My SECOND 160...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SECOND 160...

Well after going 6 years in Old Mexico and not killing a trophy 2009 came along and I was able to kill my biggest deer at the time.
    We were on year 2 of our feeding program and were pouring the feed to them as much as possible ( Mexico protein feeding back then was very hit and miss, sometimes the feed stores didn't have protein). We had just started using cameras but I personally had never gotten a picture of this deer.
    Early January the season before my then girlfriend at the time and I happened to be sitting on a 3 way in my truck when a very run down mature deer walked out with some does to eat corn. Now I had been hunting this 3 way very hard looking for a different buck and this was the first time to ever see this deer. He was a typical 10 with several kickers putting him in the mid 50s, and mature on top of that.
    I decided then to let him roll hoping he could survive the post rut and hopefully gain a few inches also.
    As the next year approached my focus was on this deer I named "stickers". As you can guess I checked my cameras that year vigorously, and to my disappointment never got one picture of stickers.
    Opening weekend in Mexico that year was the Friday after Thanksgiving, so that Thursday I ate a quick feast with my family and pointed the truck south. On top of that i was riding a very strong cold front for that time of year. I was excited to say the least even though I had no proof of life for over 10 months.
    Open morning dawned clear and cold with tons of activity on the 3 way. But no stickers, lots of young bucks and does. That afternoon was basically the same results with pretty much the same cast of characters.
    It was very early in the year and way before rut was even thought about yet, so as I went to bed that night I figured I'd either have to wait for rut to see this deer or even worse, there was a very good possibility he was dead.
    The next morning I went through the same motions, and by sunrise had plenty of action. If I remember correctly I probably had over 40 deer out. Always entertaining!
    Around 9:30 most of the deer had cleared out because obviously they had eaten most of the corn. I decided then I was a bit thirsty and seeing how i was sitting in my truck happened to have a cooler full of liquid beverages.
    I hoped out, grabbed a bud light and settled back in my seat. As I was getting situated again I noticed a large body deer in my center sendero looking at me. Immediately grabbed my binoculars came up and there stood stickers at around 200 yards...
    I threw my .300 Ruger No 1 out the window and found center body mass front shoulder and let her eat...
    I could tell it was a solid hit and by the time he left the sendero he was in a world of hurt.
    I waited a solid ... oh ... 5 minutes before easing down the sendero and finding him piled up about 20 yards into the brush. What an unbelievable surreal moment that was to grab those horns and admire what God had given me the opportunity to harvest. He ended up scoring 165 and some change.... thank you for reading along... pics to follow..
    Last edited by Mexico; 10-10-2018, 11:39 AM.

Congrats Shane.. Waiting on pics..

Comment

A few pics

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

What an awesome write up! Great buck. Gotta love Old Mexico.

Comment

Nice buck, great story.

Comment

Comment

Nice buck! Long tines on that dude

Comment

Pic of my '08 F250 in '09 with 100 bags of LnE on the back. We feed em hard

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

nice congrats

Comment

Congratulations on a great buck!

Comment

What an outstanding deer. Congratulations

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats

Comment

What a boss. Nice!

Comment