• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One from Dunlap before the dam failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting San Marcos River

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
      Man this is really cool, I have seen similar to these but black, can they be black?

Yes sir. This particular plecostomus (assume it’s a subspecies of a more general suckermouth/sailfin based on their global distribution) ranges from yellow to greenish black. Based on my very limited experience.

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-18-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        I tossed them far out on the bank for the critters to eat.

As you should for ALL invasives! I bet that was an unpleasant surprise at the end of a line. They certainly aren’t any fun to handle with all those spines and with the way they flex their entire body! Sure are some strong little fish. I guess from fighting the current all day?

Comment

This is fascinating. Glad you took out some invasive species. Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up.

Comment

neat post

Comment

I got one in my aquarium now that's about 8", he's a pain to deal with when I clean the tank, their strong without current. When our last one got that big, he committed suicide. Jumped out of the tank and was strong enough to push the glass door open to get out. Found him dried up behind the tank a couple days after he did it.LOL

Oh yea, Good Job on getting Rid of those. I hear Decker Lake is full of some Big ones.

Comment

I've had them in aquariums for years and it still gives me the heebie jeebies to touch them.

Comment

Hunting San Marcos River

I should add that I made a very small dent in overall numbers, even in this short stretch of river. While I make it sound difficult, the guys with the earlier time slots were pulling out 25+ each.

It was a ton of fun. I’ll post up the next one for anybody interested in participating. A decent spear could be had for $40. I almost wish I would’ve bought a cheapo instead of beating up my carbon pole.

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
                  Found him dried up behind the tank a couple days after he did it.

Lol should’ve given him some water. I saw a video of some dead, dried out fish. The guy easily snapped the main dorsal spine off as if it had been dry for weeks. Flipped it over and poured a bit of water in its mouth. It immediately snapped back to life. Theyre aliens, man.
                  Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-18-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Might have a bad dream! Spines, aliens, blood on the tailgate, man you would think this was a hunting group or worse, swimmers with spears> Oh my close the fish borders

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      Might have a bad dream! Spines, aliens, blood on the tailgate, man you would think this was a hunting group or worse, swimmers with spears> Oh my close the fish borders
                      What? #PunctuationMatters

"Might have a bad dream. Spines, aliens, and blood on the tailgate! Man, you would think this was a hunting group. Or worse, swimmers with spears. Oh my! Close the fish borders!"

I think i translated that correctly. Are you complaining about the fishing write-up on a hunting site, hating on spearfishing, or downplaying the impact of the invasive fish?

1) Your avatar is a fish LDP. Tons of fishing reports throughout this site. This is in "Around the Campfire". IDK about yours, but we talk about lots of stuff other than hunting at my campfire. Also, 1 of every 100 new threads is actually about hunting this time of year. Even less with all the stuff going on now.

2) One category in the tournament was "Trash collection." Most collected trash items were fishing gear. In an area where it is illegal to fish... That is the case every time i go spearing. I end up spending most of my time untangling/removing abandoned fishing gear. Especially around the jetties. There's so much junk that entanglement is a very serious risk when 40' deep (relatively shallow) on a single breath of air. Lines/lures, weights, anchors, etc... How much trash do you collect every fishing trip?

3) "Or worse, swimmers with spears." Are you concerned with safety? I was the ONLY person in the world permitted to do any fishing/spearing in that stretch of river in that time slot. Even if there is another diver in the river for that slot, 30' spacing is the rule of thumb. (Polespear range is about length of pole. 5' this tourney) I practice the same 4 safety rules with my polespear and spearguns as you do with rifles. Just because you are ignorant to my spearing safety, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sound like the gun grabbers on CNN!
                      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-23-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

very cool

Comment

That cool, they should allow people to spear those things year round, since they want invasive species removed. I have seen a lot of those in Comal and Guadalupe Rivers, in the New Braunfels area.

Comment

Very cool, good work

Comment

That looks like fun! KAP may have to have two meanings now.

Comment

Niiiice!

Great job!

Comment

Working...
                                X