Wrong Wind From A Sealed Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macoop View Post
    I built a blind that I thought was airtight. Had 4 does come downwind and bust me every sit. Bought an ozonics and used it. Same 4 does came downwind on the fence line stuck their noses in the air and walked right past the blind to the feeder. Shot the doe at 13 yards. Use the wind or get an ozonics. I don’t think there is such a thing as an airtight blind.
    Echo this, but I would slightly change it to say use the wind AND get an ozonics.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      You have no idea how many times you’ve been busted because of it.
      I am sure, but have killed plenty of mature bucks and does hunting this way. No set up is ever perfect but this has worked the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
        I am sure, but have killed plenty of mature bucks and does hunting this way. No set up is ever perfect but this has worked the best for me.

It’s worked well enough for me too. I hunt from Krivoman and Maverick blinds. No blind is scent proof and wind direction can change.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
          You may get lucky if they come in down wind, but the odds are against you. 100+ yds away in an elevated gun stand.....open the windows and enjoy the scenery.
          I used to refuse to believe I was being smelled 100 yards away elevated. Then I started only hunting good winds for those stands and my deer #s per hunt went way up.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            You have no idea how many times you’ve been busted because of it.

Limited choices with limited stand placement it is what it is and personally I wouldn’t worry about it. If I had a large property with blinds set up for every wind direction then I would certainly hunt the wind Or maybe not .

I’ve been in brushed in ground blinds with nothing but brush , hard wind at my back towards the feeder and had mature bucks walk within 3 yds of me headed towards the feeder and didn’t get busted. If it’s your day to kill then it’s your day

Comment

No such thing as a sealed blind they can’t smell you in….ALWAYS hunt the wind

Comment

I do it all the time too. Gonna do it this weekend lol wind at my back blowing towards feeder AND the direction the deer come from and have never been busted. Vent closed, all windows closed. Mature east texas bucks and does at 15 yrds. Only open the window literally seconds before I shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  I used to refuse to believe I was being smelled 100 yards away elevated. Then I started only hunting good winds for those stands and my deer #s per hunt went way up.
                  15 feet up in the box blind with the window closed on the side the wind is blowing from keeps me in good shape. Deer come in from every direction so there is no "good wind" for this stand. Not saying a deer hasnt ever hung up off in the woods somewhere but I have never had one blow at me or even get nervous with this set up.

Comment

Never seen a sealed blind. Is it wasp proof?

Comment

You will never Get rid of your human odor totally no matter what you do and I’m talking sprays scent covers ozonics or whatever. you’ll never totally get rid of it hunt the wind is all I can say in my opinion.

Comment

I've purposely human odor-bombed bow blind setups with used clothing. This is on deer that are fed with hand-thrown corn daily. It's worked more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Quick easy default answer is no.... I'd find some way to seal that shooting hole up though either way.

My answer is it depends. Where we hunt out west with deer come from all directions. First question?.....What is the right wind? From your blind to your feeder? Just making sure your wind is right from your feeder to your blind is not enough. That little 20 yard blind to feeder "safe zone" is a small portion of your worries. You need to know what your specific deer do. Our mature deer can and will circle pens before they enter. We also have multiple deer come from multiple directions with a high deer density and they also leave in different directions. So while you are concentrating on your target buck trying to get a shot in our little safe buffer zone, hoping he takes a few more steps in our window, Billy Ray young feeder buck and his girlfriend Blower are leaving to go get water angled behind you at a trough 700 yards away ....and could destroy your morning. Its just not as easy as saying hunt the right wind. Another thing....some of us hunt 5 hours from where we live. Skipping 3 hunts out of 4 because the wind was not right at any of your blinds or changed from the forecast wastes a lot of money real quick. You hunt while you are there... or you don't hunt. If I hunted in my backyard I could be a little more particular....and hit the default answer above.

We hunt airtight blinds with the windows closed if temps allow because of this. We do like the wind in our face or cross winds and not in an area that swirls like a hole off a ridge or hill. That's ideal but not always available. And when I say air tight, we make the effort that they are just that with silicone and weatherstripping....we don't get busted counting on the manufacturer or builder to make it air tight. We take showers each hunt and trying to come in as scent free as humanly possible. I'll wait for the right moment and open a shooting window when the deer is in where I want him or her. Its a gamble every time you open that window though. It can be in your face and blind and your wind swirls right into them. You do whatever you can to be successful. Multiple blinds for multiple wind directions help as well but if they circle the pen, its all the same location and wind direction in the grand scheme of things there. Just a few things to think about.
                          Dang how y’all kill any deer then ! I know those deer well in christoval hunted it for 5 seasons! The big boys were definitely hard to get on unless you had a hot doe come in you definitely had to have a couple different blinds at each spot !

Comment

It would be nice if you could back every blind up against a deep creek or a cliff where deer have no way to circle your set up but that is rare. When people say “hunt the wind” they usually mean don’t hunt a spot if the wind is blowing directly from behind the blind to the feeder. It ain’tthat simple.

Comment

Secondary question. Should you break wind in a sealed blind?

Discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                                Dang how y’all kill any deer then ! I know those deer well in christoval hunted it for 5 seasons! The big boys were definitely hard to get on unless you had a hot doe come in you definitely had to have a couple different blinds at each spot !

On year 15 here.....and yes you are correct.. Work quick, know your wind, don't stink like a dead fish, and hope like hell you don't get busted when the window comes open.

Wind was southwest here. Left side of pen was North. Had he been on the left side of the feeder 10-15 yards or so to the left of it, he would have been down wind of the blind. Luckily he jumped in on the correct side for me that day. I got the window open when he turned his blind eye to me and arrow in him before he made it over there.. There is no footage before the shot because I had to get the window open and get the camera rolling and shoot quick. Luckily the young deer in the pen went to water because initially he was downwind of me on the left side when I had the window still closed. I had to work quick when they both got on the correct side.. It all fell into place.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ihoHsDAmBs"]Deadeye....2021 bow season - Christoval, Texas - YouTube[/ame]
                                Last edited by Smart; 09-28-2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X