Personal Distress Beacon - Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Distress Beacon - Recommendations

My dad is in his 70’s and still likes to go hunt out in the National Forest by himself. We use climbing stands in several places that have little to no cellular service. There are also some places we can go that emergency responders will NOT find unless one of us show them the way.

I have thought about a personal distress beacon that he can take with him in his hunting pack. That way, if he gets lost, hurt, etc., he can activate it and get help ASAP.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any brands? I’m thinking ease of use, reliability, and cost effectiveness. I’d like to find one that would connect to a satellite and not have to use cellular services.

I’m open to the pros and cons of anything you got. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Gbird View Post
    My dad is in his 70’s and still likes to go hunt out in the National Forest by himself. We use climbing stands in several places that have little to no cellular service. There are also some places we can go that emergency responders will NOT find unless one of us show them the way.

I have thought about a personal distress beacon that he can take with him in his hunting pack. That way, if he gets lost, hurt, etc., he can activate it and get help ASAP.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any brands? I’m thinking ease of use, reliability, and cost effectiveness. I’d like to find one that would connect to a satellite and not have to use cellular services.

I’m open to the pros and cons of anything you got. Thanks in advance.

The company I used to work for used the SPOT for lone workers out in West Texas. It seemed pretty good to me. We never had any issues. There maybe some better ones out there.

SPOT products include two-way satellite messaging with SPOT X, GPS and one-way messenging with SPOT Gen3 and asset tracking and theft detection with SPOT Trace, so you can stay connected when in or out of cellular coverage.

Comment

Check out the Flex plan. Could just use it during deer season.

Comment

I use a Garmin InReach, might be more than what you’re looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
          The company I used to work for used the SPOT for lone workers out in West Texas. It seemed pretty good to me. We never had any issues. There maybe some better ones out there.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services
          I had seen a few people on my Appalachian Trail and John Muir Trail hikes with SPOT. Seems like that is the “name brand” go to.

Comment

Had to do a double take. Thought the title said personal distress bacon

Comment

Thanks for the information, gents. I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Ya know, the autocorrect on my phone did try to make it say bacon more than once.

I wonder if there could be a market for that? [emoji848]

Comment

Thanks for the information, gents. I appreciate it!

No sweat.... also, your old man kinda sounds like THE MAN to be honest.

Comment

Inreach has a feature that once turned on will send a location ping every ten minutes creating a "bread-crumb" type trail. The trial is viewable on their mapping app by people having permission. This would be a neat and useful feature in addition to the satellite texting along with the emergency beacon feature on the device.

Your dad is living the life I hope to live if & when I get to that age.

Comment

Ya know, the autocorrect on my phone did try to make it say bacon more than once.

I wonder if there could be a market for that? [emoji848]

Sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Isn’t that jerky?

Comment

Spot is easy to use.

Comment

Great idea! He needs to keep it in his pocket in case he falls out of the tree with his pack still in the tree. I think about that with my cell phone. It will do no good still up in the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                              No sweat.... also, your old man kinda sounds like THE MAN to be honest.

He is a Vietnam Navy Vet... He was in his welding rig when he was hit by a train back in the 80’s. It broke his neck at his 5-6 vertebrae. His X-ray looks like bailing wire around his neck. He will work any of us into the ground. I tease him and say he only has about 3 or 4 of his 9 lives remaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X