Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting bow for 9 year old (hogs/squirrels)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting bow for 9 year old (hogs/squirrels)

Hi all, since I have some places nearby that are archery only I'd like to get my boy a bow capable of taking squirrels/hogs. He is 10 years old and decent with recurve but that is only 20lbs.

Any recommendations for a CHEAP compound please? He has a decent .22LR and optic so he doesn't need spoiled anymore than he already is lol.

Diamond edge is what I got my daughter. Very adjustible. If he can handle a 20lb recurve i bet he can shoot 30 with a compound. You can probably find a used one.

Comment

@jnd thanks I'll have a look about for that model. I use recurves myself so I am clueless with the compound world

Comment

One of the best things is getting kids hunting. So please don’t take this wrong.

He is going to be shooting low draw weight. And at 10 years old, prolly not very long in draw.

Make sure you use a good cut on contact head. Like the stingers.

For hogs you need to limit his distance. 20 yards is pushing it. I would also limit size of hogs. Stay under 80lbs. You might try and see just don’t expect to recover the hog.

Also remember. When kids hunt, if they loose to many animals they might start not to like hunting anymore.

As far as bows. Diamond makes a good youth bow, so does mission.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          One of the best things is getting kids hunting. So please don’t take this wrong.

He is going to be shooting low draw weight. And at 10 years old, prolly not very long in draw.

Make sure you use a good cut on contact head. Like the stingers.

For hogs you need to limit his distance. 20 yards is pushing it. I would also limit size of hogs. Stay under 80lbs. You might try and see just don’t expect to recover the hog.

Also remember. When kids hunt, if they loose to many animals they might start not to like hunting anymore.

As far as bows. Diamond makes a good youth bow, so does mission.
          no worries and thanks for the tips! I'm getting him a bow but it doesn't mean he will be shooting it at an animal anytime soon. My thought was get him the new bow then spend the next 6 months training on it. 80% of hunting is fieldcraft

Comment

my daughter used the pse stinger x for 2 years was a great bow and was very adjustable. and price did not break the bank

Comment

Bought a Mission Riot for my 10 year old daughter (5' tall) and the weight of the bow was too much. I'd go with the Diamond Infinite Edge if I had it to do over. I ended up buying her a crossbow instead.

Comment

I picked up a bear cruzer lite package at academy in this big sale. I paid $125. It's 5-45# draw.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                  I picked up a bear cruzer lite package at academy in this big sale. I paid $125. It's 5-45# draw.
                  **** that was a good deal

Comment

with todays bows Please don't assume you have to shoot a youth bow. My daughter Is 11 and has never owned a youth bow. The pse stinger x was a great bow and highly adjustable. that is the bow she started with she is now 11 and got her first deer with her bow this year

Comment

Originally posted by lk05077 View Post
                      with todays bows Please don't assume you have to shoot a youth bow. My daughter Is 11 and has never owned a youth bow. The pse stinger x was a great bow and highly adjustable. that is the bow she started with she is now 11 and got her first deer with her bow this year
                      good plan but cant afford that much for a bow for him now. i stopped working as a security contractor (hostile environment) to be home and attend college full-time. im keeping my eye out for a good 2nd hand compound that he can grow with though for 100-200

edit: i looked at the draw length for pse stinger and it says 25-30...isnt that much too long for your daughter... or is she very tall?
                      Last edited by billythefish; 03-06-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

There is a mission in the classified. I definitely would get a bow that will grow with him . My daughter has the mission craze I got her for Christmas two years ago she is 13 now and I have already changed the draw length for her twice in those two years and probably will have to change it again pretty soon .

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          There is a mission in the classified. I definitely would get a bow that will grow with him . My daughter has the mission craze I got her for Christmas two years ago she is 13 now and I have already changed the draw length for her twice in those two years and probably will have to change it again pretty soon .

i found a guy selling one for 125 but he has a pending sale...im 2nd in line though, fingers crossed lol

Comment

This one was a mission riot I believe he wanted 200 but is located in Tyler. You might look it up if you happen to be any where near Tyler!!

Comment

The stinger has a grow with u setting that goes down if I am not mistaken to an 21 draw on the new ones the older once I think went lower. There is also the diamon infinit edge bows that are very adjustable

Comment

Working...
                              X