Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're headed to the ASC annual swap meet in the morning to see what we see.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      500 nitro express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s hunting moose not mammoths lol

Comment

As is often the case the premise I started with turned out to be inaccurate.

1) his tag is for either muley or elk they sometimes get a moose tag but he didn’t get one.
        2) the guy who invited him actually said 200-1000 yard opportunities

I’ve decided to loan him my .308 and get him confident with it out to 300 yards.

Comment

I don’t know how much the ones I saw in Idaho but the one bull had to weigh more than 600 and the one cow I saw weighed prolly around 600. They are still very big. I have been within barrel reach of a cow and less than an arm length from a bull. Actually the bull at one time had his head over my blind. If you aren’t hunting them and get this close it is some scary stuff.

Comment

7mm Mag or 300 would be great all around guns. 500 is a long dang way though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
              As is often the case the premise I started with turned out to be inaccurate.

1) his tag is for either muley or elk they sometimes get a moose tag but he didn’t get one.
              2) the guy who invited him actually said 200-1000 yard opportunities

I’ve decided to loan him my .308 and get him confident with it out to 300 yards.
              Elk are tougher than moose for sure

Comment

The 300 WM is great but don’t forget about the 338, it’s a potent big game cartridge. Also, I have been very impressed with my dad’s 375 H&H on similar sized game.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                  Load it with some 150 Barnes and get after it.
                  My thoughts exactly, he should be familiar with the gun and it won't cost him a fortune to shoot 100 rounds at the range before he goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                    270 wby imo
                    Mag. That’s my favorite caliber.

Comment

I’ve never killed a moose but have ready plenty about hunting them. They are big but not necessarily tough. Europeans have been killing them with 6.5’s for a long time. The best moose round is something that you can shoot very well. I’d have him shoot accubonds, partitions or ttsx out of his 270 or your 308. You punch one of those through their lungs and I recon they aren’t going far

Comment

I used to shoot a lot. Practiced at 200 and had no issues killing a couple of deer at 300. didn't have a good rangefinder then, and 25yds misranged at 300 isn't that big of a deal. 25 yds misranged at 400 is a miss. But today, I would hesitate at 300 until I had some practice. With practice, shooting at range and good range numbers, 500 would be very possible. If I could see it. lol

Comment

Gunny have him go with a 7mag. Very flat great energy at 300-500 yards

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                            I’ve never killed a moose but have ready plenty about hunting them. They are big but not necessarily tough. Europeans have been killing them with 6.5’s for a long time. The best moose round is something that you can shoot very well. I’d have him shoot accubonds, partitions or ttsx out of his 270 or your 308. You punch one of those through their lungs and I recon they aren’t going far

This. There is nothing native to this continent that won’t fall very quickly from a well placed “small” bullet at those ranges.

Your comment about him needing plenty of practice leads one to believe that he is a relatively inexperienced shooter. Have him practice with whatever he has that doesn’t cause him to jerk or flinch. Have him aim for the center of the lungs. Moose lungs are huge (even Shiras Moose) and offer a large margin for error to maintain a lethal shot. Their ribs are not hard to punch through and there’s not 6” of muscle to plow through (like the shoulder).

Any centerfire round of mid-.20 cal and up will dispatch moose handily at 100 - 200 yards. Use a quality bonded bullet.

Don’t freak him out about it. Make him comfortable shooting a 18” target at 300 yards and any shot 200 yards or less will be a walk in the park.

Comment

Working...
                            X