No announcement yet.

Drainage issue input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you just put bar grating over the entire top lip?

Comment

First thing, Fence that off before someone gets hurt.

Comment

[QUOTE=TexaRican;15708467]I was told by the office that does construction permits that the drain is mine. Other home owners with similar setups have been told the same. Is it legal? Not sure but I know our property association will do anything they can to shirk responsibility (expense).

I can’t do video but here is a screenshot of video I took the day we had 4 inches in 2 hours. It works well for my section of road. In places where folks don't keep their ditches and driveway culverts cleaned out houses just flood.
        Yeah, my heartburn over the whole deal is the “my” drain keeps a dozen or more houses from flooding but all the expense falls on me. Thinking I might start a gofundme and hit up the neighbors. I’m sure this will be expensive.

I would go back and look at your lot survey to determine if there are any dedicated easements shown. Also check with the county for any easements filed after the lot was developed. the drainage system along the street is a "designed" system which SHOULD have been designed from beginning to end (outfall to the creek). Your property is being negatively impacted (catching additional flow volume from the drainage area caused by development of properties upstream. If that was the plan all along then an easement should have been added to your property. I can't recall a property owner being legally responsible for installing and or maintaining a public utility unless agreed to in writing. Your HOA is typical of every HOA out there. They like to pass the buck on anything that is going to cost them money. They'll threaten you with all kinds of legal action until you either fix it yourself or lawyer up.
        On top of this, storm drain systems are designed by engineers (or supposed to be) to carry a certain amount of from a certain rain event (i.e a 25, 50, 100 year storm event). Many times outside of a city's limits (and sometimes within) this is left up to an employee who comes out and looks at it then advises what size culvert(s) should be installed. The individual typically uses the WAG (wild arse guess) method to make the determination. A 4 inch rain event in two hours is going to be well over the carrying capacity of the pipe size you've shown in your picture (this comment is based on my experience with a sprinkling of WAG thrown in for good measure )

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
          Up closer to the top of the pipe they put some fill dirt in where water eroded the ground around the pipe. This is believed to have been caused by water coming over the top when the pipe entry was clogged up. Anyway, that dirt is now caving in and causing hazard as well.
          I dropped a light down the pipe to inspect and can’t see any collapse. It does bend to a point where I can’t see to the very end but with the way water comes out of the hole at the bottom I think the pipe is ok.
          It’s probably a 10 foot drop from the pipe entry 60 feet down the slope to the exit.

Yes, that is all my property and that is the Brazos river at near flood stage in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I do not believe this is the end of your pipe. The end is farther out there somewhere and I'm pretty sure its blocked due to being collapsed. The current "outlet" of the pipe is just a rotted out hole in the pipe where the water has pushed to the surface. I could be wrong but I'm afraid that whole thing needs rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
            I do not believe this is the end of your pipe. The end is farther out there somewhere and I'm pretty sure its blocked due to being collapsed. The current "outlet" of the pipe is just a rotted out hole in the pipe where the water has pushed to the surface. I could be wrong but I'm afraid that whole thing needs rebuilt.
            That pic is up closer to the pipe entry point. At the end in the big hole I can see the pipe end. It is not collapsed and is obviously purposely done that way with stone surrounding the end.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              That pic is up closer to the pipe entry point. At the end in the big hole I can see the pipe end. It is not collapsed and is obviously purposely done that way with stone surrounding the end.
              I understand now...

Comment

I bet the pipe blew out from being undersized for the rain water drainage and bubbles up and over yard creating issue (Picture from post #10).

I would be asking to see documentation that home owner is responsible for drainage and I would also be verifying that with survey, easement documentation and county drainage district. Sure seems like hogwash that your responsible for drainage on your street.

Comment

If you put a decent/bright shop light at the entry point, can you take a picture up the pipe from the exit point?

Post if you can.

J

Comment

Good luck Mr Rican. If no documentation could be presented to me…Id rip out the pipe and use the trench left behind and grade a swale. Much more efficient and much less dangerous for moving water.

I wonder how often that pipe has to be cleaned. Some folks call those things drain tiles…it sure can be called a liability.

Comment

Unfortunately the documentation is in the rules and covenants I signed when moving here. Did I read it all then? No
                      Should the realtor who got a fat check just for showing me 3 houses have investigated this and alerted me? Heck yes.
                      (above is why I hate our scam real estate system and DID NOT use a sellers agent when I sold my last 3 homes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't believe your responsible for repairs. Should fall on the owner of the easement to maintain it. You didn't build/design it. Think talking to an attorney would be a good start.

Comment

So if your outlet is lower than the river height I don't believe your inlet will drain and is why you are backing up. I'm in a similar situation with the subdivision outlets get covered up by creek and the storm drains back up into the streets.

Comment

I got the same exact problem, contact a private engineer, and county or city engineer, ask for them to figure out what to do for safety purposes and erosion prevention
                            My problem was result of up stream developments
                            Ultimately a engineer is going to have to design the fix

Comment

Lemme quarterback this.

1. You have stone/conc spillway/open channel that collects drainage from road/upstream drainage areas. slopes down from road in your pic.
                              2. This moderate slope spillway collects into a catch basin.
                              3. The catch basin provides a ~2’ drop (more?) from spillway lip to pipe outfall.
                              4. Catch basin outfall pipe goes underground for a while then THAT outfall is basically a hole.
                              5. Catch basin and underground pipe eventually fills with water and eventually water comes out of dumbazz hole outfall at end.
                              6. Water overflows from dumbazz hole then sheet flows on down to brazos?

Why didn’t they just take that spillway and continue the slope down to point where it can drain to the brazos? If you have .5-1% slope on a spillway with curbs like that, that dog will drain all day. Seems like a BS way to cut cost on longer spillway. If nothing else it was a terrible design.

Does your catch basin on 3. Backup such that it floods your driveway during big gully washer rain?

Send me the survey you got when you purchased the house. Will take a look for you RE the easement. You have title report with exemption schedule?

HOA should have original subdivision plans but if it’s from 1955....who knows

Civil engineer here. Can take a quick look if you’d like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

1995. Not 1955. Should have plans for sure! Get Em.

Are you in city limits?

You have learned that a realtor doesn’t give a crap about your property other than closing. 99% know absolutely nothing about residential design/development/or construction.

99% of land development civil engineering design is grading and drainage. The rest is stuff that anyone with HS degree can be taught to do.

Anyone else in the neighborhood have similar outfall condition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X