QUESTION Ruger American compact 243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUESTION Ruger American compact 243

I bought my son a Ruger American compact 243. It has an 18" barrel. Anyone else have this gun or recommend a good factory round or place to start for handloads? He's a small framed 50lb kid so I don't want a hot load. Thanks in advance.

Could/would you add weight to stock? My brother added some type of compound to the forend and butt of the plastic stock. Added weight and made it more solid.

I still ended up going with a Boyd’s stock and that helped as well. Very little kick.

The 95gr fusions worked “most-best” for me.

Comment

Honestly depends what and how far you’re shooting. I have a couple youth 243’s that love 65gr Winchester ballistic silver tips.(I believe that’s what the weight is) killed more deer than I could count with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reduced recoil rounds, add weight to stock, if its threaded add a can or brake..

I've seen some folks snag a Caldwell field pod and duct tape bags of sand to the frame, just under the gun, to make it a semi portable lead sled..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

H or IMR 4895( one of the better powders for reduced loads ) and bullet in 80g +-

Comment

Plugs and Muffs. With the short barrel the sound will get him more than the kick.

Comment

No bench shooting. If he needs just shooting practice go with a scoped 22 rimfire on even a pellet gun.

Comment

If you decide to handload...Nosler has free load data at their web site with published velocities for bullets ranging from 50 to 95 grains. With the shorter barrel you won't see the same speeds but I'm sure you can find something that will work like you want. The Hornady "American Whitetail" is a decent choice for factory ammo.

Comment

Another vote for the ballistic silver tips. Shoot them in the same rifle and it does great.

Comment

Thanks men. I picked it up last Friday and got it cleaned and shot in with some 100gr factory. Shoots about 1.5" group now and still needs a little barrel break-in

Comment

75gr vmax with varget works great for my wife(different rifle)

Comment

Working...
                      X