Suppressed calibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
    I've used the search function 3 times today looking for suppressor ideas, and this thread didn't come up. I just got done texting my cousin about his setups. I know they're pretty expensive, and I don't have a gun with a threaded barrel. I'm mainly wanting something I can use at the house for coyotes and pigs that show up around 3 in the morning. Neighbors haven't complained yet, but I really don't like the fact that I'm probably waking them up. Most shots would be under 100 yards. I have a mini 14, Remington .243, and Remington .308 that I might be willing to get threaded, if possible. I was really thinking about finding a 22-250, but I don't know where to start.
    Hard to beat a 308 in my opinion. Isn't as racy as some calibers, but the ammo isn't expensive, and to be honest most people can't shoot better than it is capable of. Nothing wrong with 22-250, or 243 for that matter, either. Coyotes aren't particularly tough to kill so any of them will work fine. MINI14 is a decent rifle, but they aren't the easiest to suppress.

Good luck with your decision bud.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
      Hard to beat a 308 in my opinion. Isn't as racy as some calibers, but the ammo isn't expensive, and to be honest most people can't shoot better than it is capable of. Nothing wrong with 22-250, or 243 for that matter, either. Coyotes aren't particularly tough to kill so any of them will work fine. MINI14 is a decent rifle, but they aren't the easiest to suppress.

Good luck with your decision bud.

Thanks for your reply! Will a smaller caliber be quieter than a larger one with a suppressor? My neighbors are not real close, but probably 200 yards to the closest. Also, reason I was thinking 22-250, or even the mini 14 or .243 was accuracy due to recoil. I tend to pay less attention to holding tight when shooting from the back door... I need to work on that.

Comment

Running a 7.5” 300 BO w/AAC suppressor and thermal

20” 7mm-08 and a 20” 6.5 creed with silencerco omegas.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Will a smaller caliber be quieter than a larger one with a suppressor? My neighbors are not real close, but probably 200 yards to the closest. Also, reason I was thinking 22-250, or even the mini 14 or .243 was accuracy due to recoil. I tend to pay less attention to holding tight when shooting from the back door... I need to work on that.
          When you suppress any of them, you are going to see most of the recoil go away. Smaller cals dont correlate to quieter, slower will be quieter, but it doesnt make a ton of difference once you break the sound barrier. Some suppressors will be quieter than others, either due to better baffle or core designs, or simply having more area inside to dissipate the expanding gasses.
          I have a 338 Lapua that was absolutely punishing me before I suppressed it, the blast from the muzzle brake was making it very difficult for my spotter to stay on his scope too. It is a cream puff to shoot now.

Comment

My hiking gun is a sub 5 lb. 18" 7mm-08 with a Rugged Razor.
            Just picked up a 20" 6.5 Creed from APR that will wear the Razor as well as a Radiant whenever it clears the gubmint.

Comment

Not in my experience. You can’t do anything about the sonic crack unless you shoot subs which for the most part suck for killing critters.

I will say that a suppressed 300 blackout in a closed breech gun (non-semi Auto) is pretty darn quiet even with supersonic Ammo. But your .308 would be fine.

Most supersonic rounds are brought down to roughly the sound of a 22LR which is mainly the supersonic crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

NO it won't be noticeably quieter, and may be slightly louder.

SiCo Omega 30s on

AR 7.62x39 18"
                556 18"
                308 18"

Savage 12 22-250 18"

Savage 12 6.5 Creed 26"

Savage 12 308 18"

Browning A-Bolt 270 22"

SiCo Sparrow on

Volquartsen 17 WSM

Comment

.300 blackout - 1. Ruger American 16" barrel shooting Barnes 110 Tac-TX, and 190 Hornady sub-X with a Q Thunder chicken
                  2. PSA upper 16" barrel shooting 190 gr Hornady sub-x with the Q Thunder chicken

.22 - 1. Ruger Mark IV 22/45 shoots: subs, supers, shorts with the Q El Camino

.17WSM - Savage B-mag 20" barrel shooting 20gr Winchester ammo with the Q El Camino.

Works great for me. Working up a load for the 110's and as soon as I get some 190 sub-x heads will be working up handloads for those as well.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Also a SiCo Spectre on a
                    Sig 1911-22
                    Ruger 10/22 Takedown &
                    10/22 Charger

With subs the Charger is like a mouse fart.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                      My newest is a 338 Federal 10" with a Silencerco Hybrid. Use the same suppressor on a 300 Blackout 10", 6.5 Grendel 12", and 450 Bushmaster 10.5"
                      Have integrally suppressed 6.5 Manbun, 308 Savage Model 12 26" that I can use several suppressors on, and several "chassis" rifles (not really for hunting), that use the Silencerco Hybrid as well. Also have a Saker that moves around good bit. I got others, but those are the ones that work the best.
                      Are you pleased with sound suppression from the hybrid? I bought one too still in jail,I’ll be suppressing 458 socom,6.5grendel,300blk, and a few different.308 cartridge calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                        Are you pleased with sound suppression from the hybrid? I bought one too still in jail,I’ll be suppressing 458 socom,6.5grendel,300blk, and a few different.308 cartridge calibers.

I’ve got a hybrid, definitely much louder on my 308 than my Saker. I am ordering a 9mm end cap for it, so that may help. The .46 end cap is pretty large for a 308.
                        When it’s on 9mm (CZ Scorpion) it’s about the same my Omega 9K, so I’m hoping the end cap helps there too.
                        I’m still glad I bought it though. It should be awesome on your 458.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                          I’ve got a hybrid, definitely much louder on my 308 than my Saker. I am ordering a 9mm end cap for it, so that may help. The .46 end cap is pretty large for a 308.
                          When it’s on 9mm (CZ Scorpion) it’s about the same my Omega 9K, so I’m hoping the end cap helps there too.
                          I’m still glad I bought it though. It should be awesome on your 458.

I mainly want it for the socom but I do plan on running it a lot on the 300blk. I plan on getting the .308 and 223 end caps that should help with sound reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                            It isn't movies quiet, but that isn't really why I bought it. Its plenty good for hunting, and is by far the most versatile can i own. Tbac is a good bit quieter, but the cost also reflects that.
                            I think you will be pleased with it. As mentioned above, matching the end cap to the caliber will help with the suppression, but I find myself usually just leaving the 46 cal brake on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Most supersonic rounds are brought down to roughly the sound of a 22LR which is mainly the supersonic crack.

This is what I was wanting to know. If it's going to be as loud as a .22LR, I'll save my money and continue to use my .22LR. I can definitely drop them with it, as most of my shots are 40-60 yards. I was hoping for something sounding more like a pellet rifle. Wishful thinking I guess.
                              Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Not in my experience. You can’t do anything about the sonic crack unless you shoot subs which for the most part suck for killing critters.

I will say that a suppressed 300 blackout in a closed breech gun (non-semi Auto) is pretty darn quiet even with supersonic Ammo. But your .308 would be fine.

I agree, with what you are trying to do, one of the short bolt guns in 300 BO would fit the bill. You can buy both subs and supers right there off the shelf at Academy.

Once you see how nice shooting suppressed can be you can buy another rifle more fitting for whatever else you are doing and use the same can on it. Just swap out when need be.
                                My direct threaded can gets used on several different guns. It resides on whichever I am using at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X