Generator Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Repair

I need the greenscreen advice on this one.

I bought a new - Honda EU7000is generator to power my new off grid cabin project. I bought about 2 months ago @ Home Depot. The generator was over $5000 after tax and shipping charges.

I set the thing up, (probably weighs 250lbs) and changed the oil as recommended for the break in period. After only 50 hours the thing started running very rough. Almost like it is starved for gas (almost dying, then over revving, then almost dying). Put under any load the problem worsens. It has even died a few times. It currently has 150 hours.

I have not tried to troubleshoot any of the issues, as its still under the warranty and return period for Home Depot.

I called Home Depot and they are willing to pick it up from me at their cost, and give me a full refund.

Normally I would just accept that I got a lemon, take my refund, and go buy a new one of the same model. (We've already laid an auto-start line in conduit, and purchased expensive accessories for this model like an external gas tank & exhaust lines).

BUT - after the crazy ice storm - there are no big Honda inverter generators available in the USA. Home Depot no loner carries the unit - and the other outlets like Granger, are telling me 2022 before they an get one.

I don't want to let this unit go, and be SOL on getting a new one.

Should I take a refund form Home Depot, or try and find someone to work on the thing?

If I take a refund, I'd probably have to snag on on Ebay - and the current mark-up on these is crazy. I haven't even seen a new one available in the week I've been looking.

Thanks for reading - just looking for how you would handle.

If it's running at all there can't be much wrong with it. I'd keep it and trouble shoot it. Fuel, air or spark. One is messing up. My guess is fuel.

Comment

Sounds like a carb rebuild and new gas - change filter and plugs. I would order a rebuild kit and try to get it running....

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        Sounds like a carb rebuild and new gas - change filter and plugs. I would order a rebuild kit and try to get it running....
        This........... it's a fuel problem.........

Comment

Ditto sounds like bad fuel or gummed up carb. Did it sit with fuel in it between uses? At our fish camp I always turn the fuel off and let it run itself out then turn all the switches off (ours cost 10% of yours though so fwiw). But, if it's under warranty I'd think calling Honda might get them to dispatch a tech and handle it for you?

Comment

Run some Seafoam through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fuel or lack there of. I would pull fuel lines and check for something restricting flow. Since it is that new, and unless you put old fuel in it to start I don't think it would be fuel quality issue....unless rain/water got in the fuel...

Make sure if it has an inline filter it isn't clogged or installed the WRONG direction

Also make sure the fuel lines a tight and not allowing air in the line somewhere...
              Last edited by BrianL; 03-26-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

take it to the local Honda dealer and get it fixed under warranty

Comment

there is a valve on the bottom of the carb. turn gas off from tank and open valve on bottom of carb to drain out fuel in carb. get all fuel out of tank and replace with new. We have an older 6500 at our lease and this happens to us from time to time.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
                    I am going to try and change the fuel filter.

I emailed Honda as well, but they keep directing me back to Home Depot. I did ask them if they could provide an authorized service dealer. I think they should have to pay the cost of the repairs...

Being that its run poorly for over 100 hours, I don't think it is a fuel quality issue (possibly something like dirt or gunk got into the fuel tank when it was being refilled, but have burned through a lot of gas in 100 hours, and its all been fresh gas).

It has never sat more than a week between being run.

Frustrating thing is that my cheap Harbor Freight Predator 3500 has run for probably 600 hours and never missed a beat. I will tie that thing into my Cabin as a back-up...

Comment

While not ideal I would trouble shoot it myself. Change filter, clean jets in carb ect. With the predicament of none available and it powering an off grid cabin doing some small easy things yourself will probably save you a bigger headache.

Comment

Couple more..

Remove fuel cap while running to make sure cap is venting and not creating a vacuum.

I bet it is something in tank clogged at fuel spout/drain, something stuck in a fuel line, filter, loose fuel hose fitting, or fuel line got a hole rubbed in it somewhere.

And change the spark plug

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Remove fuel cap while running to make sure cap is venting and not creating a vacuum.
                          Good point, especially because he mentioned plumbing an external fuel tank for extended running so it may be having issues pulling from that tank as well.

Comment

Again - good advice above. I will make a list to troubleshoot.

I just got off the phone w/ a small engine mechanic - the guy I talked to was convinced that

A) I made a terrible choice going w/ an inverter for my primary power source

and

B)we likely have already overworked the generator by using power tools etc. - and it's basically worn out (like it could already be broken beyond repair)

He was not a fan of the inverters.

I did a bunch of research before buying the Honda, and now am kind of back to square one.

My cabin is 900 SF, usually draws between 1000W and about 4000watts of power when everything is turned on (3 mini split AC's, water pump, lights, etc.)

Should I have gone w/ a Propane Generator from the get-go? This would be my opportunity to take my $5200 and go get something else. I do have a 500 gallon propane tank for all my other appliances, but need to make a decision on which way to go...

If you went w/ propane, what would you buy?, and what is the ballpark cost?

What say you!?

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                              Again - good advice above. I will make a list to troubleshoot.

I just got off the phone w/ a small engine mechanic - the guy I talked to was convinced that

A) I made a terrible choice going w/ an inverter for my primary power source

and

B)we likely have already overworked the generator by using power tools etc. - and it's basically worn out (like it could already be broken beyond repair)

He was not a fan of the inverters.

I did a bunch of research before buying the Honda, and now am kind of back to square one.

My cabin is 900 SF, usually draws between 1000W and about 4000watts of power when everything is turned on (3 mini split AC's, water pump, lights, etc.)

Should I have gone w/ a Propane Generator from the get-go? This would be my opportunity to take my $5200 and go get something else. I do have a 500 gallon propane tank for all my other appliances, but need to make a decision on which way to go...

If you went w/ propane, what would you buy?, and what is the ballpark cost?

What say you!?
                              At that price point if you are DIY’ing the install, you aren’t far from the cost of a small propane-powered standby generator. Might be a better route to take for the way you are using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X