Incredibly frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredibly frustrated

I know, I know... that's why it's called "hunting, not killing." My boy, 10, and I have hunted together several times. He wants nothing more than to have just an opportunity at shooting.. we are on our 3rd sit at a buddies house this weekend and here we are, again, about to have to leave and I'm having to talk to him about how we cant predict movement, weather, etc.. it's the same story, over and over and over and over..

Hell, just yesterday he said "maybe I'm just bad luck." Do you have any idea how ****ing heartbreaking that is to hear?

I understand he needs to be taught patience and understanding, but dang.. hes been patient enough.

Sorry for the rant.. I just had to get that out..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is frustrating when you're trying to put a kid on an animal and it's just not happening. Persistence pays off and his reward will be that much sweeter when it didn't come easy.

Comment

Incredibly frustrated

Stay at it..... The most uneventful hunt in the world can turn into the hunt of a lifetime, in mere seconds. Best of luck to you both.

Comment

Sounds like you are hunting an area where there are some but not a lot of deer. I did that growing up and realized it takes time in the blind and you are not going to see anything most of the time. Hang in there and it will happen, a corn feeder would probably help.

Comment

No I get it. Did the same thing with mine. 3 yrs in the making and he finally got a deer (5pt).

He’ll get one and it will mean that much more to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He will be fine. I grew up in east Texas do I need to say more. Go shoot a squirrel get that monkey off his back

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Its tough for sure. Hang in there

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

It took me 5 years of hunting before I shot my first deer after so many sits. We all should share our longest dry spells on here and have your boy read through it.

Happens to the best of us.

Comment

That’s a tough one. I think all you can do is keep his spirits up, let him know that’s hunting!

Comment

Well tell him we are not seeing anything over here either

Comment

I am a Huntmaster with Texas Youth Hunting Program and we are always looking for kids that want to hunt but don't have the needed place or experience to. Go to TYHP.org and call the office they can tell you about the program and get you signed up. The web site is under going a redo and can be confusing.Pm me if you would like and we can talk.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's comments.. I think it helps me more than him.. lol..
                        Originally posted by engnman View Post
                        I am a Huntmaster with Texas Youth Hunting Program and we are always looking for kids that want to hunt but don't have the needed place or experience to. Go to TYHP.org and call the office they can tell you about the program and get you signed up. The web site is under going a redo and can be confusing.Pm me if you would like and we can talk.
                        I've applied for one on the link from the facebook page.. cooper, I think.. but didnt hear anything back.. thought it was a draw thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Patience is easy to say, yet so hard to teach. Sounds like he is learning. It will make you both appreciate it more when it happens. It's hard to comprehend that as a child and even a parent at times.
                          My daughter is close to 30 years old and struggling with not killing an animal for several years.

Comment

Take him on a doe hunt over Christmas break? I was in same situation with my nephew. He finally saw deer and took his first doe. This was 6 years ago and the fire is still going. Shoot me a pm and I can give you info on a reasonable doe hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              Stay at it..... The most uneventful hunt in the world can turn into the hunt of a lifetime, in mere seconds. Best of luck to you both.
                              This^^^^^......For perspective....My son began sitting with me in ground blinds nine days before his 3rd Birthday. He has Bow hunted with me ever since. He is now 24 and is a successful Archer in his own right. In those last 21 years we have been on Archery only leases and still are to this day. He has shot a handful of animals with a rifle at a buddies place in Junction over the years. At heart he is a Bow Hunter. We have seen our share of challenges and frustrations. You and your son will have frustrations down the road as well. You are right....it is hunting. If this was easy (Bow Hunting or Hunting of any sort ) everyone would do it. They need to understand this at an early age there will always be a challenge to what we do. The less the challenge it is, the less fun it becomes. Keep him motivated through shooting a bow, target practice, etc. Heck, a large acorn crop like last year can crush even an adults spirit. Keep at it with him!!

Comment

Working...
                              X