Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying warm in the treestand on a budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
    I found some merino wool socks by a company called meriwool. That with some insulated neoprene boots keeps my feet pretty warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think part of my problem is sweating. Getting to the stand my feet get to hot. I like to wear rubber boots to keep the scent down.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
      My feet are my problem as well. What socks do you use?
      Unless it’s extreme cold, my uninsulated boots work best. My feet don’t sweat and they have room to breath. Makes a world of difference over insulated boots that have your feet sweating before even making it to the stand

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        Unless it’s extreme cold, my uninsulated boots work best. My feet don’t sweat and they have room to breath. Makes a world of difference over insulated boots that have your feet sweating before even making it to the stand
        This may be my problem. I know my socks are soaking wet when I get back to the barn. LOL...Yea I sweat a little.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          This may be my problem. I know my socks are soaking wet when I get back to the barn. LOL...Yea I sweat a little.

Yes sir! I wear a pair of good thick wool socks and my Irish Setter rubber boots. I can roll like that down into the low 30’s. Once it gets much past below freezing, I have to up my game a bit.

Comment

In

Comment

I have had success layering up with Merino Wool base layers. Not cheap, but will save you $ in the long run as you don't need to spend $300+ each for a jacket and pants. I use the merino wool layers, and have the Magellan Soft Shell set from Academy. I have hunting in freezing temps in Oklahoma with that set up and have been beyond warm. Actually had to unzip the vents in the armpits of the jacket to keep from sweating.

Comment

Whatever you decide on make sure you practice with it. After all these years in treestands from Montana, Colorado, Wisconsin, Kansas, Minnesota and elsewhere I still sometimes forget to check my equipment in my rush to get out. Missed Mr. Bigstuff last year at 7 yds in the rain because I got caught on my jacket with my longbow string. Stuck in the ground under his belly and he just stood there looking around.

Comment

Heater body suit and therm pad

Comment

As others have said, my hands n feet are the most vulnerable to me. I pack good gloves and a pair of artic shields for my feet. The article shields are bulky but weigh nothing so I just clip them to the outside of my pack. I also roll up my bibs/coat and strap them to my pack. No matter how cold it is I walk/hike to my stand wearing only my base layers and pants/shirt. Sometimes ill just wear the base layer shirt and pack the outer shirt. I dont want to sweat at all getting there. Once you're wet you've lost the battle. I dont use very expensive clothing. I have some cabelas base layers that I bought on clearance and same for my bibs/jacket. The bibs and coat are really warm once I'm in my stand as long as I don't sweat and soak my under clothing before I get there. For my feet I usually wear noninsulated boots so my feet don't sweat and then put the artic shield on in the stand too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy second hand on Archery Talk. Always some good deals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the other thing you need.

One of my brothers started this company because of noisy tree stands, it's called a Hush Cover, they really make your stand quiet but they keep your feet warm too. I have one of the first ones and it's hard to go into my stand without it.

Comment

Following

Comment

I saw a write up about using M65 insulated layer, military "puffy" type stuff

Might be worth looking into

Comment

I use disposable handwarmers in my coveralls pockets. If it's really cold I put toe warmers in my rubber boots. They work well to take the edge off the chill.

Comment

I get cold easy and no amount or any certain type of clothing keeps me warm.

Make you a heated seat... warms your entire body from the core . I did a diy thread on one. It’s seriously the best piece of hunting gear I’ve owned.

Comment

Working...
                                X