Cartridge Opinions, Shiloh Sharps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartridge Opinions, Shiloh Sharps

Well I’ve decided to bite the bullet and place an order with Kirk and Lucinda at Shiloh Sharps for an 1874 Montana Roughrider.

Here’s my conundrum, I have decided on all other custom features I want but I’m trying to decide on caliber.

I’m trying to decide between the 45-70 and the 45-100. The 70 gives me the smokeless option on reloading but I already have a 45-70 and other cartridges I reload for.

I am no stranger to reloading and have reloaded all my own hunting and competition ammunition since I was a kid so loading black powder cartridges won’t be a problem, but...

If I get the 100, I will have to load strictly black powder, real black powder, not pyrodex (my choice), and there will not be the option for smokeless. This is the biggest issue I’m struggling with. I want the 100 more but am somewhat curious if I will be upset because I won’t be able to use smokeless powder.

I’m not worried about cleaning, fowling or blowtubing, I’ve read that cleaning a breech loading powder rifle is a breeze and in a hunting situation I wouldn’t be taking more than a couple of shots anyway. I also do not care about the availability of factory ammunition because I will reload 100% of this rifle’s ammunition.

I’m also gonna cast my own bullets from lead alloy.

Just wanting some thoughts from those who have owned or currently own a black powder cartridge rifle.

What would you go with? I’ve already got several rifles that can kill whatever I wanted to on the planet so I’m not in the “good all around gun” category.
    Last edited by UltraMax; 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM.

50-90 Sharps...

Javi

Comment

But.....if the range is full...2 sounds from the wind end and most will go home

Comment

The 50-90 does sound sweet....

But of the 2 listed i would go with the 45-70. The smokeless option would seal the deal for me. I don't know if you would ever sell it, but i would suspect selling the 45-70 would be a little easier too. Sounds like a great rifle either way

Comment

I had a genuine '86 in 50/110 WCF, many years ago and it was a blast to shoot.

Javi

Comment

I would go with 45-70 just for the smokeless option. I have been looking at them for many years just haven’t placed my order yet.

Comment

Oh believe me I’ve looked into the 50-90 because I will mostly hunt with it, but I know that I will be shooting this thing in BPCR Silhouette matches and the 50-90 May be a little stout.

With the 45-70, smokeless loads and gas checked bullets I can outperform any black powder cartridge (this includes the 45-120) and the Shiloh’s can withstand Ruger no 1 pressures, which can push a 500 grn bullet up to 1800fps, which is within 150fps of a light load .458 Winchester of the same grain bullet, but....

I most likely would not push the rifle, or my shoulder, to that extreme.

A BP loaded 45-100 will push a 530 grain bullet around 1300-1400fps, the 45-70 is about 1100-1200fps.

My brain is telling me to get the 45-70 but I keep debating with myself.
              Last edited by UltraMax; 09-16-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

My thinking would be that if I had an authentic replica (which I do, but in a muzzleloader) I would use authentic components (which I do - BP). So my suggestion would be go with 45-100 and use BP to get the true authentic experience. Besides, there is nothing like the smell of BP smoke in the early mornings.

Comment

I went with a 45/70
                  I loaded some BP but the cleaning made me go back to smokeless
                  You can load a Barnes pointed bullet up to plum silly velocity
                  It is my favorite rifle
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	A04EEF6E-5AA3-4EDF-8881-3E97CA404E9F.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	24552464

Comment

444 Marlin

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I went with a 45/70

It is my favorite rifle

[ATTACH]924769[/ATTACH]

That’s a beautiful rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go 45/70 because I’m not a fan of cleaning black powder rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          I went with a 45/70
                          It is my favorite rifle
                          [ATTACH]924769[/ATTACH]
                          Buff, can you please tell me a little about your rifle. Did you have the barrel polished? What kind of accuracy are you getting? What grade of wood? What grain of Barnes bullet? Please and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                            444 Marlin
                            They don’t offer it in that cartridge. Only old school cartridges originally loaded with black powder.

Comment

If you step up to Dakota Arms

I know sharps has 444 Marlin too but it might depend on configuration.

Last edited by Johnny44; 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X