School me on hog trap door.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on hog trap door.

Gonna build a hog trap from cattle panels. I searched but didn’t find any clear ideas on a trigger for the door. Any positive suggestions are appreciated, if possible please include pics. I thought I would buy one but the Monarch fabrication place near me closed.
    Thanks
    Bert

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
    Gonna build a hog trap from cattle panels. I searched but didn’t find any clear ideas on a trigger for the door. Any positive suggestions are appreciated, if possible please include pics. I thought I would buy one but the Monarch fabrication place near me closed.

Thanks

Bert

Bert search figure 6 hog trap!
    It’s a push in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you wanting to build a box style trap? Or use t-post with the cattle panels for a pen type trap?

There are drop style/guillotine doors, saloon style doors (both single and double), and swing-down doors in single, double, and triple pending trap size. A lot depends on the type of trap you want to construct.

There is also the circle 6 trap that doesn't have a so called "trap door". It's made from just cattle panels and t-post.

Comment

What kind?

Sallon doors work ok, but they will trap deer.

Root up flip doors work well enough but little ones can't flip it.

Drop gates only trap the ones in it and won't allow more.

IMO, Most gates are not big enough. They are too narrow to allow a hog to comfortably pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAR View Post
          Bert search figure 6 hog trap!
          It’s a push in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This is what I build . I use 6 or 8 panels .

Comment

My north has a huge hog population that hits it every day, my thoughts were 3 cattle panels per side, feeder located on one corner so it throw inside and out. During deer season I would close the door so no pigs inside, but would feed on corn outside. Leave door open during off season so pigs can go in to be trapped. I would rig door to fall when I’m thereto set and harvest.
            Thoughts on that plan?
            Thanks
            Bert

Comment

I've found it works better with a bunch of corn . Deer feeder wont put out enough corn for the trap.. dont build it with square corners they will hit the corners trying to run through it... make a circle .

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
                My north has a huge hog population that hits it every day, my thoughts were 3 cattle panels per side, feeder located on one corner so it throw inside and out. During deer season I would close the door so no pigs inside, but would feed on corn outside. Leave door open during off season so pigs can go in to be trapped. I would rig door to fall when I’m thereto set and harvest.
                Thoughts on that plan?
                Thanks
                Bert
                I found that my plans and the hogs' plans didn't often coincide, you just have to try something until you get lucky.

Comment

Go to YouTube and search figure 6 hog trap. You will find a bunch of videos there. Build one for a lady that had a problem with hogs. Work like a champ problem solved.

Comment

I have a cattle panel that is bent under pressure around t-posts for a door. I have a simple loop around the panel/door and a t-post with a pin in the loop. The pin is tied to 1 end and stretches across the pen to the other side and tied to another t-post. It is about 14 inches off the ground. A pig will walk into it and this will pull the pin from the loop and the door slams shut. Pigs can still push into the door but they can't get out. This opening is chained top and bottom to another t-post so it can't be pushed out or up. I use a circle 6 design. I also have a piece of PVC pipe at the end of the panel at the door opening so the door does not hang up on anything.

Comment

I use a figure 6 panel teapot and use a piece of wood to prop it open about 3/4 way up the panel with a trip wire in the back works great just dont make it to big cause they will blow through the panels

Comment

Here's one of my traps--both have the same door style which is the one I like best and have had the most success with. Both traps have a feeder inside too.

My trigger is a rope stretched across from side to side behind the feeder across from the door, with a rope tied to it that leads to a wire hook at the gate that holds the door open. When they root against the back rope, it pulls the hook off the door, door closes, and you got 'em. There are 2 t-posts inside, one on either side of the gate with a wire strung between them that holds the hook.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Thanks for the input gents

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                              I have a cattle panel that is bent under pressure around t-posts for a door. I have a simple loop around the panel/door and a t-post with a pin in the loop. The pin is tied to 1 end and stretches across the pen to the other side and tied to another t-post. It is about 14 inches off the ground. A pig will walk into it and this will pull the pin from the loop and the door slams shut. Pigs can still push into the door but they can't get out. This opening is chained top and bottom to another t-post so it can't be pushed out or up. I use a circle 6 design. I also have a piece of PVC pipe at the end of the panel at the door opening so the door does not hang up on anything.
                              Any pics of the PVC? I always try to clean up the dirt and grass so the door wont hang up. I also raised the door panel one notch on the t post to give a bit of clearance.

Comment

Working...
                              X