Musing during the return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musing during the return

I stopped bowhunting probably around 2006 or 7. Not really sure. So, I quit shooting my bow.
    A couple of years ago, I purchased a compound, a Mission Riot with the intention of returning to bowhunting. I didn't catch the fire so I didn't shoot it much
    Late last year I was getting the itch to just shoot. I finally, in early March, ordered a inexpensive target bow setup. 23" ilf riser with short 28# limbs. a 66" bow. I only have approximately 26" draw length(DL).
    I got it to start all over. About 20 minutes in I discovered that my memory was still there....all bad.
    I still had my remnants of target panic, freezing or what ever that stupid aflliction is and a semi sloppy release. Despite those maladies, I killed 3 of the 4 whitetails I shot at. I know that's low numbers, but I started Bowhunting in the late sixties, before climbing tree stands, before compounds, before a whole bunch of advantageous apparati. I got the light weight bow just to work on form. It's a good thing.

Been shooting it about a month and ordered a F161/261. Someone on here said they had one by the origianal designer, mine is a Chinese clone. Didn't know an American designed and built it. With the 17" riser it makes a 58" and since it gains 8#'s for shorter riser and I lose close to 6#'s for short draw I shoot 30#'s with the 60" setup. Have some 44# limbs on order.

Today, I got to playing with my finger pressure with the tab just to see what things would do. I always used more index finger pressure and the "below" fingers didn't apply much pressure at all. I started putting more pressure with the middle finger. Well, that really played havoc with my arrow flight. They' d come out tail high and adjust the nocking point didn't really do a whole lot of correction, at least consistently. So, I unstrung and increase my tiller by and 1/8" up to 5/16" approaching 3/8". Surprisingly that straightened things up pretty good, but the bow became more noisy. Checked the brace height(BH) and it was kinda low at 7 3/4". Twisted her up some to 8". Quietened down pretty good.

Further pondering brought a thought to my head....there's a interactive relationship between nocking point, brace height, finger pressure, center shot not to mention the release and the arrow spine/head weight and I like traditional archery because it's so simple.

Lol. I am not an accomplished traditional archer at all, but I can tell you that the finer points of all that arrow flight stuff is beyond me for sure. However, I would still say I like trad for the simplicity... inside of 15 yds or so. Love to casually shoot the recurve from time to time, and with a month or so of practice I would have no problem shooting at an animal with it... again limiting it to 10 yds or so, maybe 15.

Interesting thought though, and certainly there are those who appreciate trad for the alchemy more than the simplicity I would say.

Comment

Haha! There's some high level magic required to make arrows consistently fly straight out of a "simple" stick and string.

Comment

Your last sentence is perfect. One reason we are first drawn to trad is because it seems more so “simple” - only to find out there are many more variables in the equation than we realized.

Comment

I like when the elite trad guys talk about "not having all that equipment that can fail" with a compound. In thirty plus years I didn't have a one.
          Now though I'm the piece of equipment that tends to fail. Failed form, failed release etc. Too often I'm afraid. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Try shooting three under a couple of shots and see how much that changes arrow flight.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              I like when the elite trad guys talk about "not having all that equipment that can fail" with a compound. In thirty plus years I didn't have a one.
              Now though I'm the piece of equipment that tends to fail. Failed form, failed release etc. Too often I'm afraid. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Have you happened to see that Chinese girl that shoots Olympics?

Man, when she releases, I don't think one thing moves but the arrow/string. Can't even see her fingers move.

Comment

Working...
              X