state rules an exemptions, will look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          I don’t think Burnet will let you wildlife 10. Most of these counties in the area are pushing for 20 plus.
                          If any county is telling you that your currently Ag exempt property is too small for a wildlife exemption you need to call plateau wildlife management. State law says as long as it has been in ag and not reduced in size the previous year then it is eligible for wildlife. Plateau helped me with this in Burleson county and I was very happy with them.

Comment

Instead of leasing the land to the neighbor offer it to him for free . Tell him you would like him to graze it during the summer. This way you keep the land in ag and he has a bit more grass for his cows.. with that small of a place he probably can't justify paying for grazing rights.. you would be surprised how fast a place will grow up if you pull the cows off of it..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              Instead of leasing the land to the neighbor offer it to him for free . Tell him you would like him to graze it during the summer. This way you keep the land in ag and he has a bit more grass for his cows.. with that small of a place he probably can't justify paying for grazing rights.. you would be surprised how fast a place will grow up if you pull the cows off of it..
                              The previous owner had in the lease agreement 10.00 fee. I doubt it was paid, but probably had to be there for the county. I wouldn't charge the neighbor. He is hesitant... mainly, cause he does not know me. We'll see what happens.

Comment

I know you. Tell him to call me, I'll fill him in.

Comment

Working...
                                X