Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with Great Pyrenees on your deer lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My place is across a dirt road from a place that runs sheep. They have GP dogs to protect the sheep but they have too many dogs. The dogs begin to wander around and leave the sheep when they get bored. I have had them get on my place and I believe they run off deer. While turkey hunting last spring with my son, we had two GP chase our calves. I went to the owner and told him what happened and he got rid of those two dogs. If the dogs have a job I believe they will stay where they belong but if there are too many they wander.

Comment

The place I hunt the neighbor has goats and sheep ... he has two huge white dogs they have are always I mean always with the goats but I have had them on my trail cam cruzing thru but never affected the deer patterns... !

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
        I too had a bad experience with goats one time. Never again.
        Were you wearing rubber boots at the time.

Comment

Our place has two . Their a pain ! I like most dogs but they have ruined several hunts for me barking . I think I'm gonna start taking dog food with me & if their close by I'll either hunt a different stand or feed them away from the stand as far as I can.

Comment

I hunted a place in junction for 3 yrs that had several of them. They weren't a problem but I wouldn't let my dog have free reign if they are close. My lease was large and we didn't have much close interaction with them. Once they traveled through our camp on a hot summer day. I poured some water ina bowl for them and they wouldn't touch it. Very stand offish dogs those ones were. I never heard them bark.

Comment

Had them when I was a kid. They will kill any dogs. Coyote killing machines. Unless they think something is dangerous to their herd I can't see them chasing it

Comment

My neighbor has one. His goes ape **** when it hears coyotes and walks a few hundred yards in their direction to get a sense for how far away they are. Great dogs but they do bark a lot!!! Mostly at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've hunted around them and personally don't like them at all. I've never felt at ease when walking in/out around them because they were fairly aggressive. I'm sure there are some great ones, but the few I've been around were hard to trust.

Comment

I had a Great Pyrenees for 13 years. Had a character similar to mature Golden Retrievers I've been around.

Never chased a deer, was trusted by and friendly with llamas, and allowed small kids to do anything to him. He ignored cats like they didn't exist, but he always killed every rabbit and squirrel he could catch.

Comment

Not a GP, but our Anatolian Shepherd use to roam with our horses and wouldn't leave there side. Never chased a deer, but would whoop any other dogs @** if it was out there. Very protective, he would lick the truck and ground clean if you had a dead deer around. Just to keep predators away.
                      Last edited by Laner7; 01-05-2017, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                        You must have been leasing from my Uncle David (East of Caddo a couple of miles on south side of Hwy 180)
                        Sure was.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          We've been 100% successful doing just that since 2008 with 11 pens. Goat wire or panels..
                          You should buy lottery tickets
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have witnessed them chasing deer on my place more than once. I talked to the land owner over a mile away and he didn't know they were roaming??? He took care of it before I did.

Comment

Nothing like a young goat with his head stuck in a feed pen panel to ruin opening morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X