East Texas Fall Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Fall Plots

Anyone planted yet? I sprayed my plots last week and just waiting on rain in the forecast to plant.

Most of my stuff is turned over, just waiting on rain now.

Comment

I planted September 1, because there was rain in the forecast all that week. So far, I’ve only got 3 showers on it, but it’s doing surprisingly well considering. I planted BFO’s and a food plot blend a friend in Oklahoma sells. The deer love it.
      Last edited by retrieverman; 09-21-2022, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I am going to spray this weekend, but when I was there Monday night it was too dry and I didn't like the 10 day forecast.

Comment

Sprayed about a month ago. Waiting on mid October is and wet forecast. Going to try something new this year. Planting about 1.5 acres in a fall blend.

The experiment will be pinto beans. Saw a 50lb sack of pintos at Sam's for fairly cheap that got the wheels turning. Went home, planted a few out of my bean jar, and every one of them sprouted. Went back to Sam's and bought a sack. Going to plant them with the fall blend. Have done some research since then and found that the people that plant them, say the deer hammer em. We shall see.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

All mine at home were sprayed today, the plots at the lease that I didn’t get a week ago were also sprayed today. I don’t have any big plots, 1/2 acre being about the biggest, but I have lots of smaller plots. Some of them need a little lime, that’s next. I’m fighting Red Root Pigweed in one plot. I smoked it a few weeks ago but the little rain we had brought out some more, which I sprayed this morning. That chit is hard to get rid of with the thousands of seeds each plant produces. I’m just waiting on some kind of rain in the forecast now.

Comment

I planted Saturday in hopes of something happening. Wasn't sure if I was late or early but wanted to at least get in the ground but rain is not looking good.

Comment

Sprayed my plots this past weekend, waiting on the rain. Probably wont get too creative with the blend this year.

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on what blend I could plant now that would give them nutrition all that way untill mid summer? I know some clovers mature at different times.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                    Anyone have any suggestions on what blend I could plant now that would give them nutrition all that way untill mid summer? I know some clovers mature at different times.

Most clovers go dormant in the winter, but Medium Red does pretty well. I plant wheat and Daikon Radish, sometimes add Medium Red. I used to plant Austrian Winter Peas and it did well but I could never see much evidence that the deer actually browsed them. As a rule I don’t like blends packaged together because varying sizes of seeds need different depths. I usually plant my wheat, drag it in, and plant the radish or clover (or both) on top, then drag again.

Comment

Plowing this weekend. Planting next week

Comment

Mine is in the ground, planted 12 days ago. No rain that I know of since we planted. Hope to get some soon!

Comment

I sprayed two fields today with Gly and Target 6. Target 6 does wonders for grass burs and yellow nutsedge. Around here when the hogs root they is chasing the nuts on the roots of the nutsedge.

One field near the creek bottom has hard pan so bad that I will moldboard plow it, I never sprayed it either. I have oat and purple top turnip seeds bought.

We are still in drought real bad here, the army worms are out as well. I would like to plant before the last week of October but I have planted in November.

I envy you fellas up north and to the east of me, you can grow so much more of a variety in your plots than I can. I have to use drought resistant strains on everything I plant.
                          Last edited by Radar; 09-21-2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Too dry here to even tear up the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Most clovers go dormant in the winter, but Medium Red does pretty well. I plant wheat and Daikon Radish, sometimes add Medium Red. I used to plant Austrian Winter Peas and it did well but I could never see much evidence that the deer actually browsed them. As a rule I don’t like blends packaged together because varying sizes of seeds need different depths. I usually plant my wheat, drag it in, and plant the radish or clover (or both) on top, then drag again.
                              Thanks. I thought about clover mix, with the addition of chicory and alfalfa

Comment

Working...
                              X