Importance of broadhead sharpness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to recall a rather lengthy post, or possibly a link to an article that explained in detail the importance of broadhead sharpness from a scientific and biologic standpoint. It detailed what hormones were released in the event a broadhead was not sharp and the body recognized the damage. I believe I read this post two to three years ago, and I believe the author of said post may have been tnik. I was hoping to re-read the information shared but can't find it in the search. Anyone have a clue?

Oh no! Not Tnik!

But a BH needs to be the sharpest u can possibly get it !

Comment

It’s by far the most underrated spec in the setup and has made the most overwhelming difference in blood trails since I started hand sharpening every head I shoot. NONE of them are within my standards now

The difference in hemorrhaging is worth the time. Penetration…. Don’t know as I shoot through 99% anyway

Comment

Basically the cleaner the cut the less clotting reaction there is. The more “ragged” or tearing there is the more arteries constrict and the more clotting factors are released. Sharp cuts more blood. This is a gross oversimplification but the core of the issue. It’s a rabbit hole of biology that goes as deep as you want. I’ve talked to a few trauma surgeons about blood loss and various penetrating injuries. My degree is in molecular biology and I over research and over think everything … so I’ve researched how to make things bleed out to an unhealthy extent.

3 years ago my average blood trail on pigs was 60-90 yards. 40’yards is a long trail now, with many going down in under 10. What did I change? Quality steel on broadheads, got obsessed with sharpening, and changed my shot placement.

I now test all heads on a Bess tester, and won’t hunt with a head that doesn’t meet my minimums. For me shaving sharp is the beginning not the end.
        Last edited by Loneaggie; 09-22-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Broadheads need to be scalpel sharp. End of story. You don't need to read anything else. Thank for coming to my Ted Talk.

Comment

**** Tnik!

Comment

I contemplated posting this as tnik doesn't deserve any attention. Maybe I was wrong on who posted this though. I hit my BHs with 8000 grit diamond stone and a leather strope multiple times during the year.

Comment

My fingers and I will personally attest that super sharp knives will keep bleeding for a long time with all medical aids available. A dull knife wont cut as much and will bleed less.

Comment

This is why you should avoid those wicked-looking serrated edge broadheads like Buzzcuts and any with gaps in the blade edges for hunting anything other than small game. They tend to grab and tear the tissue instead of slicing it cleanly.

Comment

Working...
                  X