No announcement yet.

Proof Research Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that shoot the Proofs can you give us an idea on how much your barrel itself weighs? I'm putting together a build sheet and have no idea how much a 26" .30 caliber barrel would weigh.
    Last edited by canny; 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Downside is they do NOT like a suppressor hanging off the end. Changes POI a lot.
      I'm running a Thunderbeast Suppressor on a 6.5 CM Proof Research barrel I used in an AR10 build. I have had no issues with POI shift. I have not shot it both suppressed and unsuppressed out past 100 though. I can't imagine the 2.2 oz weight difference in our suppressors would make that much difference. Maybe I just got lucky.

Maybe it is the difference in barrel lengths. I'm only running on 22" barrel on a gas gun, and I imagine everyone is running a 26" barrel on a bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
        I'm running a Thunderbeast Suppressor on a 6.5 CM Proof Research barrel I used in an AR10 build. I have had no issues with POI shift. I have not shot it both suppressed and unsuppressed out past 100 though. I can't imagine the 2.2 oz weight difference in our suppressors would make that much difference. Maybe I just got lucky.

Maybe it is the difference in barrel lengths. I'm only running on 22" barrel on a gas gun, and I imagine everyone is running a 26" barrel on a bolt gun.
        Yours is likely a heavier barrel too. I’m running a 26” sendero lite. I didn’t build it to shoot suppresses. I have no doubt their heavier barrels wouldn’t be affected by it as much.

Comment

That makes perfect sense. I’m happy with mine. Shoots great and makes a longer barrel AR10 weigh so much less than the JP barrel that I used on a different build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            For those that shoot the Proofs can you give us an idea on how much your barrel itself weighs? I'm putting together a build sheet and have no idea how much a 26" .30 caliber barrel would weigh.
            They offer 3 different contours. They have the weights listed on each at each length they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
              That makes perfect sense. I’m happy with mine. Shoots great and makes a longer barrel AR10 weigh so much less than the JP barrel that I used on a different build.

Yeah I would like one on my AR10 build. I just need the barrel and gas assembly and bcg to finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                They offer 3 different contours. They have the weights listed on each at each length they offer.
                I figured they listed weights. I cant access the site due to firewall where I work so I just thought I would ask.

Comment

I figured they listed weights. I cant access the site due to firewall where I work so I just thought I would ask.
                  308 26 9 2.5 1.20 Sendero 3lbs-3oz 107959 $830
                  308 26 9.4 2.5 1.20 Sendero 3lbs-3oz 107935 $830
                  308 26 10 2.5 1.20 Sendero Light 2lbs-15oz 101032 $830
                  308 26 10 2.5 1.20 Sendero 3lbs-3oz 101018 $830

Comment

PROOF Sendero contour will weigh 3 lbs. 5 ozs. ; priced around $750

a S.S. Sendero barrel will weigh 4 lbs. 12 ozs. ; priced around $350

roughly 1.5 lbs. difference in weight

most Sendero type rifles weigh 9.5 lbs , bare rifle

figure same build with a PROOF will be 8 lbs.

Comment

These are lined up in order. Just couldn’t get it to fit in one shot. Only big changes will be your muzzle threads and tenon length. Some guys leave a long tenon to have plenty of room to set the barrel back.

My rifle is as follows

Defiance deviant hunter action (integral 20moa rail and recoil lug)
                      26” proof sendero lite 1:8 with wto brake
                      7mm rem mag
                      McMillan HTG
                      Seekins SRS rail for atlas bipod. Rear sling stud
                      Jewel HVR
                      PTG oberndorf bottom metal
                      Hawkins precision rings with built in level
                      Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 M5C2 turrets

That package complete is 8.10 lbs.

I changed the bottom metal out to a detachable mag HS precision set up. I have not checked the weight since doing that. It’s plenty light for a true long range hunting rig. And it hammers. In the right hands it’ll put 5 shots in the .1-.15” range consistently. 180 grain Berger hunting VLDs at 3075 FPS with a stout charge of retumbo in Norma brass. It has a bore rider throat. That helped with velocity too. I won’t post the powder charge it’s way over max. Sadly I don’t shoot enough anymore to make that type of group every time. I’d recommend another proof in a heartbeat. I can’t say they shoot better than lilja, Bartlien or krieger. But they don’t shoot worse either. They are double the price. You’ll save a bit on ceracoat.

Comment

Originally posted by JRG_80 View Post
                        I built one in a 300wm. Is it cool-Yes. Is it a shooter-Yes. Does it out shoot my other customs-No. Will I build another using a Proof.....probably not, I’ll save money on the barrel and spend it on upgrades.

jrg
                        Any pics and details? That’s what I’m looking to build

Comment

I have 2 and 1 of them with factory ammo easily shoots 1/2 moa, the other literally shot a 0.046" group the other day and is the most accurate gun I own.

The accuracy potential of these barrels will not hold you back from a steel barrel IMO

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
                            Any pics and details? That’s what I’m looking to build

Specs:
                            Proof Sendero Lite 26” w/Snowy Mtn Rifles Brake
                            Remington 700 action
                            Jewell trigger
                            B&C factory stock off Rem Long Range...Sendero Lite contour fit in it perfectly w/o any alterations
                            Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 scope w/Talley rings
                            8.5lbs as it sits

jrg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just finished this one and got the barrel broken in. Shooting Federal Premium Sierra Match Kings BTHP 168gr. That's a 5 shot group at 100yds not supressed. Bottom two were the last two I fired in the 5 shot group, I think I was a little excited at that point.

20" Proof Research Sendero

Stiller Predator Action

Grayboe Ridgeback Stock

Timney Calvin Elite Trigger

Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

28 Nosler
                                Tikka Action
                                Proof Light Sendero at 26
                                MCM Stock
                                Zeiss V6 Scope Iota Rings