East Texas Fall Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on what blend I could plant now that would give them nutrition all that way untill mid summer? I know some clovers mature at different times.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Turner fall deer mix w/clover is tall and thick in early May when I terminate it and plant cowpeas, but will be mature in May/June and deer aren’t eating it. There is plenty of other browse that time of year.

I sprayed 2 weeks ago and waiting on rain before broadcasting for no till plots. Probably will be mid Oct this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on what blend I could plant now that would give them nutrition all that way untill mid summer? I know some clovers mature at different times.

If you are planting in East Texas, a good start would be to plant oats/cereal rye at about 100 lbs acre combined, plus 10 lbs of crimson clover and 5 lbs of arrowleaf clover to the acre. Assuming you have good soil fertility and decent pH, you should have quality forage up to June +/- 1 month depending on heat.

I have been planting a variation of that mix for 10+years and it works hands down. Once you get the clovers established well, you don't have to plant them but every other or every third year.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        I sprayed two fields today with Gly and Target 6. Target 6 does wonders for grass burs and yellow nutsedge. Around here when the hogs root they is chasing the nuts on the roots of the nutsedge.

One field near the creek bottom has hard pan so bad that I will moldboard plow it, I never sprayed it either. I have oat and purple top turnip seeds bought.

We are still in drought real bad here, the army worms are out as well. I would like to plant before the last week of October but I have planted in November.

I envy you fellas up north and to the east of me, you can grow so much more of a variety in your plots than I can. I have to use drought resistant strains on everything I plant.
        What would the addition of MSMA do if you area already using Gly? I would think that with 3-4 pints per acre of Gly would give plenty of burndown on grasses?

Comment

Just waiting for rain in the forecast to plant. Im wanting to use a blend from east texas seed company, Atwoods sells it. Anyone have any experience with that seed blend?

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Comment

To dry at my place in blossom to plant. Quick question for not till is it better to toss it into high weeds then mow the weeds so the seeds are covered up?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
              What would the addition of MSMA do if you area already using Gly? I would think that with 3-4 pints per acre of Gly would give plenty of burndown on grasses?
              Gly does not kill Nutsedge. Nutsedge is not a grass or a broad leaf, so a non selective herbicide like Gly does not kill it.

I can deal with some nutsedge but when we have poor soil conditions like this year it really spreads. Right now the Nutsedge in my area is headed out and I was told to treat it now. This picture is a result of hogs rooting up a patch of nutgrass in one of my plots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	root1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	24692878

Comment

plowed mine up behind the house last night and going to plow the other one up this weekend. Planning to plant this and my winter pasture about the 1wk of October. Hoping to see some rain by then...

Comment

Jeff, I had good luck with Sedgehammer on what little sedge I had on the place I sold. It’s expensive but it works. Luckily I only had a little spot of it so it wasn’t too bad. The hogs love to root in it !

Comment

Originally posted by dbpredator View Post
                    Just waiting for rain in the forecast to plant. Im wanting to use a blend from east texas seed company, Atwoods sells it. Anyone have any experience with that seed blend?

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
                    Which one is it? think they have a few i used something from them last year then i added some other stuff in with it. only thing that came up was the wheat and rye. Maybe i choked it out idk.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
                      To dry at my place in blossom to plant. Quick question for not till is it better to toss it into high weeds then mow the weeds so the seeds are covered up?

Yes, if you aren’t able to or don’t want to spray. Seed it heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Jeff, I had good luck with Sedgehammer on what little sedge I had on the place I sold. It’s expensive but it works. Luckily I only had a little spot of it so it wasn’t too bad. The hogs love to root in it !
                        I have used Sledgehammer but when it comes to several acres needing treated it was not cost effective. Target6 is 110.00 for 2.5 gallons and will do several acres twice a year. It will also kill the heck out of pigweed and dallis grass.

I was told molasses and water mix will kill Nutsedge, lol. I could only imagine the hogs and coons finding molasses flavored weeds.
                        Last edited by Radar; 09-22-2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          Gly does not kill Nutsedge. Nutsedge is not a grass or a broad leaf, so a non selective herbicide like Gly does not kill it.

I can deal with some nutsedge but when we have poor soil conditions like this year it really spreads. Right now the Nutsedge in my area is headed out and I was told to treat it now. This picture is a result of hogs rooting up a patch of nutgrass in one of my plots.
                          Got it, thanks. Learned something new today.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Do y'all know if anything that could be planted on the roads through the lease that can handle occasional traffic.a

Comment

I sprayed my plots Labor Day weekend in preparation to plant last weekend or this weekend…. I am waiting on some rain in the forecast before pulling the trigger. Looking like it will be after season opens…. I hate that, I like it to be done before season starts so all I need to worry about is hunting and having a good time.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Do y'all know if anything that could be planted on the roads through the lease that can handle occasional traffic.a

Depends on the soil type. If it’s not too sandy white clovers will work. You won’t have anything growing in the ruts but the rest of it will be ok. I used Imperial Whitetail clover on a couple of roads in a creek bottom and it worked well. Just need to spray clethodim once a year or so to kill the grasses and mow it high, 8” or so off the ground, when it blooms. That will normally take care of the weeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X