Serious Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Questions

As deer season is upon us I notice more and more posts with target deer. What I don't understand is, 1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.

2. Why do fellers post pictures of deer and ask if they should shoot said deer or not? If your hunting on your lease, or your property why do you care if someone else would shoot it when it's your management program if your following one and someone else may have a much different quality of deer.

3. Age why ask what a deer ages at when you won't know for sure until you check the jaw if you even know how to age a deer by their jaw. Yeah you may be able to get a guestimate on the age but until your able to check that deer you won't know for sure.

If you have any rude comments because these questions offend you in any way, don't bother posting on this thread.

Some are probably exited about the buck they are chasing and just want to share it with others.

Some are trying to learn if their guess on size and age are close to what others think.

Comment

I believe it adds to the excitement of the hunt and the season that we all long await….for most people. It passes time and gives some guys insight on the deer that anticipate to see while in the stand. It’s a bow hunting forum so we enjoy seeing deer pics and what other areas of Texas are producing, if people choose to share the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Imho it should be "is this a buck you want spreading genes?"

Comment

Agree with the above.
          If/when I see a new deer, I like to share and get opinions. I don't hunt a lease, and no rules but I like to learn and by seeing other deer, especially from the same area of the state lets you learn.

Comment

It’s fun to look at. It’s about deer hunting this is a deer hunting site. Way better than posts like this

Comment

I believe getting second opinions on age is a solid practice. You are somewhat correct in saying you wont know for sure until the deer is dead, but if folks are trying to shoot 5+ yo deer, then sharing pictures with buddies, lease mates, green screen, etc to get other opinions is valid. Wont be correct 100% of the time, but will probably be right more times than wrong. As far as asking if a deer is a shooter based on antler size....I dont understand the reasoning behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                As deer season is upon us I notice more and more posts with target deer. What I don't understand is, 1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.

2. Why do fellers post pictures of deer and ask if they should shoot said deer or not? If your hunting on your lease, or your property why do you care if someone else would shoot it when it's your management program if your following one and someone else may have a much different quality of deer.

3. Age why ask what a deer ages at when you won't know for sure until you check the jaw if you even know how to age a deer by their jaw. Yeah you may be able to get a guestimate on the age but until your able to check that deer you won't know for sure.

If you have any rude comments because these questions offend you in any way, don't bother posting on this thread.
                Multiple choice questions. The right or wrong answer depends on the person.
                The answers do not coincide with your 1, 2, 3 questions and just answers the general question, why.

1. It is an easy way to brag without being obnoxious

2. They lack confidence in their own ability to judge and question if they should or should not shoot that particular deer.

3. They are simply curious as to what the deer will look like once he is shot because in truth, they know they are going to shoot. It probably ads to the excitement and anticipation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                  It’s fun to look at. It’s about deer hunting this is a deer hunting site. Way better than posts like this
                  That’s strike 1

I think the score & age questions are legit questions cause they may not be as experienced as some aging or scoring deer. Maybe they have a buck that looks to meet their lease requirements or want to achieve a P&Y or personal record so they ask others if the scoring or age aligns with their thoughts or guess

As for the “would you shoot this deer” yeah really only that person can determine that cause there’s a broad spectrum on some guys will shoot nothing under a certain age/score & others are in it to put meat in the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                    As deer season is upon us I notice more and more posts with target deer. What I don't understand is,

1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.
                    With the amount of time I spend scoring deer we, select group of friends, find it fun to see how close we can get from an on the hoof to on the ground stand point. It makes me, at least, feel like a better hunter being able to judge a deer on the hoof.

While I don't care who shoots the deer on our lease we generally prefer to shoot deer that are "mature" for our area maturity mean 4.5 and older. For other parts of the state they are just babies with milk on their chin. However, the more information and thoughts you can gather from others the more you can learn about different parts of the state.

Even here we do are best to use the physical characteristics to make an educated guess on the age of the deer. However you are correct we then use the jaws to verify our guess. For the most part we are either right on the money or within a year.

Another, reason most of my acquaintances say or ask these questions is a county wide Whitetail Contest that our Wildlife Management Associations put on. From the full on trophy category to a big 8, and my favorite, Lowest scoring Deer. This deer must be a minimum of 4.5 years old and the lowest scoring deer wins. These prizes match the trophy bucks.

I would venture to say that this contest has saved 100's of deer lives, because everyone is watching the Facebook posts or our website to see if they have a deer that might win one of the categories.

Comment

Some need more help than others which gives additional value to this forum. I personally like seeing the pictures that are submitted. Scores can be given pretty accurately given the proper pictures and angle. Age is just a guessing game at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Some need more help than others which gives additional value to this forum. I personally like seeing the pictures that are submitted. Scores can be given pretty accurately given the proper pictures and angle. Age is just a guessing game at best.
                        Yeah the age can be hard to guess. Everyone guessed Burnadell was a century plus or minus

Comment

None of those questions really matter if you hunt on low fence property in Wilson county.

Honestly, a 5 year old buck is a rarity and a 130 class is a trophy in my area. I have seen some nice ones come off the San Antonio river bottoms or off high fence but not many off low fence, lot of pressure put on them around me.
                          Last edited by Radar; 09-22-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Lots of wisdom on here…

Deer in East Texas age a bit different than south texas…

Always good to ask for knowledge…cause there are “a lotta good folks here”

Comment

The answer to both questions is that this is a deer hunting forum. We discuss all things deer hunting, and try to learn in order to make ourselves better deer hunters. Some age and score threads are just for fun discussion where the OP has years of knowledge of the deer, and provides good information for people who tune into the thread. Other threads are people that may have age restrictive rules, or they may just not want to shoot a young deer so they come here to get a lot of opinions. They are some of the most productive threads on this site actually pertaining to deer hunting IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X