Stay Busy Build— SOPMOD Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay Busy Build— SOPMOD Clone

Gotta find something to do between deer and Turkey season!!! Scored an older Rock River LAR-15 and I’ve decided to do a clone build on the cheap. Parts are ‘close enough’ without shelling out the ridiculous prices for surplus or new MIL manufacture.

I had no idea the clone market for military weapons was as big (or price inflated) as it is. Items that we used to grab out of a box in the arms room (like KAC rail covers) go for crazy prices especially if they were actual issued items!

Anyways- it’s been fun to try and source some less expensive parts that will function well and look close to the real deal somewhere between a SOPMOD Block 1 and a MK18

My start point—
    Attached Files

SOPMOD and MK18(ish) ideas
    Attached Files

Comment

Block 1’s are cool, I’ve got a CQBR Block 2 I built a few years ago. I’d still like the Knights NT4 and a PEQ at some point. It’s a complete surplus upper with a cage code of 75, and I recently picked up a black surplus B5 SOPMOD Gen 1 also cage code marked 75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that is awesome!!! Great rig-- my work gun was almost exactly like that-

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
        Block 1’s are cool, I’ve got a CQBR Block 2 I built a few years ago. I’d still like the Knights NT4 and a PEQ at some point. It’s a complete surplus upper with a cage code of 75, and I recently picked up a black surplus B5 SOPMOD Gen 1 also cage code marked 75

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
          Man that is awesome!!! Great rig-- my work gun was almost exactly like that-

They’re arguably one of the easiest clones to do. Parts are readily available. Same with the block 1, if and when I do another clone I want to do a Mk12 mod 0 or mod 1

Comment

Here’s some more motivation for you

Comment

I like it!!!

Comment

Getting started
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice rigs guys. AR's are really like Lego for men

Comment

I didn’t try to keep it clone perfect, I just liked the general look of the MK18 mod 0.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome looking rifle!!! I think they are really sharp looking! What upper did you use?? I'm probably going to have Morgan cut mine down and open up the gas port.

And in other news I'm working on getting this CIV buffer tube off.... I think RRA used a gallon of loctite on this thing!! It isn't staked and I cranking on it... might be time for the heat gun!

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                        Awesome looking rifle!!! I think they are really sharp looking! What upper did you use?? I'm probably going to have Morgan cut mine down and open up the gas port.

And in other news I'm working on getting this CIV buffer tube off.... I think RRA used a gallon of loctite on this thing!! It isn't staked and I cranking on it... might be time for the heat gun!
                        Thanks! I used a cheapo Palmetto State classic upper and switched out the handguard for a Midwest Industries 2-Piece quadrail. Daniel Defense fixed rear sight. I have some legit KA railcovers that are all beat up from use, but they were kind of loose and made the upper bulky looking. The issued Aimpoint I got for $100 back in the day because it's beat to death (still works though).

Comment

Found a pic with the KAC rail cover on.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Legos indeed!!! Finally got the dang CIV buffer replaced with an Aero Milspec!! Added a mag well, CMC 2.5# curved trigger, slightly bigger bolt catch and the extended latch on the charging handle.

Added a base of OD and brown before I started tinkering. Some has rubbed off which is fine Bc that’s the look I’m going for anyways. Will finish with tan over a mesh net.
                            Attached Files

Comment

love a good AR

Comment

Working...
                              X