Queen Isabella Causeway collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
    Is this from when the tug brown water hit the bridge ?
    Yes sir that's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
      This year will be the 20 year anniversary of the Queen Isabella causeway collapse that happened in South Padre Island, Texas. It was in my first year of college, and the attack on 9/11 had just happened a few days before.

So a quick back story about the incident that I got from a news article:

Early on the morning of September 15, 2001, a barge hit the Queen Isabella Causeway causing a 160-foot section of the only bridge connecting South Padre Island to the mainland to collapse. Several cars went over the missing section, and plunged into the Laguna Madre. Eight people died...

I recently came across this podcast about a group of fisherman on a boat that witnessed the collapse, and rescued three people that drove into the water after the bridge fell. It's a really interesting side of the story that we never heard about. I thought I'd share this piece of history from the Rio Grande Valley.

Just a heads up it's lengthy, but well worth the listen. The podcast also has follow ups with individual interviews with the fisherman, and other witnesses.

https://youtu.be/fSxRvV8uqvA
      I saw that youtube video a while back. That is a fascinating side to this tragic story. I remember first hearing about the collapse and wondering why terrorists would target our quiet little RGV area. Then when news reports started coming out I realized the truth. It was a sad day indeed.

Comment

Just listened. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

We had just returned from SPI the before it happened. Crazy

Comment

Everyone interested really needs to listen to the podcast when time permits...I always wondered why it took 20 years to come out. Check out the comments.

The fisherman being interviewed has the story telling abilities that rival farmdog...

Comment

I have it started

Comment

5 guys in a 17’ ski boat, how the heck did they have room to save anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  Everyone interested really needs to listen to the podcast when time permits...I always wondered why it took 20 years to come out. Check out the comments.

The fisherman being interviewed has the story telling abilities that rival farmdog...
                  I agree, he tells the story very well.

Comment

That is one powerful story!

Comment

Wow that dude could tell a heck of a story and the audio was good. I had never heard of this honestly.

Comment

YT has quite a few memorial videos posted as well if anyone is interested to see them.

Comment

Just came over the bridge on to the island today.

Comment

One of the other people on the boat is in this one filling in pieces missed from the first podcast

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ii7cEZBrA"]Roland Moya, the other Fisherman on the Boat, joins us. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I will have to listen to this on my drive home.

Comment

Dang I’ve never heard of this crazy for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X