No announcement yet.

Torn bicep tendon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m scheduled for surgery to repair mine on Monday. Mine is torn 3/4 of the way. I opted for the surgery, dr. Says it won’t heal itself. Feels like a knot in my bicep and painful to use. Hopefully I’ll be up and at em in about 12 weeks.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Yut-0l2oU"]Distal Biceps Repair Animation - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the surgery I had

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Yea if it is in its normal place you very well may be able to lay up and the body heal itself and reattach. When it’s sitting on the elbow not much choice
        The PO has to have surgery to reattach it. I tore mine off the elbow ten years ago and several surgeons told me it will not reattach, so I got it done

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          Thanks y’all. I’ll inform of what the doc says. I’m hoping for no surgery. Leaving for an elk hunt in 7 weeks. Not a bow hunt luckily.
          So.... mine is a little different than a tear but I had mine cut (completely detached) during surgery and reattached. I was cleared to start shooting my bow at 8 weeks but it was uncomfortable so I worked my way back up to it with my son's bow (lower DW) and was fully shooting (54lb) at 10 weeks. So i would think that even if you did have to have surgery and had it done quickly, you would PROBABLY be okay for a NON-BOW hunt in 7 weeks...

Comment

Just had mine reattached on March 31st. My tendon was hanging on by a thread according to the doc. Had the keyhole drilled, tendon moved and tied into a knot. My doc said that he has never in 20 plus years had to redo a knot, but he has replaced multiple screws. Stick to the rehab schedule and you will be fine. I was able to pull back 60lbs August 1st. I messed around for over a year with physical therapy and cortisone shots. You won't regret getting it fixed.

Comment

Man! Hope its not too serious, too close to huntin season to be getting hurt brotha!

Comment

I had a distal bicep tendon tear on 7/11, ironically moving a gun safe into the back of a TBH's truck after I sold it on here. I wont name names but they were not lifting as much as I thought they were. I immediately knew it was torn, heard the tear then put my other hand on my bicep and could feel that it had moved up to my shoulder. And the throbbing.

I was somewhat surprised that I could still use the arm in a limited sense, but there was no way I could do to the gym. I had surgery 10 days afterwards and from what I understand getting surgery done soon is important as the tendon is not getting blood flow and is slowing dying. It is not going to reattached on its own. Surgery wasnt that bad, was in a cast for a week afterwards then a brace to limit range of motion. Doing PT now and can do 2lbs curls and increase weight 5lbs every 2 weeks. I tried to fish this last weekend and had trouble keeping my arm bent just to reel (no weight).

Comment

My doctor said I need to go to the orthopedic ASAP. And of course he’s out of town on vacation. But I think they’re trying to get me in for early next week.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                    My doctor said I need to go to the orthopedic ASAP. And of course he’s out of town on vacation. But I think they’re trying to get me in for early next week.

You have a small window in getting a smooth repair.
                    If you need to find another ortho, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      Was loading feed out of trailer and I tore my tendon off the bone in my forearm, my bicep went up on the edge of my shoulder. Drove myself to the hospital with my arm on top of my head, that was only way it did not hurt. Old sawbones had to get a long pair of needle nose pliers and pull the bicep back down and reattached the tendon to a drywall screw he drove in my forearm bone. (Floresville hospital has a Mccoys lumber yard across from them for emergency supplies)He had to make a big cut to get them pliers up in there. I was gimped up for a while. I dont recommend getting worked on in Floresville, I knowed of a man that went in there for a nut cutting and come out missing his appendix. they is a animal doctor up in the holler a ways that does more better work.

[ATTACH]1103236[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1103237[/ATTACH]
                      Been there and done this! Mine sounded like a bone had snapped into! It looks like they sawed your arm into with a dull saw ! 2 surgeons repaired mine, they drilled holes in my bones- split the tendon, fed the two splits through 2 holes , tied them together. I only did about 2 weeks of therapy then was back at work swinging 12 lb hammers and tore it up again. I haven’t been able to swing a hammer since 2008.

Comment

If I were you I would go and get X rays and an MRI done so when you meet with your ortho he has them to review. My preferred surgeon had Covid which was going to delay the surgery 5 days so I went with my #2 guy since I was being told you need to have the surgery within 2 weeks. They still had to make an extra incision to be able to retrieve my bicep.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                          You have a small window in getting a smooth repair.
                          If you need to find another ortho, do it.
                          I’m trying to find another dr now. Soonest they can see me is oct 5th.

Comment

Distal tear here. I'm glad I did the surgery. My bicep is back to 100%, and I lift regularly with no issues. The above post is correct in that you have a window for surgery. Dr. David Lintner (Did my knee scope) or Dr. Michael Hopson (Did my bicep surgery) ARE EXCEPTIONAL. If you can secure Dr. Litner away from the Astro's playoffs, great, but Dr. Hopson is the same caliper Dr. Both are with Methodist in the Houston/Baytown area.
                            I used shooting bipod/tripod not long after my surgery. My shooting shoulder was the same as my bicep tear. Good luck!

Comment

OUCH! Imagine if that ever happened to your Johnson

Comment

Looks like I gotta just wait a bit. I guess Drs dont work on Fridays anymore. Hopefully Monday one of them will call me back.

Comment

Working...
                                X