Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying warm in the treestand on a budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late season archery and coyotes in Minnesota and the Dakotas will push you to the limit of what cold you can handle. That said, you guys have a special cold combined with the humidity that cuts to the bone! I’ll take zero degrees and dry over that clammy stuff.
    I like running tights and tight fleece running pants from REI. Same for up top. A running shirt, non cotton t shirt, light fleece long sleeve.
    Silver thread socks with 50% or higher merino blends. Boots are on a Peet boot dryer when not on my feet. Socks and boots don’t go on my feet until I’m walking to the stand. Often I’ll wear a heavy pair of lacrosse rubber boots a size big.
    I don’t own any fancy outerwear, often I’ll just wear a heavy carhart sweatshirt and another heavier fleece jacket.
    A fleece Balaclava is essential as it covers my neck snugly and my head. A coyote fur hat for the coldest days, otherwise a Good multi layer fleece cap. As for gloves, oversize leather choppers with fox river wool liners. My hand is inside with the release. I even have a left glove I cut open the palm and sewed Velcro and put on the bow. The gloves are big so i can move inside of them and pull out of them with little movement. There’s also room for hand warmers.
    Hydration cannot be understated. I usually take a break from alcohol and salty food during cold hunts.
    A lot of guys use army surplus bunny boots or the big boot covers along with Insulated body bags. I’ve brought wool Amy surplus blankets along to sit on and wrap up my legs. Hot cocoa or coffee with a cup holder helps.
    The guys I know that do all day sits in places like Saskatchewan often layer up and wear Ice armor suits made for ice fishing with a White flour sack Over the top to deaden the nylon sounds.
    Box blinds and buddy heaters work wonders too. ��

I have screwed plywood “blinders” on the sides of hang on stands to cut the wind in certain locations where it doesn’t block shooting lanes.

Last edited by Txtourist; 08-05-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I have had friends use this brand in Michigan winter and really praised it. I was looking into their lighter gear around our property.

Camo patterns that will work regardless of the season or the terrain. Welcome to ASAT Camo for all products showing off our camouflage. Shop our selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        Cabelas Wooltimate or Berber is the best bang for the buck in regards to warmth. A little bulky for archery IMO.

Would help to know what kind of “budget“ you are on.
        I second this, wind will not blow through this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Look for surplus military Polartec ECWS bibs on eBay...very affordable, easy to layer on/off, very quiet and very warm

Comment

If it's that cold, bring a sleeping bag up there with you, and stand-up in it, then sit down. Pull it up as high as possible so you can still run your safety line etc and be able to shoot.

I used to stand in a sleeping bag and call fire missions in cold weather staying warm, eating snacks during training.

A sleeping bag will keep you much warmer than insulated pants and jacket. you do not need to walk while in a stand.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              As others have said, my hands n feet are the most vulnerable to me. I pack good gloves and a pair of artic shields for my feet. The article shields are bulky but weigh nothing so I just clip them to the outside of my pack. I also roll up my bibs/coat and strap them to my pack. No matter how cold it is I walk/hike to my stand wearing only my base layers and pants/shirt. Sometimes ill just wear the base layer shirt and pack the outer shirt. I dont want to sweat at all getting there. Once you're wet you've lost the battle. I dont use very expensive clothing. I have some cabelas base layers that I bought on clearance and same for my bibs/jacket. The bibs and coat are really warm once I'm in my stand as long as I don't sweat and soak my under clothing before I get there. For my feet I usually wear noninsulated boots so my feet don't sweat and then put the artic shield on in the stand too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
              Arctic shields are awesome they are always in my pac .
              if it’s really cold you can put hand warmers in them.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                If it's that cold, bring a sleeping bag up there with you, and stand-up in it, then sit down. Pull it up as high as possible so you can still run your safety line etc and be able to shoot.

I used to stand in a sleeping bag and call fire missions in cold weather staying warm, eating snacks during training.

A sleeping bag will keep you much warmer than insulated pants and jacket. you do not need to walk while in a stand.
                /\/\

Comment

I have a set of Cabela's Wooltimate that I have owned for a lot of years. It is probably the warmest gear I have but it is bulky. I normally revert to it during the hard winter months up here when I am out calling coyotes.
                  I would suggest looking into it.

Comment

I hunt the same areas early December and this is what I now wear:

BCG base layers (from academy )
                    Scent blocker mid season ( on sale now 40% off)
                    Under armor storm 1 hoodie (wear on boat and 4 wheeler ride, carry when walking)

Good socks and muck wetlands 1/2 size big. My feet have always been my weak link and at 40 I finally figured what worked for me

I stay warm all day and not bulky. As well as athletic enough to climb and hike and quiet

If low 20’s or more than 10 mph wind I may pack in cabelas fleece pants and over sized jacket and put on at stand

Comment

light weight wicking base layer
                      expedition weight fleece
                      cabelas wooltimate windproof fleece jacket and pants
                      fleece windproof baclava and toboggan
                      wicking base layer socks
                      merino wool socks
                      pac boots

also used a body suit similar to the heater body suit last year --worked great

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        Cabelas Wooltimate or Berber is the best bang for the buck in regards to warmth. A little bulky for archery IMO.

Would help to know what kind of “budget“ you are on.
                        I use the polar grade base layer and the Berber fleece, both from Cabelas and have to be e careful about not overheating walking to stand.
                        The wind shear versions of the Berber fleece are noisy for archery, I’d stay away from that.
                        I also use those fleece tubes for my hands, they are great.
                        Hope this helps.

Comment

I layer -
                          short sleeve t-shirt
                          long sleeve t-shirt
                          long sleeve flannel
                          pullover or zip up fleece
                          jacket if needed

long johns
                          blue jeans/camo pants
                          bib overalls

wicking heavy socks
                          insulated boots

Nothing fancy, just what I have.

The heated packs are a nice extra.

Comment

Layer up. Carry sleeping bag and use for legs and feet. Works for me.

Comment

As you can see, layering is the thing. I mostly hunt SETx these days so mid 30s is about as cold as it gets with a few days 32 or below. I use thin Merino wool on the coldest days. I rarely wear a jacket. Neck gaiters, wool beanies or sock caps are the key to staying warm, keep that noogin' warm and you should be good. Boot? I haven't worn rubber boots in over 20 years. They are your enemy when hunting unless you have to go through high water. Rubber boots are a stinky, sweat bucket that poofs a pile of scent on the ground with every step you take. I use a lightweight hiking boot, far less scent problems.

The key? Lightweight layers, unless it is brutal, then its lightweight with heavy over the top.

Comment

Layers man!! They don’t have to be expensive to be warm!

Comment

Working...
                                X