Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
    I’d definitely go 20ga

I find it interesting the coach would recommend a 12ga.
    Throw more pellets in the air to make up for shooter and maybe coaching shortcomings

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
      Throw more pellets in the air to make up for shooter and maybe coaching shortcomings

Ha

I’ve been shooting a 20ga forever….12ga is a lot of gun

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Mine started out with a 20 gauge youth model Beretta AL 390. He still has it. He won first place in the only tournament he ever shot in. He’s on your left….
        That’s my favorite gun in the safe! I traded a 390 12ga I didn’t shoot and I wish I had it back! 20ga semi auto for a kid is great. Only give em one she’ll at a time if that how you want it!!

Comment

Starting kids out early is awesome.

My 12yr old started shooting last year at 11 with a Rem 20ga youth model. We looked long and hard for a youth 390 before finding the 11-87. My son in closer to a 10yr old in size so the 13" LOP works well. Only draw back is the 21" barrel which isn't the case with the 390. We've attempted to shoot a 20ga A400 but too difficult with the 14.25" LOP. Another issue is having smaller hands while gripping the gun and still reaching the trigger. He's currently able to shoot 3-4 boxes before having issue with recoil having a gas operated 20ga. Shooting a 12ga is out of the questions for another couple of years in my opinion.

He had a blast at the range this summer and has really made a difference.

Comment

Youth model Remington 870 20 gauge. You can get a thicker butt pad for it as he grows. Or he'll keep it like it is like I did with mine. Those guns will last forever if you take decent care of them.

Comment

My kiddo shot a benelli montefletro 20 ga. and it was absolutely perfect. they'll also change out the youth stock for a full size stock when the kids get older

Comment

There is a stoeger 3020 20ga on 2cool for $475. Looks to be for smaller shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree 20 gauge

My dad bought me a Rem model 1100 12 gauge when I was 10 years old. I was a runt
                  I was duck hunting one morning a little off balance shot & I fell backwards after two shots lol
                  Beautiful shotgun still in great shape to this day 38 years later but it was probably a little more gun than I needed

Comment

I learned to shoot on a single shot 410. I’d recommend that, or even a 28.

Comment

Ammo is a bit more expensive, but a 28ga breaks birds like a 20 with the recoil of a 410

Comment

Youth model gas 20ga. Minimal recoil, and a gun that might actually fit him. Tristar makes a good one for cheap. The A300 is going to be too big unless he's a gargantuan 9 year old. Leave the 410 for popping cans and learning safety. Most single shots swing like a 2x4 with a lead pipe tied to it and a 410 is an expert's gun. Point is, get something that fit him. Give a kid an ill fitting gun, he won't hit anything, it'll beat the heck out of him, and he'll just get frustrated.

Comment

Hard to go wrong with a Weatherby SA-08 youth 20 ga. I know of at least 4 dads that have started their kids with this shotgun with great success . Price point is good too. Lop is like 12 ish inches and you can replace the stock with an adult stock later. Hunted the whitewing opener down south with my buddy’s son who started with it at 10 and is now a junior and they have added the adult stock now. Still going strong.

Hey, not everyone is 6-feet-plus and 200 pounds. For hunters on the smaller scale, I’m ready for gas-operated action with a more compact stock and a fast-swinging 24” barrel.

Comment

Working...
                          X