Electra, Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electra, Tx

Anyone familiar with the deer population/ density in or around Electra just out side of Wichita Falls? Thinking about buying this property below and wanted to see if anyone on the green screen had any first hand experience with hunting this area and typical buck size. I assume the deer would be a lot bigger than hill country deer but might not be as plentiful. Any info is much appreciated.

I had a lease on this ranch for 10 years, not the exact property you're looking at. The deer population was moderate and we killed some nice bucks, 140ish was our biggest. I wish we still had the lease and I've considered buying in the area, but I'm about a year away from being ready.

Comment

$1,175 an acre seems like a really good deal on something that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
        Anyone familiar with the deer population/ density in or around Electra just out side of Wichita Falls? Thinking about buying this property below and wanted to see if anyone on the green screen had any first hand experience with hunting this area and typical buck size. I assume the deer would be a lot bigger than hill country deer but might not be as plentiful. Any info is much appreciated.

https://www.landwatch.com/wichita-co.../pid/334037411
        Looks like a great property and price looks solid. i don't know anything about deer in that area. but i often see sellers post trail pics in their listing for places like this. Seems odd that they would post the feeders and blinds but no trail cam pics. i understand not wanting to post P&Y type deer even if you had pics but at least some wildlife. Just an observation, not a conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
          $1,175 an acre seems like a really good deal on something that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          That’s what I’m thinking also. Place doesn’t look super thick cover though but in a few places.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
            I had a lease on this ranch for 10 years, not the exact property you're looking at. The deer population was moderate and we killed some nice bucks, 140ish was our biggest. I wish we still had the lease and I've considered buying in the area, but I'm about a year away from being ready.
            Are the deer pretty big bodied? I shot a buck up at my buddy’s place near graham and those deer are a lot bigger body wise then the deer I kill at my place in the hill country.

Also, how big is the ranch? I assume they are breaking it up into smaller tracts

Comment

Are the deer pretty big bodied? I shot a buck up at my buddy’s place near graham and those deer are a lot bigger body wise then the deer I kill at my place in the hill country.

Also, how big is the ranch? I assume they are breaking it up into smaller tracts
              I don’t know how big it was total but that property has been for sale for a bit. There were another 2-3 pieces of it that sold already. I’ve been looking at it for a while but a couple years away from being ready

Comment

I grew up in and work in Wichita Falls the deer density will not be anywhere near the hill country, the deer will be bigger bodied and there is definitely the possibility of getting a good one.

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

Yes, bigger bodies than Hill Country. We had 2,000 acres, not sure how big the ranch was, I think he had about 25,000 acres. The rancher was dead when we got our lease, but the land was part of a lawsuit about his will and the attorney leased some of it out. My lease was right at Burnett Ranch Road on the south side of 287.

Comment

Deer are not going to be real plentiful on that property, most are going to be transient. Too close to town and not enough cover to hold deer. Property at one time had lots of oil wells on it and some still remain. To the west is Waggoner ranch which is now selling hunts but as far as I know not in that particular area. Lot of road hunters in that area to help keep your deer herd in check if you aren't around. Largest buck I have seen immediately west of this place might have hit 135 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidro View Post
                        Deer are not going to be real plentiful on that property, most are going to be transient. Too close to town and not enough cover to hold deer. Property at one time had lots of oil wells on it and some still remain. To the west is Waggoner ranch which is now selling hunts but as far as I know not in that particular area. Lot of road hunters in that area to help keep your deer herd in check if you aren't around. Largest buck I have seen immediately west of this place might have hit 135 or so.
                        Kind of what I was afraid of since the price seems pretty cheap. You are right from everything I’ve seen the place does not look very thick in a bulk of the property but does in some smaller sections.

Comment

I worked in that area until retirement and know that property very well. Lots of traffic in the past on that property and probably still is. Lots of dope and theft around that area, you don't leave anything on your property you are attached to. Just my opinion but was by there nearly every day for 40 years till retirement 2 1/2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidro View Post
                            I worked in that area until retirement and know that property very well. Lots of traffic in the past on that property and probably still is. Lots of dope and theft around that area, you don't leave anything on your property you are attached to. Just my opinion but was by there nearly every day for 40 years till retirement 2 1/2 years ago.
                            Good to know. Defiantly don’t think I would have found this out from the listing agent

Comment

We hunted 3 or 4 miles south of there 12-ish years ago and had plenty of deer. Biggest taken was 153", but we saw bigger a few times. Had a fair amount of quail and turkey as well. A friend of mine leased a place somewhere very close to the one you're asking about a few years ago and bailed after the second season due to not seeing hardly any deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X