Generator Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
    Do you have an idea of how much propane your 3000 burns per hour or standard run time?

I have a 500 gal propane tank, and that conversion might be a good idea for me.

From what i am reading, the big Generac's would burn through my propane tank fairly quickly.
    Haven't hooked it up....but my whole house 22kw will run 4 days at full cap....from a 250 gallon tank. Propane is cleaner...and won't go bad....you can still run gas

Comment

Return the Honda. Start fresh if you can. I feel HD sells lesser quality built brand names. Get the new one if they are offering.
      Propane gens are the way to go. Much less to have to deal with.
      Take a look at this one. Duel fuel. A tad over a grand delivering 12,500watts and a 50a receptacle.

Comment

Propane is probably the least efficient way to go, but convienent.

You might wanna run calculations on how much propane you will use vs. cost of propane.

Especially the larger whole house, it is cheaper to stay at a Holiday Inn than run the gen set.

Comment

Get on line and find an authorized Honda Power Equipment dealer and take it there. I have the EU6500is (the carb version of that one) and that 7000 is one of THE best, most dependable gen sets on the planet. Honda does not make "lesser quality" inverter sets depending on where they're sold. The more you mess around with it, the more likely you will do something to it that will "void" the warranty. Let Honda fix it.
          That Honda will be running LONG after any Generac gen set has seen it's last day, and that inverter power is the cleanest power you can generate at home. That small engine repair guy is an idiot!
          In your later description of the issue where you said it runs "fine" for a while then starts to run rough, may indicate some of the electronics are messed up... might not be fuel-related. Those injected engines are almost bullet proof... If you want to run Propane, you can get a kit for that 7000 off Amazon. That will make it actually dual fuel so you can still run gasoline too.

Comment

Here you go... IF the generator is in Midland (Your TBH location), there's no less than 7 authorized service centers...

Comment

Propane kit...
              Honda EU7000iS Fuel Injected Generator Upgrade System. The EU7000iS is rated at 5500 running watts and that is what the on-board computer will keep it governed. Very simple installation and can instantly swap from gasoline to propane or natural gas with the flip of the toggle switch.

Comment

I have one just like that and there is no better generator made.
                It's fuel injected so kick all the advice about gunked carb etc. to the curb.
                99% chance your problem is caused by the modifications done to the fuel system- more than likely it is sucking air. Try raising the aux tank above the generator and see if that helps.
                No luck there try putting it back to stock and watch it purr like a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                  I have one just like that and there is no better generator made.
                  It's fuel injected so kick all the advice about gunked carb etc. to the curb.
                  99% chance your problem is caused by the modifications done to the fuel system- more than likely it is sucking air. Try raising the aux tank above the generator and see if that helps.
                  No luck there try putting it back to stock and watch it purr like a kitten.
                  Thanks,
                  The only modification currently on the generator is the exhaust hose extender. I put that on after it started running rough to try and vent the exhaust out the door...

(my plan was to cut a hole in the side of my well house and vent the exhaust hose directly outside)

I agree that it could be an airflow issue.

I am going to try and place the generator completely outside and see if maybe running the generator outside in completely open air will make a difference. If that fixes it, then I have some modifications to do to my well house like maybe installing a fan in the wall to blow fresh air into the intake.

If it still sounds rough after my next test, I will take it to one of the shops in town, or San Angelo.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will update when I head out there next.

Comment

Here is my cabin and well house. I laid an auto start line and power in conduit from the cabin to the well house.
                    I was running the generator in that well house with the door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do not run it close to your house. 10 to 15 ft mi. due to exhaust. Is the fule shut off valve open all the way? Just a thought.

Comment

I would not run the generator in the well house. It needs to be outside. It will get too hot and burn up some of the components. This happened to a friend of mine. There need lots to be alot of air circulation.

Comment

Sounds like an easy fix

Comment

WOW, that's a nice cabin!! Great looking set up! I think you will find that genny will purr like a kitten out in the open... You can still put it in the well house if you ventilate it properly... maybe leave the bottom 1 foot to 18" open all the way around... put hardware cloth on it to prevent animals from entering, but still allowing free air flow... a small exhaust fan near the top will remove a lot of heat. Remember, that Honda is pretty much enclosed already so putting it inside an enclosure will only add to the heat... might try removing some of the panels off the genny if running it in the open works if you want to put it back in the pump house. I like your concept!

Comment

Working...
                            X