No announcement yet.

Serious Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of like your “why does a dude spend too much on a rifle and scope?” Just because you can’t do something like someone else doesn’t mean it’s stupid.

You can get real close on score with pics and video. Age also. Judging by teeth is garbage in my opinion.

A hunter learns a ton from asking questions about score and age and getting feedback from experienced hunters. Not to mention it’s fun. I’d rather read those than constant posts about “why do folks do this”. You’d be shocked what you can learn on here from deer age and score posts. I know I’ve learned a ton from lots of folks here over my nearly 16 years on TBH.

Comment

The owner and biologist on my last place I worked on in encinal forbid any public or social media post of our deer or ranch name , my current place everyone just decided we didn’t want to mess with the shoot- no shoot list,

A smart hunter keeps his cards close to his vest IMO

Comment

For some it gets them one post closer to pope and young status !!

Comment

lol i bet you dont talk about football until the superbowl is over

Comment

I’ll keep it simple. Is it bigger than one I have shot in the past? Kaboom. If not. Good times watching!!

Comment

Because this is a bowhunting site. It’s all part of hunting (if you so choose)

Would you rather read poems and the constant biitching/bickering?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Or this

Comment

Poems

It’s all about the rhyme,
                  When trying to kill time.

Deer season isn’t here,
                  So we have to bring cheer.

So let there be no fight,
                  Then it will be alright.

Comment

A few thoughts on the questions, which will basically align with previous comments

There are guys here who can get within inches on the score based off of a picture. It helps others to get better themselves by comparing their thoughts to what others think. If you have a target deer, knowing what he’ll score brings a different level of excitement to the hunt in my opinion. Same goes for aging deer…I’ve learned a ton on both of these aspects from my decade as a member here. Looking back 11+ years ago, I realize how clueless I truly was

As for the shooter/non shooter issue…the two aspects above have a large hand in it as well, IF the OP gives some parameters on their specific lease/hunting grounds. For example, “we are aiming for 5.5 and 140” deer, is this a shooter?” If they don’t add any of that, there is no way to even give a correct answer. What is a shooter in certain counties will not be one in the “Golden Triangle” Mecca of Texas whitetail hunting. And vice versa waiting for a 175”+ in certain counties will leave you eating tag soup for a looooong time

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post
                      1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.
                      With the amount of time I spend scoring deer we, select group of friends, find it fun to see how close we can get from an on the hoof to on the ground stand point. It makes me, at least, feel like a better hunter being able to judge a deer on the hoof.

2. Why do fellers post pictures of deer and ask if they should shoot said deer or not? If your hunting on your lease, or your property why do you care if someone else would shoot it when it's your management program if your following one and someone else may have a much different quality of deer.
                      While I don't care who shoots the deer on our lease we generally prefer to shoot deer that are "mature" for our area maturity mean 4.5 and older. For other parts of the state they are just babies with milk on their chin. However, the more information and thoughts you can gather from others the more you can learn about different parts of the state.

3. Age why ask what a deer ages at when you won't know for sure until you check the jaw if you even know how to age a deer by their jaw. Yeah you may be able to get a guestimate on the age but until your able to check that deer you won't know for sure.
                      Even here we do are best to use the physical characteristics to make an educated guess on the age of the deer. However you are correct we then use the jaws to verify our guess. For the most part we are either right on the money or within a year.

Another, reason most of my acquaintances say or ask these questions is a county wide Whitetail Contest that our Wildlife Management Associations put on. From the full on trophy category to a big 8, and my favorite, Lowest scoring Deer. This deer must be a minimum of 4.5 years old and the lowest scoring deer wins. These prizes match the trophy bucks.

I would venture to say that this contest has saved 100's of deer lives, because everyone is watching the Facebook posts or our website to see if they have a deer that might win one of the categories.
                      Great post

Comment

The off-season is nothing more than a mumbo jumbo jam
                        With lyrical musings from a chef named GumboMan.

Comment

Some people spend way more time studying this than others. I’m always amazed at how accurate some people are at age and score estimates and I believe it’s because they have spent many more hours than I have honing their skills. It’s the same way I’m amazed by how a NFL sportscaster can be in the middle of a conversation with his co-host when a flag is thrown and just casually say “I’m pretty sure this will be holding in the backfield on number…”

Comment

None of those are as bad as the guys that shoot deer and then start a thread asking what it scores. You have the dang horns in front of you so why don’t you tell us what it scores

Comment

This is true.

I ain't figured out the poem threads either.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                                None of those are as bad as the guys that shoot deer and then start a thread asking what it scores. You have the dang horns in front of you so why don’t you tell us what it scores
                                LOL haven't seen one of those yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X