No announcement yet.

3L Duramax opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with BigLee - these issues definitely will impact your turbo motors( big or small. Diesel or gas)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton truck I would definitely consider the Duramax; even as hideous as I think the current body style is.

My SIL has one and gets 26 combined 30 on the highway in an RST (I think) 4x4 crew cab.

The 2023 just got a nice little bump in power and some other upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. Chevy wrestled the ugliest pickup title from Toyota fair and square…and I’m a lifelong GM guy. The tiny Duramax puts a great drivetrain under all that ugly though. Go figure[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2022 Sierra AT4 with the duramax. I like it a lot but the best mileage I am seeing is about 24 on the Highway 21 in the city.

Comment

I just bought a 2021 gmc with the 3L duramax and am loving it so far, but it has only been 1 month. The best mileage I’ve calculated so far is 27, worst is 24, wit a mix of city and highway driving. Pulling my 18’ skiff to the coast I got right at 20, and the truck doesn’t really know it’s there. I think it’s a great engine, but only time will tell. I’ve got a little over 3k on it, so it’s just getting broken in. For reference, my suburban with the 5.3 was getting about 10mpg pullling the boat.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Yes if I decide to go that route the body style will take some getting used to. I think they are ugly too. I also saw the new f150 and thought the same thing. It all really depends on what they actually offer me on my f250. They said they think I will be pretty surprised. Well I’m gonna need to be to make a deal. I absolutely love that truck. It’s a bit more than I need and costs me a bit more than I really need to paying to drive it. Everyone told me I’ll get 20 mpg out of it but I have yet to see it. It averages around 17 with nothing behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
              Can’t a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues
              Id imagine so considering the tundra can pull the space shuttle

Comment

Since the only criteria you provided for us is you don't need your current '19 F250, I would say never buy a truck because "fuel mileage". it's a truck, it's never going to get "good" fuel mileage.

And I have to imagine a '19 F250 can push 20 mpg. If your current truck (which just turned 3 years old) hasn't given you any issues, I would not jump into the unknown with a new truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Id imagine so considering the tundra can pull the space shuttle
                  And still get 10mpg!

Comment

Have a 22' 3.0 duramax, great little motor. Personal would wait for redesigned LZO 3.0 as they are going with steel pistons, tuning turbo, etc.

Mixed driving, 25mpg and often get 30 on highway (SLT 4x4).

Comment

A 1500 can pull that boat. Just saying

No diesel or Duramax needed

Comment

How long do you plan on keeping it? The belt that drives the oil pump is at the back of the engine so the transmission needs to be removed to service it. Recommended service interval is 150k miles, but I would do it at 100k or 10 years, whichever came first.
                        Last edited by blaqkpanda; 09-19-2022, 09:58 AM. Reason: oil pump belt, not timing belt

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
                          How long do you plan on keeping it? The timing belt is at the back of the engine so the transmission needs to be removed to service it. Recommended service interval is 150k miles, but I would do it at 100k or 10 years, whichever came first.
                          Well that sucks.

I would go 6.2 over the duramax.
                          I am going to drive the wheels off my current diesel, but it’s probably the last diesel I ever buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            Well that sucks.

I would go 6.2 over the duramax.
                            I am going to drive the wheels off my current diesel, but it’s probably the last diesel I ever buy.
                            It's actually the oil pump belt, not the timing belt.

Comment

Love mine, runs like a top. It does get poor fuel mileage when towing a heavy trailer, but great otherwise. It’s a 2020 with 46K on it.

Comment

I have been seriously considering buying a 3.0L diesel truck, but read about issues on the internet that has me spooked. Most people don't have any issues, but some have major issues, with their trucks spending weeks in the shop waiting on parts. I am not one to trade trucks every couple of years. My current truck is a 20 year old GMC 1500HD with the 6 liter and the gas mileage sucks, but I'll never spend nearly enough in gas to justify having a truck payment again.

Comment

Working...
                                X