Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 WM or 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet, I bet the moose won't know the difference. It all comes down to which one he can shoot better.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      What rifle does he have now?
      Ruger .270

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        Ruger .270
        Load it with some 150 Barnes and get after it.

Comment

6.5x55 sweed, 6.5creed, .260 remington.

Comment

Where did he get the info that most shots are at 500 yards?

I always thought you needed long range shooting skills for elk, but after reading a ton I've learned most shots are 200 yards or less.

I bet Moose are the same.

His .270 will work with the right load, but shot placement will be key. But less be honest, even with the 300WM he has to hit the vitals.

Comment

Took my last Shiras with my 270 wsm 140 gr bonded bullet. 300WM is not needed.
              No way he should expect a 500 yd shot.
              30-06 with a 180 gr bullet will work just fine.

Comment

If he already has a .270, he has plenty of gun.

Comment

I am a reasonably good shot but no way would I even consider any shot beyond 300 yds, and then only under optimum conditions with light, wind, rest. IF and only if the shot involved a wounded animal, then longer range might be in my mind.

The folks that shoot at animals at the extreme ranges are reckless in my opinion---same as folks taking a 60-80 yd shot with a bow.

Comment

I’m bringing a .300 win mag for my 2020 moose hunt but according to the outfitter a .270 is fine.

Load up with 180 grain partitions or accubonds and your golden

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      I am a reasonably good shot but no way would I even consider any shot beyond 300 yds, and then only under optimum conditions with light, wind, rest. IF and only if the shot involved a wounded animal, then longer range might be in my mind.

The folks that shoot at animals at the extreme ranges are reckless in my opinion---same as folks taking a 60-80 yd shot with a bow.
                      The key to anything is knowing your personal limits. I’m a pretty decent shot and depending on environmental factors I have no problem taking a shot on an animal past 500 yards, but you have to know your rifle and understand how the animal is acting.

Comment

I would load up some Nosler 200 grain Partitions in both the 300 Win. Mag and the 06. You really should not go on a hunt that far away without a back up rifle. I would plan on the 300 Win. Mag as the primary gun, with the 06 as a back up gun. Not a lot of difference in a 06 with 200 gr. bullets and a 300 Win. Mag, with 200 gr. bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                          300 Win Mag is always the correct answer on anything larger than varmints.
                          Agreed

Comment

270 wby imo

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

You could stand to practice a bit more then.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                                I would load up some Nosler 200 grain Partitions in both the 300 Win. Mag and the 06. You really should not go on a hunt that far away without a back up rifle. I would plan on the 300 Win. Mag as the primary gun, with the 06 as a back up gun. Not a lot of difference in a 06 with 200 gr. bullets and a 300 Win. Mag, with 200 gr. bullets.
                                This also Montana is supporting a good grizzly population. I work with a guy that was mauled there by a grizzly and almost died. I would take enough gun !

Comment

Working...
                                X