Owed money question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    I haven't had any reason to be concerned with fraudulent transfers since i was a banker, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't come into play here. It generally deals with insider transfers and other issues that apparently are not involved here, but we don't know for sure because we don't have all the facts.
    I’m not sure who it is matters, but it’s a work over rig company. Don’t know if I want to say who it is yet. Money problems? I’m not sure. They got bought out so maybe. Downhole tool that I rebuild. What others questions

Comment

You can't expect to ask an attorney (as several have suggested) for advice without providing her with details. Attorney fees would probably exceed the amount of the claim.

Details do matter. If the company that owes you the money is bankrupt, then you should file a claim with the bankruptcy court. Without a name, how does one determine if they are in bankruptcy? Is it a corporation? LLC? Sole Proprietor? Partnership? If a general partnership, you may be able to file a claim against the general partners individually. How does one find out who they are? By the name of the debtor.

As I said earlier, I would file a claim in JP Court (small claims court). You most likely will get a judgment. Then I would attach the debtors bank account. Of course I would need to know where that is. I would know that by the previous checks that they paid me with. Also, I would file a Writ of Attachment in the county deed records if they own real estate. If they do, I would eventually get paid with interest

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
      I have a customer that I do side work for, and they recently got bought out. I talked to new company and they said they are only buying equipment not debt. No one is responding to me at original company. It’s right at 1500$ Anyone have any clue what to do?
      You asked if we have a clue. I do, but not without more information. Good luck on collecting your debt.

Incidentally, I am not an attorney, nor am I offering legal advice.

Edit: I added some more info above regarding filing a lien in the county.
      Last edited by Burnadell; 05-12-2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Your correct never had intention contacting a lawyer not really worth it. I guess my main question was I didn’t know you could purchase a company and not take on the debt. No they are not bankrupt. Yes they are a corporation.

Comment

You can't expect to ask an attorney (as several have suggested) for advice without providing her with details. Attorney fees would probably exceed the amount of the claim.

Details do matter. If the company that owes you the money is bankrupt, then you should file a claim with the bankruptcy court. Without a name, how does one determine if they are in bankruptcy? Is it a corporation? LLC? Sole Proprietor? Partnership? If a general partnership, you may be able to file a claim against the general partners individually. How does one find out who they are? By the name of the debtor.

As I said earlier, I would file a claim in JP Court (small claims court). You most likely will get a judgment. Then I would attach the debtors bank account. Of course I would need to know where that is. I would know that by the previous checks that they paid me with. Also, I would file a Writ of Attachment in the county deed records if they own real estate. If they do, I would eventually get paid with interest

You asked if we have a clue. I do, but not without more information. Good luck on collecting your debt.

Incidentally, I am not an attorney, nor am I offering legal advice.

Edit: I added some more info above regarding filing a lien in the county.
          Thank you and everyone else for all the information. Not trying to be difficult just never been in this boat before. They were communicating with me and now nothing. Trying to answer the best I can

Comment

Thank you and everyone else for all the information. Not trying to be difficult just never been in this boat before. They were communicating with me and now nothing. Trying to answer the best I can

Was trying to help you get out of that boat and help you collect your money.....as you asked.

Forget it.

Good luck.

Comment

Unless it’s 10k or more it’s useless to get a lawyer. They take half and usually settle for less so you get nothing. If it was a LLC your out of luck getting it from the old owners if they won’t pay voluntarily. Also if the new company is setup under a different tax ID they don’t have to pay a cent of the old debt as they are not associated with the old company. If it’s past 90days you can’t file a lien even if they are. Small claims court is probably your best option if there’s even a company of person to file on.

I worked for a company one time that went under and just closed the doors and walked off which is different then bankrupt and to this day old vendors call me wanting to know when I’m going to make payment snd that was 5 years ago. For whatever reason they don’t understand I only worked there and had nothing to do with the financials. It’s amazing what people that have been in business for years don’t know.
              Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-12-2021, 11:17 PM.

Comment

My last job in the oilfield proved to me that you cant get people to pay for ****.. My dads company has had close to 300k in invoices not paid over the years.. That worked when things were busy.. Not so much when they arent..

Comment

Your correct never had intention contacting a lawyer not really worth it. I guess my main question was I didn’t know you could purchase a company and not take on the debt. No they are not bankrupt. Yes they are a corporation.
                  Did they buy the name of the company? It's legal to sell equipment, customers, buildings etc..without selling the company (name, llc, corp etc)

Comment

Sounds a lot like CC Forbes to me.

Comment

Was trying to help you get out of that boat and help you collect your money.....as you asked.

Forget it.

Good luck.
                      I know your trying to help that’s why I was thanking you. Confused why your saying forget it?? I was just saying I’ve never been owed money this way and trying to answer your question best I can. Again thank you

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        Did they buy the name of the company? It's legal to sell equipment, customers, buildings etc..without selling the company (name, llc, corp etc)
                        Just the company

Comment

Owed money question

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Go sit in their main office and just don't leave until you talk to someone who can/will help.

I think you’d get tased pretty quickly, Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                            File a lien, if you can. No other info....
                            This is what I was thinking, but don't have a clue how to do it. At the very least they have to clear the liens before the purchase?...
                            Last edited by JonBoy; 05-13-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I know your trying to help that’s why I was thanking you. Confused why your saying forget it?? I was just saying I’ve never been owed money this way and trying to answer your question best I can. Again thank you
                              I didn't mean for you to forget trying to collect your money. I meant forget me trying to help you because I got tired of asking for pertinent information and not getting an informative response. Somebody owes you $1500, and you sought advice. I tried offering advice, yet could not draw it out of you that's why I said to forget it. I don't understand the secrecy when they owe you money!

I was a banker for 24 years. I know how to collect money. I guarantee if they owed me $1500, I could collect it.

Comment

Huntinhard, sounds like a PM to Burnadell is the way to go. Maybe you feel more comfortable sharing info if not public? Sounds like he may be your guy.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X