No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! We saw a bald eagle flying over the river this past weekend. It was cool to see! We had seen one last Spring roosting over the river.

Comment

I will use the drone a lot for habitat before and after pictures and will use it to help find dead deer. I think the drone will be a great tool for us. We usually use Google Earth but they haven’t updated our area since 2016 and we’ve done a lot of habitat work since then so our place looks totally different.

I purchased the Hubsan Zino Pro. This is my 1st drone and I didn’t want to spend more than $400. It has a 3-axis gimbal and 4K so the video is very smooth and crisp. I want the JDI mavic or the FIMI models but those are around $1,000. I will say that I’m very impressed with the Zino Pro so far.

Comment

2/27/20 Continued

Here are some more pictures from the past weekend.

We tried to burn some piles after receiving 1.3in the week prior but as you can see the fire spread pretty quickly. Lots of raking and shoveling to get it settled down.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2424 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	24609375

The food plots are coming up slowly. I am seeing wheat, silver river clover and burr clovers starting to come up.

Name:	IMG_2426 (Medium).jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	24609376

Name:	IMG_2428 (Medium).jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	24609377

Name:	IMG_2519 (Medium).jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24609378

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          I will use the drone a lot for habitat before and after pictures and will use it to help find dead deer. I think the drone will be a great tool for us. We usually use Google Earth but they haven’t updated our area since 2016 and we’ve done a lot of habitat work since then so our place looks totally different.

I purchased the Hubsan Zino Pro. This is my 1st drone and I didn’t want to spend more than $400. It has a 3-axis gimbal and 4K so the video is very smooth and crisp. I want the JDI mavic or the FIMI models but those are around $1,000. I will say that I’m very impressed with the Zino Pro so far.
          Keep us updated on the drone, if you only spent that amount I may be interested in one as well.

Comment

Also, if you have a leaf blower it can help slow the fire movement and even put it out. We use them all the time

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the leaf blower!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                Thanks for the tip on the leaf blower!
                If there isn’t a lot of wind it’ll easily put out the fire, or if it is a backfire(creeping into the wind). Obviously be careful with a head fire. They also work great when a fire is creeping through leaves.

Comment

3/4/2020 Update

We have received 1.6-inches of rain today so far, hoping we get another 1/4-inch by the end of the day. It looks like we have some more rain chances in the 10 day forecast. A good start to Spring!

The bulldozer will be out there on Thursday to start making all of the clearings. We are going to try to broadcast some native seed blends from Turned Seed in the newly cleared areas. We told the guy who is making the clearings to not clear cut anything and to take the approach of remove 10-15 cedars and leave 1. Our goal is to help promote better brush/browse, native grasses, and forbs to increase the amount of forage on our property.

Comment

3/4/2020 Update

We ended up getting 2.1-inches today. The ponds finally got some decent runoff. The little pond needs more water but we'll take what we can get.

Name:	IMG_5977 (Medium).jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	24609718

Name:	IMG_5978 (Medium).jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24609719

Comment

That’s awesome!! I think we had around 1.4” for the day, I’ll take every drop!

Comment

Clearing Pictures-3-9-2020

The dozer guy is out there and widening our shooting lanes, making small roads from small pond to feeders, and will be working on the larger clearings later this week. We a blackbuck doe eaten up in our 3-acre wheat field - eagles were picking it clean.

We are making these long clearings around 20-yards wide and will be planting them with Turner Seed's Native Perennial Grass/Forb mix. We are hoping these long meandering clearings and the 4 acre clearing will provide an additional 3,000lbs of native forage/acre (according to the Web Soil survey).

The wheat fields are starting to pop after the recent rain. You can see the white headed eagle/hawk on the ground and one flying in the air. Any ideas on what the two birds are with the white heads?

Name:	IMG_5985.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	24611655

Name:	IMG_5987.JPG
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	24611656

Name:	IMG_5988.JPG
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	24611657

Name:	IMG_5990 (Large).jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	24611658

Name:	IMG_5991 (Large).jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	24611659

Name:	IMG_5994 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	24611660

Name:	IMG_5998 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	24611661

Name:	IMG_5999 (Large).jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24611662

Name:	IMG_6001 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	24611663

Name:	IMG_6002 (Large).jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24611664

Sorry for the poor pictures, they were taken with an old phone.

Comment

Looking good!, bird with white head is a cara cara or Mexican eagle.

Comment

Caracara’s.

Comment

Thanks for the input on the Mexican eagle.

Comment

Ranch Clearing Pics

Here are some pictures of some more clearings. I'm hoping to have some good drone pictures and videos later this month.

Name:	IMG_3072 (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	24611834

Name:	IMG_6007 (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	24611835

Name:	IMG_6008 (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	24611836

Name:	IMG_6020 (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	24611837

Name:	IMG_6022 (Large).jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	24611838

Name:	IMG_6019 (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	24611839
                                The wheat, silver river clover, and burr clover are starting to pop with the recent rainfall.

For the 5-acre section we had the guy leave some small cedar mottes along withe the oaks and mesquites so that it's more like a staging area and not a clear and open field. We have a lot of burning to do!

Comment

Working...
                                X